The Student Room Group

Would you report self harm?

Well long story short going back to school next week and going to have a chat with my teacher, I am so scared so have asked one of my closest friends to sit in on it with us to make me calmer.
I have never told my friend that I self harmed but I think she might now (I never told anyone in school but some how they know I guess it was from getting changed for PE well anyway I don t know who knows and who doesn t) well I am pretty sure she kind of does.
Well to get to the point if my friend told my teacher she thought I was self harming would the teacher have to report it?
Thank you!
Yes, the teacher would have to report it.
The teacher would need to report it to someone above you in the school but they aren't able to deal with it any further unless they involve you in it. If you went to talk to they instead of letting your anxiety drown you in possibilities they will be able to find you useful strategies and other methods. Your friends won't judge you for it because they will understand that you life isn't always good, but if you don't talk; even to those closest to you, at home or at school, then they won't be able to help you.

They won't go and instantly complain to your parents if you tell them not to because of confidentiality.
They are able to request to see them and they will keep reinforcing to use clean blades and to keep the cuts clean, giving you some wipes from first aid or similar. But they can't legally tell anyone unless it becomes a major problem, like if it got infected or if it didn't stop bleeding.

The report wouldn't go to the head teacher, most likely it would go to the first aider of the building and some of your teachers would be made aware of it as an observational standpoint. If you trust your friend they will be there to help you but you should try and talk to the teacher directly and tell them what is going on.

They may suggest counselling but they won't go telling your parents because of confidentiality.

If you need to talk to someone then feel free to PM me as I'm always about to talk.

//Note - - I have been in your situation. Thats why I'm explaining what happened to me and why its likely going to happen for you.
//Note - - I would recommend making sure they remember confidentiality but this may mean your friend can't be present.

Otherwise, Good luck. :smile:
Original post by hollyobxox
Well long story short going back to school next week and going to have a chat with my teacher, I am so scared so have asked one of my closest friends to sit in on it with us to make me calmer.
I have never told my friend that I self harmed but I think she might now (I never told anyone in school but some how they know I guess it was from getting changed for PE well anyway I don t know who knows and who doesn t) well I am pretty sure she kind of does.
Well to get to the point if my friend told my teacher she thought I was self harming would the teacher have to report it?
Thank you!

A friend told my deputy year head i was SHing back in the day, and he asked to see me one lunch time and looked at my wrists, wrote stuff down. Though i dont remember anything happening from it, though this was about 10 years ago now, and i think i was already seeing the school councellor anyway.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply