The Student Room Group

Volunteering at a museum

I have just done a weeks work experience at a local museum and they have asked me to becone a regular volunteer. As I am still at school the only time I will be able to do this is in the school holidays. Im quite keen on giving it a go, do you think it will look good on my CV as I would like a job in history? (Possibly archive work or geneaology). Also has anyone else had experience volunteering at a museum that they could share? Thanks.
Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
Original post by yellowgiraffe28
I have just done a weeks work experience at a local museum and they have asked me to becone a regular volunteer. As I am still at school the only time I will be able to do this is in the school holidays. Im quite keen on giving it a go, do you think it will look good on my CV as I would like a job in history? (Possibly archive work or geneaology). Also has anyone else had experience volunteering at a museum that they could share? Thanks.

I don't have any experience yet, but I am actually going to be starting volunteering at my local museum this Saturday :smile:

I suppose I'm in the same position as you, really, in terms of wondering whether it will look good on my CV. That's pretty much the reason why I'm trying to do as much voluntary work as I can, over the summer (just bolstering up my CV, because there's literally hardly anything on it right now).
It will look great and you're lucky to be offered such an opportunity. Take it!
Original post by TorpidPhil
It will look great and you're lucky to be offered such an opportunity. Take it!

/Thread
Posted from TSR Mobile

I think you should definitely go for it and one of the reasons is the presence of volunteering in CV. Firstly, it is better to have it, rather than having a blank place. Secondly, you are still at school, how many students of your age already have a work experience? (I bet not many:smile:) Lastly, volunteering will give you certain skills that employers are frequently looking for! So, yes, no doubt!
Thanks for your advice, I think I will go for it. Just need to get those application forms filled in now!
Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks for your advice, I think I will go for it. Just need to get those application forms filled in now!
Posted from TSR Mobile

Good luck! If you struggle, do come back and ask for help.

/Chris
Posted from TSR Mobile

It's definitely worth doing. Work experience is really important for getting a head-start on the competition and learning key skills at a young age. It will also show potential future employers that you are proactive and have skills that employers want, especially if this experience is going to be based in the same field (historical archive work, research, curation etc). Such experience will probably set you apart from most other people and will make it easier to find future work (employers generally want people to have some kind of prior experience). If you're keen to do it too, even better! Check out this site for more information about work experience and its benefits. Good luck :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending