The Student Room Group

The most well written books you've read?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by miser
Although it doesn't approach my favourites, the most well-written book I've read is probably The Picture of Dorian Gray. The conversations in that book are tremendously provoking, and you can almost pick any sentence that comes out of Lord Henry's mouth and think about it for a week.

This has to be the most controversial thing I've ever seen you write. :tongue:

Controversial or unspoken fact? *GASPS*

Probably any novel by Haruki Murakami. Yes, the English versions are translations but it's still amazing to read. My personal favourite would be Kafka on the Shore. The plots of his novels are also amazing.

But through a more objective perspective, Lolita by Nabokov is just genius.
Reply 62
Original post by Captain Jack
Controversial or unspoken fact? *GASPS*

Never to shy away from needless risk to personal reputation, I think it should be straightforward to claim that modern literature has improved and refined over time. Classics should be appreciated through the lens of the cultural context in which they were written. If you compare the Epic of Gilgamesh to Lord of the Rings, it's like comparing Pong to GTA. They're both classics and fully capable of standing the test of time, but one benefits from a wealth of knowledge that the former didn't have access to, and consequently is able to be a more fun and engaging experience.
Reply 63
AQA Physics
Original post by drriversong
Even though English was like his fifth language, Nabokov's Lolita is the most well written book that I have ever read

Third language technically, I believe - though as someone else has pointed out, he did grow up speaking English. Still, I agree - the language in Lolita might just be the most beautiful prose I've ever read.

Other contenders might be The Heart is a Lonely Hunter (Carson McCullers), Decline and Fall or Brideshead Revisited (Waugh), Under the Greenwood Tree (Thomas Hardy), Persuasion (Austen) or The God of Small Things (Arundhati Roy).
Original post by miser
Never to shy away from needless risk to personal reputation, I think it should be straightforward to claim that modern literature has improved and refined over time. Classics should be appreciated through the lens of the cultural context in which they were written. If you compare the Epic of Gilgamesh to Lord of the Rings, it's like comparing Pong to GTA. They're both classics and fully capable of standing the test of time, but one benefits from a wealth of knowledge that the former didn't have access to, and consequently is able to be a more fun and engaging experience.

You are so much more eloquent than me! :biggrin:
Original post by adriansjahid
Probably any novel by Haruki Murakami. Yes, the English versions are translations but it's still amazing to read. My personal favourite would be Kafka on the Shore. The plots of his novels are also amazing.

But through a more objective perspective, Lolita by Nabokov is just genius.

Did you read the colourless tsukuru tazaki and his years of pilgrimage?I have finished reading it recently. If you have read it I'm interested to know what you think about it, especially the end.
Reply 67
Anyone said Tolkein yet? The Lord of the Rings series were amazingly written.
Original post by Andy98

Never read those books, although I did like Orders from Berlin, by his grandson, Simon Tolkien. :colone:
Reply 69
Original post by Hydeman
Never read those books, although I did like Orders from Berlin, by his grandson, Simon Tolkien. :colone:

Haven't come across that one before - I presume it's something to do with WW2?
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

The description & characters were soooo realistic. I loved it!
Original post by Andy98
Haven't come across that one before - I presume it's something to do with WW2?

Yep -- it's a crime novel of sorts and involves a plot to assassinate Churchill. I won't give anything else away or I'll ruin the suspense. :tongue:
Reply 72
Original post by Hydeman
Yep -- it's a crime novel of sorts and involves a plot to assassinate Churchill. I won't give anything else away or I'll ruin the suspense. :tongue:

Oooohhh :colone:
A Tale of Two Cities
Great Expectations
Anna Karenina
Heart of Darkness
Crime and Punishment
War and Peace
The Trial
Ulysses
Original post by Anonymous1502
Did you read the colourless tsukuru tazaki and his years of pilgrimage?I have finished reading it recently. If you have read it I'm interested to know what you think about it, especially the end.

Yes! It's my 2nd favourite from Murakami.. I love it mostly because I feel it's more relatable than his other novels, especially with the (relative) lack of fantasy in it.

It's been a while since I last read it, but if I'm not mistaken it ends with Tsukuru waiting to have a talk with Sara right? I like how it ends there without closure of sorts, it leaves it open to our own opinions, I personally think Sara would've broke up with him.
Catch-22.
'Maurice' by E.M. Forster :love:
Original post by Andy98

I re-read it recently and whilst I loved it when I was a teenager, I have to say, I found it quite patchy. Substantial parts of it are very good, but it isn't great literature, it's as if a few different kinds of books were stitched together and then overwritten later. For example, the early chapters feel much more childlike but bits have been inserted into them to make them more 'adult' and menacing. I find they often reach safety too easily, or win things without too much trouble, although not all the time - Gandalf plunging to his supposed death fighting the Balrog is a great bit of tension. However, we never get an explanation as to how he came back. I know people feel that these mystical touches help the story have 'depth' and 'hidden vistas', but they also feel frustrating when you are reading it. Also the characters lack depth in many cases. Gandalf converts Theoden with minimal effort and then we feel constantly on the edge of almost knowing this potentially interesting king, but we never quite get there. At the end of the book, this time, I felt that I didn't really know who Legolas and Gimli, for example, actually were as characters, despite their presence throughout.

This difficulty of 'thinness' obviously affected Peter Jackson, which is why he struggles and tries to give more backstory to key players like Aragorn and Boromir and even Gandalf.
Jane Austen - Pride and Prejudice, Emma, Persuasion. (Can't decide which of them is best.)
Original post by Captain Jack

Some of the worst writing are the classics like Les Miserables, Shakespear, Moby Dick and the Odyssey. You have to remember that they are quite primitive texts and set your mind back to when they were written to enjoy them...

:five:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending