The Student Room Group

Why gay marriage is wrong

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
Everyone should STFU!

Arguing online is stupid.

There is no right way to share your opinion.

If someone disagree with your opinion, then so be it.

Y'all be saying "freedom of speech. Yet, when somebody say something that you disagree with, he or she is a bad person.

Stop hypocrisy and live your life.

Freedom of speech, sure. Nobody's trying to stop you from spouting what most of the people on this thread find to be poorly-argued bile. I'm perfectly within my rights to think of you as a bad person for what you think and say. To do so isn't to stop you thinking or saying anything.

"Arguing online is stupid." - Remind me who started this thread?
Original post by Hydeman
Freedom of speech, sure. Nobody's trying to stop you from spouting what most of the people on this thread find to be poorly-argued bile. I'm perfectly within my rights to think of you as a bad person for what you think and say. To do so isn't to stop you thinking or saying anything."Arguing online is stupid." - Remind me who started this thread?

I'm not the anon who started this thread.

( should have made it clear lol)

I just looked through the thread, and there is so many conflicting views.

people need to remember that not everyone views life through the same lense.

I agree that OP shouldn't have started this thread, and should have been more considerate.

I myself am not a homophobe. I think gay people are one of the kindest people that I have ever met.

I just think that arguing online is no use.

The people who are fighting against OP are giving him what he/she wants, by retaliating and giving them attention.

These threads are used to start a verbal brawl and I don't think anyone should let it ruin their day.
marriage isn't religious. you can have religious marriages, but "marriage" isn't inherently theological/spiritual. archaeology/history suggests that the first "marriage" contracts where based on the ideas of selling your female children as basically sexual property
I'm not the anon who started this thread.

( should have made it clear lol)

I just looked through the thread, and there is so many conflicting views.

people need to remember that not everyone views life through the same lense.

I agree that OP shouldn't have started this thread, and should have been more considerate.

I myself am not a homophobe. I think gay people are one of the kindest people that I have ever met.

I just think that arguing online is no use.

The people who are fighting against OP are giving him what he/she wants, by retaliating and giving them attention.

These threads are used to start a verbal brawl and I don't think anyone should let it ruin their day.

Oh LOL, sorry about that! Didn't notice that little #3 on the side. Of course, I still disagree with you about not discussing things just because there is a lot of conflict of opinion but I take back the last bit in my post. :smile:
Original post by Hydeman
Oh LOL, sorry about that! Didn't notice that little #3 on the side. Of course, I still disagree with you about not discussing things just because there is a lot of conflict of opinion but I take back the last bit in my post. :smile:

hahaha! No worries :tongue:

Fair enough that you have to disagree with me.

I just feel that people can't force others to view life in one way. There's always going to be a huge division in this topic.

OP feels comfortable saying what they have to say, because nobody knows his/her actual user name.

Maybe he's ashamed of thinking a certain way, that they want to keep their identity private.

Personally, I feel that the legalisation of Gay Marriage is great. They deserve to be happy

Good or bad, they're still human beings like the rest of us. What they do does not have a massive impact in my life.

However, it is nice to see them happy in society.

All anyone can do is say how they feel and move on really.
hahaha! No worries :tongue:

Fair enough that you have to disagree with me.

I just feel that people can't force others to view life in one way. There's always going to be a huge division in this topic.

OP feels comfortable saying what they have to say, because nobody knows his/her actual user name.

Maybe he's ashamed of thinking a certain way, that they want to keep their identity private.

Personally, I feel that the legalisation of Gay Marriage is great. They deserve to be happy

Good or bad, they're still human beings like the rest of us. What they do does not have a massive impact in my life.

However, it is nice to see them happy in society.

All anyone can do is say how they feel and move on really.

Or perhaps the OP knew what the backlash would be for sharing a valid opinion, and didn't want to open themselves up for offering a valid opinion. Also, I am not a he.
Or perhaps the OP knew what the backlash would be for sharing a valid opinion, and didn't want to open themselves up for offering a valid opinion. Also, I am not a he.

Sure, let's call your opinion "valid." Whatever makes you happy, Ms. Anonymous #1.
Reply 67
Original post by Error404OLE
It's not wrong

it most definitely IS wrong and ALWAYS shall be.

This sexual perversion is not good
Reply 68
Original post by BurstingBubbles
So in the new testament, Jesus turns water into wine, yet a lot of Christians say drinking alcohol is a sin...

...doesn't quite add up :nah:

he did make it into wine, but with no alchool.

more like grape juice (ribena with cincentrate for example)
Original post by mts396
he did make it into wine, but with no alchool.

more like grape juice (ribena with cincentrate for example)

So how come some Christens drink and they say it's okay and others think it's a sin? Same with sex before marriage. So many different archaic interpretations of something which surely can't be generalised to the 21st century.
Reply 70
Original post by BurstingBubbles
So how come some Christens drink and they say it's okay and others think it's a sin? Same with sex before marriage. So many different archaic interpretations of something which surely can't be generalised to the 21st century.

exactly!!

The christians have been trapped and trikced into these acts whereby they feel it is ok to drink etc but its not. The modern world has changed their thinking and the devil has trapped them like a boa constrictor.

Sent from my Macbook Air with Windows 8 Enterprise
Original post by mts396
exactly!!

The christians have been trapped and trikced into these acts whereby they feel it is ok to drink etc but its not. The modern world has changed their thinking and the devil has trapped them like a boa constrictor.

Sent from my Macbook Air with Windows 8 Enterprise

Excuse me, who told you this? Or are you trolling. What type of Christian are you? Which country are you from? Let me guess, a born again Christian from America?
(edited 8 years ago)
Marriage is a religious ceremony/idea. Therefore, if it is up to that religion to decide whether or not to allow gay marriage. An alternative, such as a civil partnerships, whereby they have exactly the same rights, should be available, but the government should not be allowed to force a religion to accept something it does not feel is right.
If a government were to do this to any other ideas that a religion had, then people would be up in arms about that government being like a dictatorship, so they should not be able to do this.
Rant over...

I completely agree! the goverment are basically redefining marriage and basically saying that their definition is better than God's. I have no problem with gay people but think that there could be another solution to giving gay people equal rights without the traditional marriage.
Original post by schmuur
I completely agree! the goverment are basically redefining marriage and basically saying that their definition is better than God's. I have no problem with gay people but think that there could be another solution to giving gay people equal rights without the traditional marriage.

Thank you, someone who can actually see that I'm not just being homophobic and that I'm just attempting to look after the social freedoms that we all deserve.
Thank you, someone who can actually see that I'm not just being homophobic and that I'm just attempting to look after the social freedoms that we all deserve.

you are a hypocrite if you use the term 'social freedom' but are against equal rights for gays
Marriage is a religious ceremony/idea. Therefore, if it is up to that religion to decide whether or not to allow gay marriage. An alternative, such as a civil partnerships, whereby they have exactly the same rights, should be available, but the government should not be allowed to force a religion to accept something it does not feel is right.
If a government were to do this to any other ideas that a religion had, then people would be up in arms about that government being like a dictatorship, so they should not be able to do this.
Rant over...

Nope, marriage pre-dates religion. :smile:
Reply 76
Original post by schmuur

Why should we be restricted by the definitions of a god we don't believe in? People can already get married without a religious ceremony, why on earth should religions get involved in something that doesn't concern them?
Original post by lucaf
Why should we be restricted by the definitions of a god we don't believe in? People can already get married without a religious ceremony, why on earth should religions get involved in something that doesn't concern them?

Spot on. I can understand that some churches and its members are against same-sex marriages... fine they shouldn't be made to perform such marriages. However the OP and too many others seem to think that religious ideas should dictate what marriage is even if it is out of religious perimeters. The fact is marriage does not belong to any religion and to top it off the modern world is undergoing rapid levels of secularisation anyhow and so in many areas the new majority are no longer religious.... Which is why I find it amusing people that who are of faith feel the need to dictate what marriage is and isn't for everyone.

People who don't agree due to religious reasons should harbour in their place of worship along with others who are of similar opinion and only perform 'traditional' marriages. I can respect that, everyone is entitled to their own opinions. However this notion that they somehow have the right to decide what the secular state defines as marriage is totally unacceptable in my eyes.

I'm delighted for the many hundreds of thousands who can now marry as a result of the Supreme Courts ruling and tbh if you don't agree with it really is about time you just move on and atleast try to acknowledge that many people's lives have improved because of this ruling.
(edited 8 years ago)
Actually, marriage isn't a religious thing, don't even try to day it is. Marriage out dates every religion, it was founded when mankind first realised that if a man sleeps with 5 women, it makes 5 women angry at said man. Gay marriage isn't wrong. Although, it causes alot of issues (because alot of things in insurance and finance use the word marriage specifically between a man and a woman, so by having two men or women, it causes a lot of problems to arrise, but the actual marriage has no issues, gay people can be gay!)
Which religion are we talking here? One person could say marriage is a Christian thing, so only Christians can get married, while others might say marriage is a Jewish thing, so only Jews can marry etc.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending