The Student Room Group

Why gay marriage is wrong

Marriage is a religious ceremony/idea. Therefore, if it is up to that religion to decide whether or not to allow gay marriage. An alternative, such as a civil partnerships, whereby they have exactly the same rights, should be available, but the government should not be allowed to force a religion to accept something it does not feel is right.
If a government were to do this to any other ideas that a religion had, then people would be up in arms about that government being like a dictatorship, so they should not be able to do this.
Rant over...

Scroll to see replies

Not all marriages are religious. A religion is still free to decide whether to permit a religious gay marriage. Religion probably borrowed the concept of marriage from the days before the religions were made up anyway.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2
Except civil marriages are a thing, so you are absolutely wrong. Plus the ban meant that any religions that actually did want to allow gay marriages (Quakers I think) are unable to, so not allowing it doesn't even promote religious freedom.
(edited 8 years ago)
But civil partnerships don't give the same rights as marriages and the fact you have to refer to your relationship in a different manner than everyone else when it is the same seems silly to me.

As far as I know, religious people don't have to give the weddings if they don't want to anyway.

Honestly it is a little sad that the idea of two people who love each other and happen to be the same gender need the validation of in many case lots of irrelevant people to decide whether they can get married or not.
Marriage was a concept a long time before any of the Abrahamic religions started to exist.
It's not wrong
Any reason why you've opted for anonymity? Scared to admit that this is your view?
Because the bible says marriage is between a man and woman...

...the bible also apparently says a woman who gets divorced should be stoned to death :yy:
So... which religion are we talking about here?
Reply 9
Unreligious people can get married, so it's not forcing a religion to accept it

Civil unions do not hold the same rights as marriage. If they did then it would be marriage pretty much just under another name

A wedding is a religious ceremony though

Are you okay with homosexual marriage if it was called something other than 'marriage' and did not include a wedding?

I don't think a religion should be able to stop other religious people or unreligious from entering a law binding agreement between two people whose genitals are the same, kinda unfair :/ all the government is doing is not allowing suppression of such an occurrence, they not forcing anything to happen. Look at it from this point of view, your religion is dictating, not the government, sorry :frown:
Reply 10
Original post by Anonymous
Marriage is a religious ceremony/idea. Therefore, if it is up to that religion to decide whether or not to allow gay marriage. An alternative, such as a civil partnerships, whereby they have exactly the same rights, should be available, but the government should not be allowed to force a religion to accept something it does not feel is right.
If a government were to do this to any other ideas that a religion had, then people would be up in arms about that government being like a dictatorship, so they should not be able to do this.
Rant over...

The origin of marriage has little relation to its present day use; it was originally about the exchange of capital, had previously allowed for a man to rape his wife and be her 'owner' with monogamy allowed, and often encouraged, and many other things which are, evidently, alien to its continuation today. Institutions do, and must, evolve in order to ensure their survival - they change within the context of society which has, whether or not you like to see it that way, fundamentally changed. Using historical ownership as a reason, let alone the prevailing reason as you're presenting it, to justify its continuity is plain wrong on both moral and practical grounds.

But, in actual fact, your whole premise is wrong. In European nations, marriage was traditionally considered a civil institution. Around 5AD great Christian theologians such as Augustine wrote about marriage and the Christian Church started taking an interest in the ceremony.

Rant over.
Original post by anj4845
The origin of marriage has little relation to its present day use; it was originally about the exchange of capital, had previously allowed for a man to rape his wife and be her 'owner' with monogamy allowed, and often encouraged, and many other things which are, evidently, alien to its continuation today. Institutions do, and must, evolve in order to ensure their survival - they change within the context of society which has, whether or not you like to see it that way, fundamentally changed. Using historical ownership as a reason, let alone the prevailing reason as you're presenting it, to justify its continuity is plain wrong on both moral and practical grounds.

But, in actual fact, your whole premise is wrong. In European nations, marriage was traditionally considered a civil institution. Around 5AD great Christian theologians such as Augustine wrote about marriage and the Christian Church started taking an interest in the ceremony.

Rant over.

Except that your premise id dependent upon when traditions began. I would suggest that it was when modern day culture started to be introduced, which was mainly done by by the Romans, which, funnily, coincides with the christian interest in marriage.
Reply 12
Original post by Hydeman
Any reason why you've opted for anonymity? Scared to admit that this is your view?

Probably cause he doesn't want to be identified because you get discriminated against for having a "wrong" opinion.
Reply 13
Except that your premise id dependent upon when traditions began. I would suggest that it was when modern day culture started to be introduced, which was mainly done by by the Romans, which, funnily, coincides with the christian interest in marriage.

Would you argue that gay people don't deserve to have the same pensions as heterosexual married couples? Or that they don't deserve to reap the same benefits?
Original post by Asurat
Would you argue that gay people don't deserve to have the same pensions as heterosexual married couples? Or that they don't deserve to reap the same benefits?

No, I quite clearly said in my OP that my problem with gay marriage is that it is a religious ceremony, not that it means that they get the same rights. I am not against gays in general, just the idea that religions have to accept something to which they are ideologically opposed.
Reply 15

Well actually, in ancient Rome, in the early Imperial period, male couples were celebrating traditional marriage rites. Both Martial and Juvenal refer to marriage between men as something that occurred not infrequently, although they disapproved of it. It's only as the empire was becoming christianised in the 4th century that legal prohibitions against gay marriages began to appear. In fact, in ancient Greece bisexuality was even expected and completely normal with pre marital gestures taking place between same sex couples.

This all, however, doesn't justify stoping same-sex couples in the 21st century marry. We shouldn't be basing policy like this on historical arguments sprung from a religion which doesn't represent most of the country today.
Original post by anj4845
Well actually, in ancient Rome, in the early Imperial period, male couples were celebrating traditional marriage rites. Both Martial and Juvenal refer to marriage between men as something that occurred not infrequently, although they disapproved of it. It's only as the empire was becoming christianised in the 4th century that legal prohibitions against gay marriages began to appear. In fact, in ancient Greece bisexuality was even expected and completely normal with pre marital gestures taking place between same sex couples.

This all, however, doesn't justify stoping same-sex couples in the 21st century marry. We shouldn't be basing policy like this on historical arguments sprung from a religion which doesn't represent most of the country today.

I'm not saying that they should not be able to ne together. Lets be honest, why does it really matter that we give them the same name, they are different, and we should treat them so.
Reply 17
No, I quite clearly said in my OP that my problem with gay marriage is that it is a religious ceremony, not that it means that they get the same rights. I am not against gays in general, just the idea that religions have to accept something to which they are ideologically opposed.

Nobody is forcing any religious holy place to host gay marriages anywhere in Britain. Reading back, I'd say your major premise is redundant considering how many different religions have a form of marriage, and the different factions within each religion each with different interpretation of scripture.
Reply 18
I'm not saying that they should not be able to ne together. Lets be honest, why does it really matter that we give them the same name, they are different, and we should treat them so.

It's all the difference in the world and matters significantly, at least to me. It's about dignity. Excluding same-sex couples from marriage and giving them civil partnerships to play with, so it seems, is both demeaning and insulting as well as quite obviously expressing an overt inequality between the two "different" types of relationships. Language is very powerful and can't be trivialised so even a difference in words is too significant an inequality to take but there actually are other legal differences between the two unions.

The only difference is the gender composition of the relationship and that doesn't qualify an exclusion from marriage to me.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Hydeman

+1, I can't stand people who refuse to sign off with their real name.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending