The Student Room Group

Why is everyone obsessed about homosexuality now?

There have been so many threads about gay marriage and homosexuality this week. I know it's the Supreme Court decision and the pride events but why does everyone feel that we should debate this? There are so many issues that are far more important but why do you think that people are fixating on the gay issue?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by hoping4Astars
There have been so many threads about gay marriage and homosexuality this week. I know it's the Supreme Court decision and the pride events but why does everyone feel that we should debate this? There are so many issues that are far more important but why do you think that people are fixating on the gay issue?

'gay issue'??? What does that mean?

Generally, sexuality tends to be a highly debated topic because it's seen as controversial by some, and is also highly personal to anyone who falls under the umbrella term 'gay' (I say umbrella term because it's used synonymously with lgbtqia+)
Reply 2
Sexuality is a core part of human nature... but i totally get what you mean when you say it's not "a big issue".
Reply 3
This whole gay marriage thing is just a bandwagon that is spinning out of control.
Original post by HuggleyDuck

Generally, sexuality tends to be a highly debated topic because it's seen as controversial by some, and is also highly personal to anyone who falls under the umbrella term 'gay' (I say umbrella term because it's used synonymously with lgbtqia+)

By gay issue I meant all the debate about gay marriage and homosexuality. I just feel that we should focus on other issues like racism and sexism.
By gay issue I meant all the debate about gay marriage and homosexuality. I just feel that we should focus on other issues like racism and sexism.

Stop being so 'gay' about it man :laugh::laugh::laugh:

I meant why did you use the word 'issue'?
I meant why did you use the word 'issue'?

An issue is an important topic for debate or discussion. Gay marriage is a debated topic, so it is an issue.
I suppose because how extreme peoples views on it are. To me, it seems like an absolute no brainer. If two people love each other, they should be able to get married regardless of gender (and ignoring all other issues on the matter). However there are still people who strongly disagree and the supreme court decision was 5-4.

Other countries go further banning any form of homosexuality. Russia for example is a disgrace with gay people commonly heated up over their sexual orientation and I saw a documentary where a teacher who was supportive to gay pupils faced a hate campaign. Literally people in their spare time campaigned to get this women sacked.

I think it serves as a reminder. As a straight person I have never been bullied or faced discrimination over my sexuality. However in some countries, people face jail time or violence over their sexual orientation. Every time a decision like this is made, it is interesting to look at social media. Lots of people were very supportive of this. Others threatened to move to Canada (lol when they get there) or made angry comments about this being a disgrace.

Of course there are lots of important issues but this is a key one to discuss. This touches on other areas like religion and is about how human beings treat each other.
An issue is an important topic for debate or discussion. Gay marriage is a debated topic, so it is an issue.

Yes, but the term does have negative connotations. I was asking (albeit not clearly I suppose) if you were commenting negatively or not.
Yes, but the term does have negative connotations. I was asking (albeit not clearly I suppose) if you were commenting negatively or not.

No I didn't mean to comment negatively. Sorry if I caused offence- I didn't mean it.
No I didn't mean to comment negatively. Sorry if I caused offence- I didn't mean it.

No, no, don't worry, you didn't cause offence. I was just wondering what angle you were coming from.
Homophobes are obsessed with homosexuality, this isnt new and theres a gay bashing thread posted every week, where have you been?
Reply 13
Original post by driftawaay
Homophobes are obsessed with homosexuality, this isnt new and theres a gay bashing thread posted every week, where have you been?

I mean it is expected of homophobes to be obssessed with gay people lol..
Although I haven't seen many gay bashing threads I don't think it's right. No one should be bashed, homosexual or not.
Original post by rhadawey
I mean it is expected of homophobes to be obssessed with gay people lol..
Although I haven't seen many gay bashing threads I don't think it's right. No one should be bashed, homosexual or not.

There's a new one whenever I log in. Just right now there is a new one 'gay agenda is being pushed down on us to keep the population down'.

LGBTQIA, jeez that's three letters too long, LGBT is fine.

Unless we make up something for U as well, turn the acronym into QUILTBAG so it's a complete joke.

They're all tied up into each other. Lesbian women experience homophobia in a lot of different ways to gay men, for instance, and white people who aren't straight will have a different experience again to people of colour who are gay or bi or something. Of course we should focus on those issues, but it's not like they're isolated problems. For instance the objectification of lesbians as being really hot and essentially a spectacle for people to get off on, is both a sexist issue and a homophobic one.
Original post by Skip_Snip

Unless we make up something for U as well, turn the acronym into QUILTBAG so it's a complete joke.

There's a lot of people in the asexual, aromantic and agender/non-binary communities who are trying really hard to be recognised and listened to as orientations and Intersex people are constantly erased or turned into jokes. So I mean yes LGBT is shorter and easier, I get it, but there is a reason why they've started including other letters.
Why does it matter if people want ro talk/debate over homosexuality.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Skip_Snip

I use lgbtqia+ because its the most commonly used acronym used by the sexuality/gender bloggers I follow.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending