The Student Room Group

I definitely want to go to university, but I'm not sure what to do degree wise. Help!

Resolved.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by satanicwarmaster
Hi.

What should I do? Any advice on how to proceed?

Hi Satanicwarmaster,

have you considered either of (a) doing a Liberal Arts degree, the tasters menu? (b) Doing a degree in a new, non-school, subject?

http://www.exeter.ac.uk/fch/
Take as much time out as you need. There's no rush to go to uni.
Reply 3
Hi. I take A-levels in English Literature, History and Government and Politics. As you can see, I'm academically oriented towards the humanities. I envisage doing an academic degree in that field. Having had a taste of my A-level subjects, though, I'm still not sure what to do specifically. (It doesn't help that I have no idea what I want to do career wise, but I'll worry about that later).

As such, I don't think I'm ready to apply to university this year. I don't want to rush things and choose any subject. There is a risk that I might not enjoy it. I'll end up effectively wasting a year's loan.

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to sort out my thoughts on what I'd like to do while I was in the middle of my AS-levels. I know that's probably not a good excuse, though - I should've thought about this way earlier.

It's a good option to take a gap years o you could think about things more clearly. Have you ever considered doing journalism in uni?
Original post by AzimH
It's a good option to take a gap years o you could think about things more clearly. Have you ever considered doing journalism in uni?

You bumped a 2 month old thread. :tongue:

Why journalism? :smile:

Anyway, I have an idea of what I want to study now. I'm considering a degree in History or Politics or a combination (History and Politics).

Although I've shortlisted a couple History/Politics/History and Politics degrees from my choice of universities, I'm not in a strong position to apply for them next year. So I'm definitely taking a gap year.

For one, I didn't get stellar AS grades, so I'll probably get not so stellar predicted grades. I don't think my choice of universities would consider me seriously if they go by my predicted grades. I'll be getting two of my exam papers remarked. One exam mark was painfully close to the next highest grade and I don't feel the other exam mark reflected how I felt I performed in the exam. If the remarks for the exam papers yield no significant improvement in marks, then I'll have to resit the two exams or at least one of them. I'll be focusing on smashing my A2 exams, along with an AS resit or two (maximum 2 AS resits) if I have to resit. Hopefully, I can improve my overall grades significantly next year and apply in January 2017 with achieved grades.

Also, I have to focus on writing my personal statement, but I literally have no idea what to write. I need some inspiration, so I'll be reading up on the subjects. There's no way I can write a decent personal statement by January 2016. I'd rather not rush it.

What do you think? Any additional suggestions in the light of the above?
Reply 5
You bumped a 2 month old thread. :tongue:

Why journalism? :smile:

Anyway, I have an idea of what I want to study now. I'm considering a degree in History or Politics or a combination (History and Politics).

Although I've shortlisted a couple History/Politics/History and Politics degrees from my choice of universities, I'm not in a strong position to apply for them next year. So I'm definitely taking a gap year.

For one, I didn't get stellar AS grades, so I'll probably get not so stellar predicted grades. I don't think my choice of universities would consider me seriously if they go by my predicted grades. I'll be getting two of my exam papers remarked. One exam mark was painfully close to the next highest grade and I don't feel the other exam mark reflected how I felt I performed in the exam. If the remarks for the exam papers yield no significant improvement in marks, then I'll have to resit the two exams or at least one of them. I'll be focusing on smashing my A2 exams, along with an AS resit or two (maximum 2 AS resits) if I have to resit. Hopefully, I can improve my overall grades significantly next year and apply in January 2017 with achieved grades.

Also, I have to focus on writing my personal statement, but I literally have no idea what to write. I need some inspiration, so I'll be reading up on the subjects. There's no way I can write a decent personal statement by January 2016. I'd rather not rush it.

What do you think? Any additional suggestions in the light of the above?

Oooh haha I didn't realize it was 2 months old lol. I literally saw it in latest discussions for some odd reason. Remember to try to sell yourself in your personal statement. What characteristics do you carry and how does it relate to the course you're choosing? I think you may enjoy journalism as a whole. You seem like a intelligent person who has valid points and opinions (from what I've seen)
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by AzimH
Oooh haha I didn't realize it was 2 months old lol. I literally saw it in latest discussions for some odd reason. Remember to try to sell yourself in your personal statement. What characteristics do you carry and how does it relate to the course you're choosing? I think you may enjoy journalism as a whole. You seem like a intelligent person who has valid opinions (from what I've seen)

That's my predicament. I can't think of anything, haha. I'll somehow manage, though. I have until mid-January 2017 to come up with a decent personal statement. :smile:

Thank you! Journalism seems scary, though. xD I don't think I'll be pursuing a journalism degree, but I may consider journalism as a possible career. Again, thank you. :biggrin:

As this thread has been kicked off again...I'd thoroughly recommend you don't apply for 2016 - it sounds like you've now decided that anyway, but stick with your decision even if someone tries to persuade you otherwise. Far better to take a year out and get yourself in the position you need to be in to make an informed set of UCAS choices than rush it for 2016 entry.

Don't stress too much over your personal statement. As it is, you won't have to worry about it until this time next year anyway, but I'm just saying don't get overly hung up on it. It's worth taking your time over it and making it as good as you can, but ultimately it's only 4000 characters, so it's not like you can convey a long history of engagement with the subject even if you have it.
Reply 8
That's my predicament. I can't think of anything, haha. I'll somehow manage, though. I have until mid-January 2017 to come up with a decent personal statement. :smile:

Thank you! Journalism seems scary, though. xD I don't think I'll be pursuing a journalism degree, but I may consider journalism as a possible career. Again, thank you. :biggrin:

No problem! Yeah it does seem a bit of a scary degree since they want perfectionists. I wish you all the best and keep us all up to date on how you do. Take care :smile:

Most of the journalists I have worked with studied another subject at undergraduate level and then journalism at postgraduate. For either approach, however, you will have to demonstrate your commitment to journalism i.e. you need to have written blogs, reviews, articles etc.
Hi. I take A-levels in English Literature, History and Government and Politics. As you can see, I'm academically oriented towards the humanities. I envisage doing an academic degree in that field. Having had a taste of my A-level subjects, though, I'm still not sure what to do specifically. (It doesn't help that I have no idea what I want to do career wise, but I'll worry about that later).

As such, I don't think I'm ready to apply to university this year. I don't want to rush things and choose any subject. There is a risk that I might not enjoy it. I'll end up effectively wasting a year's loan.

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to sort out my thoughts on what I'd like to do while I was in the middle of my AS-levels. I know that's probably not a good excuse, though - I should've thought about this way earlier.

Try this:
http://www.ukcoursefinder.com/

It's free to register and may give you some ideas -

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending