The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Britain is not a good country to live

Scroll to see replies

Original post by T.I.P
I agree with the foreigners comment and my family originate from Jamaica. I see places now that look like downtown bagdad all the things that were great about the UK have all gone, back in the day foreigners came and intergrated and everyone generally got on now these new breed of incomers seem to hate England and its people.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's not foreigners per se at all I know lovely
Foreigners but you know if you
Say go to New York or France they push you out the way peopp dont say please of thank you. Things which are typically British such as never wishing to offend getting out the way all the time etx I think are being lost
Reply 41
This is why I live in the Bahamas.
Original post by The two eds
What is your opinion on life in Iraq or Syria?

It's evidently very dangerous to live in Iraq and Syria due to the threats of terrorism. And even if you don't die from it you could be injured or left homeless or be affected indirectly through things like relatives. The government in these countries are corrupt as well which doesn't help. Atleast in the UK there isn't that sort of threat, and we can walk out of our homes with little risk to our lives.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by william walker
It depends where you live in Britain. London is terrible. Where I live is good.

How do you work that one out? I agree that some of the northern areas are pretty nasty, but most of it is fantastic and would easily be my first choice of places to live, though I doubt I'll be able to afford anywhere decent :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by T.I.P
For many reasons.. its too corporate, everything revolves around money and working constantly with little time to enjoy life. Secondly theres little to enjoy here as the weather sucks and the country it tiny. The people are also rude, and boring. Lastly its full of hostility between different races of people, nationalities and religion. Also Britain has pissed off most of the world so the country and its people are always a target.

Discuss

I tend to agree. The soullessness infecting this country has reached such a critical level that I personally can't cope with it anymore. That's why I've moving to Uganda, to rediscover real people and hopefully learn how to live again (if its not too late).

When I'm in Uganda it feels like I've been let out of prison.
Reply 45
Original post by aaronlowe
I tend to agree. The soullessness infecting this country has reached such a critical level that I personally can't cope with it anymore. That's why I've moving to Uganda, to rediscover real people and hopefully learn how to live again (if its not too late).

When I'm in Uganda it feels like I've been let out of prison.

When I came back to Britain after travelling I felt like I had returned to prison, so I get what you mean. Its ok for those who have never left their box, but for those who have actually seen other parts of the world it can be depressing.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Britain is one of the most polite countries around.
Original post by L i b
British people work considerably fewer hours per year than the OECD average. Out of the world's circa 250 countries and territories, we're 80th largest and the British passport is probably the best in the world for providing you with visa-free travel abroad.

If you think there's racial hostility here, I suggest you try travelling. We're a ****ing paradise of racial tranquillity compared to most multicultural countries.

Agreed! Some people are ungrateful moaners.
Original post by Wibble199p
Britain is one of the most polite countries around.

It most definitely isn’t. Try Italy or Germany, much less riffraff and council slum areas. Britain always seems grey, dull and rude, personified by British politicians.
Original post by intelligent con
once labour gets voted back in britain will be humane to live in once more

Complete with one football per village.
We were happy when we rode around on horseback spreading civilisation and order to Johnny Wallah. Not only did Johnny Wallah then kick us out saying we were bad, he had the temerity to follow us back when his homeland went to the dogs without us.
I kind of agree. Many countries have worse issues, but that doesn't mean Britain is great either. We still have lords who own way too much land and earn money for nothing, aristocratic families and massive gated houses. There is a fundamental lack of respect for other people in this country. Sure the NHS is good, but private healthcare is abundant and dentistry is not free - the NHS is actually under-funded and is not the best health system in the world. On the roads, no-one drives safely or within the speed limit. On dual carriageways which I have to drive on daily to get to uni, work or to the shops, I normally travel from 65-75 miles per hour depending on conditions and I feel like I'm doing 30. Tailgating is ubiquitous, police have tailgated me a number of times. Jobs are hard to come by, people under 21 years old have below minimum wage for entry level jobs and the waiting time for therapy is abysmal. Uni is seen as a rite of passage for people, I'm worried we'll turn into South Korea pretty soon. Everyone is obsessed with becoming famous and making money but no-one wants to be an engineer or a doctor and help people - everyone wants it all for themselves. Kids are made to make career decisions at 14, mental health issues affect way too many people and they're a symptom of the world we live in. And then we've got this Brexit mess, inept politicians, a constant terrorist threat, hatred for certain groups among different groups, it's insane. There's no love in society, no sense of a greater good. Students are put under a lot of pressure and our society is very family-centric in terms of dependency of the young, which can be disastrous when we get controlling parents or poor families not being able to afford a better life for their kids.

I could go on, but you hopefully get the point. We're not the worst country in the world, but we can always improve. I consider myself lucky to be British and in the 21st century all things considered, but our society could be much better. At least I think so.
Original post by Zaporizhia
It most definitely isn’t. Try Italy or Germany, much less riffraff and council slum areas. Britain always seems grey, dull and rude, personified by British politicians.

Every country has poor areas. If you see a lot of "riffraff" perhaps question why you are living in such an area.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Oopsyswoop
I kind of agree. Many countries have worse issues, but that doesn't mean Britain is great either. We still have lords who own way too much land and earn money for nothing, aristocratic families and massive gated houses. There is a fundamental lack of respect for other people in this country. Sure the NHS is good, but private healthcare is abundant and dentistry is not free - the NHS is actually under-funded and is not the best health system in the world. On the roads, no-one drives safely or within the speed limit. On dual carriageways which I have to drive on daily to get to uni, work or to the shops, I normally travel from 65-75 miles per hour depending on conditions and I feel like I'm doing 30. Tailgating is ubiquitous, police have tailgated me a number of times. Jobs are hard to come by, people under 21 years old have below minimum wage for entry level jobs and the waiting time for therapy is abysmal. Uni is seen as a rite of passage for people, I'm worried we'll turn into South Korea pretty soon. Everyone is obsessed with becoming famous and making money but no-one wants to be an engineer or a doctor and help people - everyone wants it all for themselves. Kids are made to make career decisions at 14, mental health issues affect way too many people and they're a symptom of the world we live in. And then we've got this Brexit mess, inept politicians, a constant terrorist threat, hatred for certain groups among different groups, it's insane. There's no love in society, no sense of a greater good. Students are put under a lot of pressure and our society is very family-centric in terms of dependency of the young, which can be disastrous when we get controlling parents or poor families not being able to afford a better life for their kids.

I could go on, but you hopefully get the point. We're not the worst country in the world, but we can always improve. I consider myself lucky to be British and in the 21st century all things considered, but our society could be much better. At least I think so.

There should be massive gated houses. What do you want to do, knock them down?
In comparison to the rest of the world it’s a heck of a lot better.
Every country has poor areas. If you see a lot of "riffraff" perhaps question why you are living in such an area.

I don't live in such an area. Maybe if you get out of your gated community and walk about a little, you'll see what I'm talking about.
Original post by Zaporizhia
I don't live in such an area. Maybe if you get out of your gated community and walk about a little, you'll see what I'm talking about.

Haha, I don't live in a gated community.

If you smell one **** person in a day you met a person who sells of ****. If you meet **** people all day you need need to check your shoes.
Haha, I don't live in a gated community.

If you smell one **** person in a day you met a person who sells of ****. If you meet **** people all day you need need to check your shoes.

Hardly said I do, it’s just a general observation. My daily commute is going from where I live, quite a good area, through a council estate and other grim areas, to get to my work, which is also in a very good area. It’s virtually impossible to avoid, unless I make a massive detour, or drive, but there’s always so much traffic.
Original post by TheWaffle
Bye then. Have a nice journey.

Well obviously your sarcasm or passive aggressiveness supports that the OP is correct.

The problem with the replies to this topic is that, if most from the UK disagree, it gives the impression that the OP was overstating matters.
When, in fact, it is often the people who disagree who are part of the problem. They're hardly going to accept that what they've normalised is actually lazy, rude, and selfish, are they?

The UK is very, very, divided in to different kinds of people.

It's incredibly baffling that a country can be so snobbish about hardworking working class people who've worked all of their lives yet have such a generous welfare system for the 'lowest', that a country can be so mute, uptight, careful of what it says even if passionate argument would be the fairest thing to do to remedy a situation, yet consider that a form of politeness,

It's amazingly depressing to me that some people in the UK are such positive, intelligent, even good looking people whilst it has become entirely the norm for others to be so bland, riddled with alcohol, drug , tobacco and welfare dependencies or like someone from the deepest ditches of hell.

Part of the answer might be that our family trees can be very different- not just in class but in country of origin.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 59
Original post by alanahigginss
The UK is #1 in the safest places to live an best education. We have free healthcare, gun laws and there are no dangerous religions. In America they have to pay for healthcare, there's no gun laws and many dangerous religions.

Well this is manifestly rubbish.
Britain is not the safest country in the world, it does not have the best education, most countries have gun laws, we have all religions.
Also America does have gun laws.

Latest

Trending

Trending