The Student Room Group

A level subjects! Help?!

what other A level subject shall i take im thinking of biology chemistry and psycology and no idea for my last also stuck in between if i should take 3 in my first year
Any advise on what i should take - i dont want to have a stressful year 😁
Reply 1
I found English lit not too stressful, i actually enjoyed the exam weirdly enough just because I liked the challenge of the questions, I found it more thought provoking - Just finished year 13 I did psychology history english lit(obviously) and at AS I did sociology.
To be honest, it doesn't really matter what your 4th option is, just pick what you enjoy! you might find you like your 4th better than say biology, it can completely change you opinion...

I thought sociology was my favourite subject, to the point at which I wanted to study it at uni, but by the end of my first year I decided I hated it and chose to do psychology and am hoping to do a masters in it, I didnt even know anything about the subject in my first year and expected myself to drop it!!
Original post by humzzay
what other A level subject shall i take im thinking of biology chemistry and psycology and no idea for my last also stuck in between if i should take 3 in my first year

I would advise starting to look at what you want to study at university. A specific degree if possible, but realistically the general kind of area you want to study, and then have a look at what subjects they want for that area.

I spoke to some Year 12s that I work with, and they weren't sure about what they would study at university. They had no idea, so I asked them what A-levels they enjoyed, and some said none of the ones they chose. That's fine, and it's not too late to decide for them, but it helps to have done the subjects you like/need for university,

And just bear in mind that I think you'll be sitting all of your exams at the end of your two years of your study - so take 3 you really like, or take 4 you really like as well but be prepared to put in a bit more work.

Oh, and I'd recommend Maths. Yes, it can be tough but I think it's a good option if you got a solid grade at GCSE. It's not vital for Chemistry but it helps a bit, but not necessary.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by humzzay

Take Maths - only if you are capable of it and you don't hate it at gcse level and you enjoy doing it.
Maths opens up so many career options.
You can also consider taking physics if not maths.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by SeanFM
I would advise starting to look at what you want to study at university. A specific degree if possible, but realistically the general kind of area you want to study, and then have a look at what subjects they want for that area.

I spoke to some Year 12s that I work with, and they weren't sure about what they would study at university. They had no idea, so I asked them what A-levels they enjoyed, and some said none of the ones they chose. That's fine, and it's not too late to decide for them, but it helps to have done the subjects you like/need for university,

And just bear in mind that I think you'll be sitting all of your exams at the end of your two years of your study - so take 3 you really like, or take 4 you really like as well but be prepared to put in a bit more work.

Oh, and I'd recommend Maths. Yes, it can be tough but I think it's a good option if you got a solid grade at GCSE. It's not vital for Chemistry but it helps a bit, but not necessary.

Your definitely right recently i went for my college open day and i before picked biology chemistry maths & psychology i felt as though all subjects iv picked are very hard and i will be unable to cope with all the pressure from these subjects because of the amount of content They have. Also i want to go in the path of medical so they require chem bio maths but for gcse you need atleast a B or A im just waiting for my results to see what i can do, i also need back up plan if i dont get the grades i need to get in the subject. Which is another dilemma because i dont know what to do 😓
Reply 5
Original post by Bloom77
Take Maths - only if you are capable of it and you don't hate it at gcse level and you enjoy doing it.
Maths opens up so many career options.
You can also consider taking physics if not maths.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Your right i want todo maths but im weak at it as well im hoping for a good grade at gcse then id definately do it, but wont it be too much pressure among bio & chem ?
Original post by humzzay
Your definitely right recently i went for my college open day and i before picked biology chemistry maths & psychology i felt as though all subjects iv picked are very hard and i will be unable to cope with all the pressure from these subjects because of the amount of content They have. Also i want to go in the path of medical so they require chem bio maths but for gcse you need atleast a B or A im just waiting for my results to see what i can do, i also need back up plan if i dont get the grades i need to get in the subject. Which is another dilemma because i dont know what to do 😓

I see, it's good that you know what you want to do :smile:

Those are 4 demanding subjects, yes, but you have a lot of time to study them and you'll have some support from your teachers, so don't be too overwhelmed just yet.

You also have a fair amount of time before results day, so there's some time to think up a backup plan, though hopefully you won't need it. The key is to choose subjects you think you'd like or have liked at GCSE, and also subjects that will take you to places you want to go university/career wise.

Quick Reply

Latest