The Student Room Group

Placment year or just Full time uni?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi there,

I really want to apply Mechanical Engineering MEng Hons at Lancaster University, however I looked on your websites and the course is full-time without no Placement In industry (Sandwich) and this makes me not to apply for this uni just because, i don't think i will get the any job regarding i have not a year in a industry for experience. Placement is important in my industry as it will give me the edge of employment.
Can you please explain the fact why is that this uni only do Full-time.

Thanks in Advance!
Even if a programme does not explicitly offer the opportunity to go on a placement year, you can still find a placement on your own and take a year off University to undertake that placement.
Reply 2
Would it not be difficult then to get the placement because as the uni (Russel group) wouldnt have any linked to it. Where is the other ones you could get it stright way.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by History98
Even if a programme does not explicitly offer the opportunity to go on a placement year, you can still find a placement on your own and take a year off University to undertake that placement.

see my reply

Posted from TSR Mobile
Lancaster is not a Russel group university btw.
However it is still a brilliant university.
Reply 5
Original post by Kash24411
Lancaster is not a Russel group university btw.
However it is still a brilliant university.

My bad I know. It is a brilliant University but without placment unfortunately:erm:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by dream_big

Russel group has got nothing to do with placements. All Russel group means is that their research led universities.

You can do a placement year at any university even if they don't show it on the course listing as "Mechanical Engineering with placement year". As History rightly explained you can just take a year out after your second year (usually or after third if you wish and are on the MEng course) to do a placement year.

Getting placements is a competitive process and it doesn't matter where you go you will still have to apply like everyone else and compete against the people applying for the same role.
My bad I know. It is a brilliant University but without placment unfortunately:erm:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah placement years are pretty important, im not sure how important it is for mechanical engineering specifically as most engineering courses will put you in a good position once graduating.

Personally i didn't apply to certain universities and turned down some in the end because they didn't offer a placement year but im planning to go into the business/financial industry where work experience is vital.

http://unistats.direct.gov.uk/Subjects/Overview/10007768FT-001040

This your course?

Pretty good statistics, 95% go into work or study 6 months after the course.
100% seem to be in professional or managerial jobs 6 months after which is very good.
I wouldn't worry too much about the university not having a placement included and definitely consider applying.
Reply 8
Original post by a10
Russel group has got nothing to do with placements. All Russel group means is that their research led universities.

You can do a placement year at any university even if they don't show it on the course listing as "Mechanical Engineering with placement year". As History rightly explained you can just take a year out after your second year (usually or after third if you wish and are on the MEng course) to do a placement year.

Getting placements is a competitive process and it doesn't matter where you go you will still have to apply like everyone else and compete against the people applying for the same role.

Thank you for your response.
When I ever check on the university courses they have with placement in the industry or within the universities and have good link with the industry. And I agree with your answer but do you think Russel groups uni such as UCL , Liverpool , Nottingham et will help me out getting the placment I needed. And out of curiosity why do they dont do or mention Any sandwich year or placment.
I just dont understand and they are meant to be the good unis.
with kindregards.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Thank you for your response.
When I ever check on the university courses they have with placement in the industry or within the universities and have good link with the industry. And I agree with your answer but do you think Russel groups uni such as UCL , Liverpool , Nottingham et will help me out getting the placment I needed. And out of curiosity why do they dont do or mention Any sandwich year or placment.
I just dont understand and they are meant to be the good unis.
with kindregards.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Whether a university chooses to list the placement option in their course lists is up to them really. It isn't a big deal though so I wouldn't worry because you can do one anyway if you choose to.

Many universities have careers services which will help you out when it comes to applying for placements...e.g. they can help you improve your CV with CV workshops etc. BUT the most important thing you have to remember is that it is by no means guaranteed. For example my university has links with GE Aviation (just to name one) but it doesn't mean if I chose to do a placement year and applied to GE Aviation I would automatically get the placement. It is a very competitive process and if you're a weak candidate overall you will have no chance regardless of what university you're at.

So to summarise pick your favourite universities, then once you're at university work on making yourself a more attractive candidate should you choose to apply for a placement year! I hope this clears most of the questions you had :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by Kash24411
Yeah placement years are pretty important, im not sure how important it is for mechanical engineering specifically as most engineering courses will put you in a good position once graduating.

Personally i didn't apply to certain universities and turned down some in the end because they didn't offer a placement year but im planning to go into the business/financial industry where work experience is vital.

http://unistats.direct.gov.uk/Subjects/Overview/10007768FT-001040

This your course?

Pretty good statistics, 95% go into work or study 6 months after the course.
100% seem to be in professional or managerial jobs 6 months after which is very good.
I wouldn't worry too much about the university not having a placement included and definitely consider applying.

yeah I see its very good uni in terms of employment after graduating, but however with not experience I am quite worried about as it will not be easy when u go to work. Or Would you be able to get that placment somewhere else in other unis.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Original post by a10
Whether a university chooses to list the placement option in their course lists is up to them really. It isn't a big deal though so I wouldn't worry because you can do one anyway if you choose to.

Many universities have careers services which will help you out when it comes to applying for placements...e.g. they can help you improve your CV with CV workshops etc. BUT the most important thing you have to remember is that it is by no means guaranteed. For example my university has links with GE Aviation (just to name one) but it doesn't mean if I chose to do a placement year and applied to GE Aviation I would automatically get the placement. It is a very competitive process and if you're a weak candidate overall you will have no chance regardless of what university you're at.

So to summarise pick your favourite universities, then once you're at university work on making yourself a more attractive candidate should you choose to apply for a placement year! I hope this clears most of the questions you had :smile:

Thanks you answers are well hitting me. Have you been graduated? Where you work now? Did you Do placment? What uni did go and studu what?
Sorry for the questions and how can you make your self the most powerfull in that job and beat everybody in getting the job/placment.
And what is the benfits of studying abroad or Placment abroad?
As I am interested going to Spain somewhere in Europe.

Posted from TSR Mobile
As others have said, just because a course doesn't say there is the option to do a placement year doesn't necessarily mean you can't do one - just that if you do take a year out of your degree to do a placement year it does not count towards your degree. I'm taking a year out next year for a year abroad which I applied for outside of the uni, so am technically taking a gap year in the middle of my degree to do this. Bear in mind that some unis may be more willing than others to allow you to take a year out though - mine took quite some persuading...

Even if your uni does give the option for a placement year as part of the degree, doesn't mean you're guaranteed to get one. Students usually have to apply to companies and organise them themselves - universities don't organise them for you! Some universities may have links with particular companies, but this probably means there are only one or two placements available at the company rather than being a guarantee of you getting a placement there. Since placements are very competitive to get, you'll need to do well in your first year exams and get involved in extracurricular responsibilities.

Also, most students try and get internships each summer rather than doing a placement year - these are 2-3 month placements, so you don't have to commit yourself to quite so long at a particular company, and can try out several over the course of your degree (2/3 summers). Placement years aren't all that common, most employers would be happy with students with good summer internships instead :smile:
Reply 13
Thanks you answers are well hitting me. Have you been graduated? Where you work now? Did you Do placment? What uni did go and studu what?
Sorry for the questions and how can you make your self the most powerfull in that job and beat everybody in getting the job/placment.
And what is the benfits of studying abroad or Placment abroad?
As I am interested going to Spain somewhere in Europe.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm still studying Mech Eng. No I didn't do a placement year (and don't plan on doing one either instead I am opting for summer placements but that's another story I won't go into).

Basically get good grades, get involved in extra curricular's, keep up with current engineering events, basically do something useful in your free time that is going to make you look even better on paper (enough to get you to the interview stages).

As for study/placements abroad it's good if you can get one as employers like people with international experience/exposure.
Reply 14
Original post by dragonkeeper999
As others have said, just because a course doesn't say there is the option to do a placement year doesn't necessarily mean you can't do one - just that if you do take a year out of your degree to do a placement year it does not count towards your degree. I'm taking a year out next year for a year abroad which I applied for outside of the uni, so am technically taking a gap year in the middle of my degree to do this. Bear in mind that some unis may be more willing than others to allow you to take a year out though - mine took quite some persuading...

Even if your uni does give the option for a placement year as part of the degree, doesn't mean you're guaranteed to get one. Students usually have to apply to companies and organise them themselves - universities don't organise them for you! Some universities may have links with particular companies, but this probably means there are only one or two placements available at the company rather than being a guarantee of you getting a placement there. Since placements are very competitive to get, you'll need to do well in your first year exams and get involved in extracurricular responsibilities.

Also, most students try and get internships each summer rather than doing a placement year - these are 2-3 month placements, so you don't have to commit yourself to quite so long at a particular company, and can try out several over the course of your degree (2/3 summers). Placement years aren't all that common, most employers would be happy with students with good summer internships instead :smile:

Thanks you soo much for your detailed information about this as I was very worried ans anxious.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi there,

I really want to apply Mechanical Engineering MEng Hons at Lancaster University, however I looked on your websites and the course is full-time without no Placement In industry (Sandwich) and this makes me not to apply for this uni just because, i don't think i will get the any job regarding i have not a year in a industry for experience. Placement is important in my industry as it will give me the edge of employment.
Can you please explain the fact why is that this uni only do Full-time.

Thanks in Advance!

Hi there,

That's a shame that they don't run placements. But I totally get what you mean you will be a lot more employable with a degree and industry experience. If you really would like to do that course its worth considering doing a placement in the summer, or in holidays that you have at uni. The summer is 3+ months and some holidays are 1 month so you could get some work experience at a few firms in your time at uni without taking a placement year out.

Hope that helps, let me know if you have any more questions

Chandni
Reply 16
Original post by hallamstudents
Hi there,

That's a shame that they don't run placements. But I totally get what you mean you will be a lot more employable with a degree and industry experience. If you really would like to do that course its worth considering doing a placement in the summer, or in holidays that you have at uni. The summer is 3+ months and some holidays are 1 month so you could get some work experience at a few firms in your time at uni without taking a placement year out.

Hope that helps, let me know if you have any more questions

Chandni

This is a 2015 thread - and is now closed :smile:

Latest