The Student Room Group

Why are Sikhs allowed to carry religious dagger?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Historyfrenchfan
Homosexuality can kill people but it isn't banned. Same principal in a different context.

Wtf? How can you compare homosexuality to a knife you fool? I'm guessing you are a sikh and this is your best argument against it..
Reply 21
Original post by jshep000
The same reason a muslim wears a hijab, it's part of their religion lmao

Yeah, you never know. She could stab you with the hijab :redface:
Original post by lucaf
Not exactly the same. People are not allowed to carry knives, except Sikhs.

Not sure about how I feel about that to be honest. I don't like religious exceptions, but it isn't like we have much of a problem of Sikhs stabbing people. Maybe just make them wear blunt ones :dontknow:

If Christians had to carry knives as part of their religion it would be accepted.
If Christians had to carry knives as part of their religion it would be accepted.

You have failed to make a case for why religious people shouldn't have to follow the law
Reply 24

Probably, but that would be because that would have been the norm in Britain for centuries, so carrying knives in general would be legal. As it is carrying knives is illegal, so there probably shouldn't be exemptions.
You call me dumb yet you can't spell you're. Great logic.

14 year confirmed. Grow up kid, carrying a massive knife is a lot more dangerous to society than gay people. That is the stupidest thing I've ever heard anyone say. Homophobic ****.
All of the Sikhs that I know that carry kirpans carry blunt ones.

Also, take a look at the date stamps for all of these websites. These articles are years apart, showing just how rare these attacks are. Also, bare in mind that on of these articles is a debate on whether or not kirpans should be legal, whilst another is about a man being cleared by a court of using it in an attack.

In reality, people who are saying that Sikhs shouldn't be able to carry kirpans are really clutching at straws. How about we focus on solving real issues first, before looking to pick on minorities.
Original post by Jasaron

Also, take a look at the date stamps for all of these websites. These articles are years apart, showing just how rare these attacks are. Also, bare in mind that on of these articles is a debate on whether or not kirpans should be legal, whilst another is about a man being cleared by a court of using it in an attack.

In reality, people who are saying that Sikhs shouldn't be able to carry kirpans are really clutching at straws. How about we focus on solving real issues first, before looking to pick on minorities.

they may be years apart but still does not mean that the kirpan is somehow a peaceful object. It is dangerous= it is a dagger.
Original post by Mark8346
You have failed to make a case for why religious people shouldn't have to follow the law

As it is part of their belief. You shouldn't criticize religious people , what harm are they doing to you?
Original post by RoundTrip
14 year confirmed. Grow up kid, carrying a massive knife is a lot more dangerous to society than gay people. That is the stupidest thing I've ever heard anyone say. Homophobic ****.

Well I'm obviously not 14, I'm 18 as you can see me posting in the a level sections of the student room but if you want to be ignorant that's fine by me.
they need to protect themselves against muslims brah

they did defeat them after all in order to protect the hindus from being wiped off the planet, much respect!

1st, 2nd world wars, Sikhs played a major part.

It's the least we can do for the community which has integrated so well.
Original post by Silly_Monkey
they may be years apart but still does not mean that the kirpan is somehow a peaceful object. It is dangerous= it is a dagger.

Plastic bags are dangerous if you stick them over a toddler's head. Should we outlaw them, too? My point is, just because something is dangerous, it doesn't mean it causes harm. As I said, many Sikhs carry blunt kirpans, used in religious ceremonies.
Original post by Jasaron
Plastic bags are dangerous if you stick them over a toddler's head. Should we outlaw them, too? My point is, just because something is dangerous, it doesn't mean it causes harm. As I said, many Sikhs carry blunt kirpans, used in religious ceremonies.

Plastic bags are used to carry stuff from the supermarkets. It is dagger, a sharp object that can kill. It is dangerous- how do you feel about guns?
Reply 33
Original post by Mark8346
Asking why religious people don't have to follow the law is racism?

People who are not Sikhs are also civilized, and also do not go around killing people. They still can't carry daggers though.

weapons (wsords with a curved blade) idk about daggers used solely for religious/ceremonial purposes aren't illegal
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Jasaron

This is not relevant. Any decisions that are made should not be based on your personal experience with Sikhs.

Original post by Jasaron

Also, take a look at the date stamps for all of these websites. These articles are years apart, showing just how rare these attacks are.

So religious people should be allowed to ignore the law - as long as the consequences for the law being ignored are spread out over long periods of time in the newspapers? Is this how a civilized society decides if laws should be enforced..?

Original post by Jasaron
In reality, people who are saying that Sikhs shouldn't be able to carry kirpans are really clutching at straws.

Well, I think that people who claim religious people have the right to ignore the law are clutching at straws.

Original post by Jasaron
How about we focus on solving real issues first, before looking to pick on minorities.

So either we solve "real issues" (as if religious people having the right to ignore the law isn't an issue to begin with), or we "pick on minorities" (by not allowing them to ignore the law at will). What makes you think that "real issues" cannot be tackled at the same time as tacking the issue of religious people thinking that their supernatural belief means they can ignore the law?
Original post by Jasaron

But it's a jail sentence and a fine for anyone who isn't a sikh who carries it. It should be allowed for all then. We all have to right to self defence not just sikhs
Isin't this sword/knife thing called a Khalsa.
Plastic bags are used to carry stuff from the supermarkets. It is dagger, a sharp object that can kill. It is dangerous- how do you feel about guns?

i would not expect a muslim like yourself to be tolerant towards Sikhs. Hence why muslim nations that are not tolerate get "liberated".

Enjoy being ignorant brah.

And many kirpans, as I've said, are blunt. Regardless, the point I make is still correct. You say that plastic bags' use to kill is somehow negated by its main use. Kirpans' main use isn't to kill; it's for ceremonial purposes.

You speak about guns, and I'd imagine your next step would be to compare them to kirpans. I personally believe that, if people carrying guns didn't result in huge numbers of murders per year, it'd be alright to carry them. However, using the USA as a prime example, we've seen that carrying guns does, in fact, result in murders. Kirpans, on the other hand, have been carried for decades, and have not had the same effect. As a result, I can conclude that there is no real comparison to be made between a gun and a kirpan.
Original post by Bealzibub
Wtf? How can you compare homosexuality to a knife you fool? I'm guessing you are a sikh and this is your best argument against it..

No I don't follow a particular religion

Quick Reply

Latest