The Student Room Group

Help on deferring another year

Hey there,

Basically, as things stands, I'm all set to go to UCLAN in September. I'm nowhere near prepared for it (not even applied for student finance), so I'm wanting to defer for another year (it was a deferred application from last year). I'm also unsure whether I even want to go to UCLAN atm, and am weighing up going to a different uni entirely for 2017. So, what's the best way to go about what I want to do?

Should I contact UCLAN to defer it, and then if I decide I want to go to a different uni nearer to next September, withdraw at that point? Or should I withdraw now and apply all over again to whichever uni I decide on next September, re-applying to UCLAN all over again if I decide to go there?

Appreciate any help on this. The whole process is a little overwhelming, and I'm stressed as it is.
Reply 1
Hi there,
I too am in a similar position and also confused!, what have u applied to at uclan?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Hashim123
Hey there,

Basically, as things stands, I'm all set to go to UCLAN in September. I'm nowhere near prepared for it (not even applied for student finance), so I'm wanting to defer for another year (it was a deferred application from last year). I'm also unsure whether I even want to go to UCLAN atm, and am weighing up going to a different uni entirely for 2017. So, what's the best way to go about what I want to do?

Should I contact UCLAN to defer it, and then if I decide I want to go to a different uni nearer to next September, withdraw at that point? Or should I withdraw now and apply all over again to whichever uni I decide on next September, re-applying to UCLAN all over again if I decide to go there?

Appreciate any help on this. The whole process is a little overwhelming, and I'm stressed as it is.

UCLAN may not agree for you to defer for another year without a good reason, so I think it makes sense to contact them first and ask whether this would be an option or not. If they say no, at least you know where you stand, and if they say yes, you can take a bit more time to think about your decision.
Reply 3
Original post by SlowlorisIncognito
UCLAN may not agree for you to defer for another year without a good reason, so I think it makes sense to contact them first and ask whether this would be an option or not. If they say no, at least you know where you stand, and if they say yes, you can take a bit more time to think about your decision.

Hey there, thanks for the reply. I'd rather figure out which route works best for me before determining the smaller details like whether UCLAN will actually allow me to defer or not.Out of the two options I presented, which would you say is the better option?

Should I contact UCLAN to defer it, and then if I decide I want to go to a different uni nearer to next September, withdraw at that point? Or should I withdraw now and apply all over again to whichever uni I decide on next September, re-applying to UCLAN again if I decide to go there?

I suppose what I'm asking in a sense is whether withdrawing my application at this stage is a good idea if there's a possibility I'll be going to that uni in Sep 2017?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Hashim123
Hey there, thanks for the reply. I'd rather figure out which route works best for me before determining the smaller details like whether UCLAN will actually allow me to defer or not.Out of the two options I presented, which would you say is the better option?

I suppose what I'm asking in a sense is whether withdrawing my application at this stage is a good idea if there's a possibility I'll be going to that uni in Sep 2017?

I think it's a really personal decision, so I couldn't say which is the better option for you.

How would you feel if you reapplied and didn't get a place at UCLAN? Do you have any other unis in mind which you would apply to? What would you do with the additional year out?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending