The Student Room Group

What's wrong with pedophilia?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by harry734
Maybe because with homosexuality there are no victims?

Child molestation is kinda different to pedophilia. A person can be sexually attracted to young children but not act upon it you know. I still fail to understand why people want to deny that pedophilia is something people probably cannot control. Who actually wants to be sexually attracted to children?
Reply 41
No it's disgusting and unnatural. Homosexuals don't harm people. Pedophiles can harm children. That's the difference.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by heybaby
For the sake of clarity. This discussion is helping clear up what exactly makes pedophilia wrong and if it is wrong then what basis we have to discriminate or feel contempt/disgust. The question being asked here is whether we can judge before a pedophile actually abuses a child. Is it okay if he just watches videos of some other dude doing it? This isn't for the sake of arguing; This is helping us rid of unnecessary prejudice against a group that may or may not be a threat.

Why rid "unnecessary prejudice" against something that "may" be a threat?? And why argue something that "may not" be a threat? :colonhash:
Original post by Man.bear.pig
??? ever heard of rape. And many pedophiles are homosexual.
Lol what an idiot, rape occurs in heterosexual relationships you know? hahaha can't believe you just said that.
Reply 44
Why rid "unnecessary prejudice" against something that "may" be a threat?? And why argue something that "may not" be a threat? :colonhash:

"May or may not," because I'm not a bigot and understand that the guys who have these urges may not act on them. As long as they are not acting on them, I don't have a problem with something that, ultimately, isn't a choice.
Reply 45
Original post by Novascope
If humans cannot control their sexuality/sexual attractions then why isn't pedophilia and homosexuality comparable?

People cannot control their orientation, but can control their sexual actions. Homosexuality is purely consensual, when paedophilia is not (always referring to the "actions") - they are thus not comparable.
Original post by arfah
No it's disgusting and unnatural. Homosexuals don't harm people. Pedophiles can harm children. That's the difference.

Posted from TSR Mobile

homosexuals do harm people the same way a heterosexual could. why are we discounting rape? rape and homosexuality aren't tantamount but let's not excuse the possibility of sexual corruption in an individual homosexual, which it seems people are doing.

However, whether a pedophile is being violent or not it is still wrong.
Child molestation is kinda different to pedophilia. A person can be sexually attracted to young children but not act upon it you know. I still fail to understand why people want to deny that pedophilia is something people probably cannot control. Who actually wants to be sexually attracted to children?
I never said pedophiles chose to be that way, but i refuse to accept that one day we will accept it as a normal part of life in this country and we will let adults and children have relationships, we can't do this because it would harm the children. I would also argue that the difference between being attracted to adult men and adult women is much bigger than the difference between being attracted to adults and being attracted to children, children are NOT sexual beings whereas adults are.
Lol what an idiot, rape occurs in heterosexual relationships you know? hahaha can't believe you just said that.

i said it in another response; allow discussion to progress. I never said it exclusively happens in homosexuality, goodbye.
Original post by *Stefan*
People cannot control their orientation, but can control their sexual actions. Homosexuality is purely consensual, when paedophilia is not (always referring to the "actions":wink: - they are thus not comparable.

Did I not just say that some pedophiles may not actually do anything to children, but still be sexually attracted to them? It is comparable in terms of sexual attraction.
Reply 50
There is something wrong.

There is something wrong with molesting children. Being attracted to children is unfortunate, but it doesn't make them a bad person unless they act on it. As long as we act like pedophiles are some kind of evil boogeyman we actually make them more dangerous, being more understanding and offering support is better for everybody.
Reply 51
Did I not just say that some pedophiles may not actually do anything to children, but still be sexually attracted to them? It is comparable in terms of sexual attraction.

That's the point I was making. In that regard, it's the same with heterosexuality.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 52
Original post by *Stefan*
People cannot control their orientation, but can control their sexual actions. Homosexuality is purely consensual, when paedophilia is not (always referring to the "actions") - they are thus not comparable.

Actually they are perfectly comparable, as neither have a choice in who they are attracted to. The only difference is that pedophiles cannot act on their attraction without harming somebody, but that does not mean the underlying attraction is not comparable.

That doesn't make any sense. Who do you know is going to be sexually attracted to a type of person and not eventually act on it? Sexual acts begin with attraction. It is immoral and depraved to be attracted to children, as it's pretty much consensus that children are not sexual...or sexy. Mainly because they do not have the sexual functionality nor do they understand it.
Reply 54
Original post by lucaf
Actually they are perfectly comparable, as neither have a choice in who they are attracted to. The only difference is that pedophiles cannot act on their attraction without harming somebody, but that does not mean the underlying attraction is not comparable.

Again, that was the point I was making, which applies to heterosexuality as well.
Original post by lucaf
There is something wrong with molesting children. Being attracted to children is unfortunate, but it doesn't make them a bad person unless they act on it. As long as we act like pedophiles are some kind of evil boogeyman we actually make them more dangerous, being more understanding and offering support is better for everybody.

Good. Why not make them more dangerous? Lol why go easy on them just to pretend they're not threatening. You're inevitably enabling them. Pedophiles are "evil boogeyman" :colonhash:

Understanding? Supportive of pedophilia?
That doesn't make any sense. Who do you know is going to be sexually attracted to a type of person and not eventually act on it? Sexual acts begin with attraction. It is immoral and depraved to be attracted to children, as it's pretty much consensus that children are not sexual...or sexy. Mainly because they do not have the sexual functionality nor do they understand it.

Erm because as humans many of us are attracted to each other and don't actually do anything about it. Why should pedophiles be treated differently and automatically assumed that they will act upon their feelings? I am not trying to tell everyone to accept pedophilia, merely understand that it's most likely NOT a choice.
I never said pedophiles chose to be that way, but i refuse to accept that one day we will accept it as a normal part of life in this country and we will let adults and children have relationships, we can't do this because it would harm the children. I would also argue that the difference between being attracted to adult men and adult women is much bigger than the difference between being attracted to adults and being attracted to children, children are NOT sexual beings whereas adults are.

But not acknowledging that it's most likely not a choice suggested to me that you think they choose to be that way.

I understand your point there, I doubt society will make it acceptable for adults to have relationships with children, but I think there is a slight possibility that in the future society will maybe remove the stigma attached to pedophiles. I mean, if an adult is sexually attracted to children and doesn't actually do anything about it, like have sex with them etc, then why should they be treated like an evil person?
Good. Why not make them more dangerous? Lol why go easy on them just to pretend they're not threatening. You're inevitably enabling them. Pedophiles are "evil boogeyman"

Understanding? Supportive of pedophilia?

A quick look on the internet shows that offending rates amongst pedophiles who have sought support are much lower than those who have not.
Paedophiles don't choose to be who they are. However, prepubescent children may lack the capacity to give consent. I'm torn on the issue; the attraction isn't the issue, but intercourse with young children is.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending