The Student Room Group

Are these universties good for Law?

I am thinking of studying Law at Oxford Brookes or Sussex, are either of these universities good for law, and do they have high rates of their graduates getting training placements and employment in the law field?
Original post by Phan66
I am thinking of studying Law at Oxford Brookes or Sussex, are either of these universities good for law, and do they have high rates of their graduates getting training placements and employment in the law field?

Both universities aren't that great for law. If you feel that your grades are not good enough to apply to better universities, then I would suggest raising your A-level grades.
Reply 2
Original post by zero_gravity
Both universities aren't that great for law. If you feel that your grades are not good enough to apply to better universities, then I would suggest raising your A-level grades.

But Sussex is ranked 21, it's higher than Nottingham and KCL... Are you saying those aren't good as well?
Original post by Phan66
But Sussex is ranked 21, it's higher than Nottingham and KCL... Are you saying those aren't good as well?

Sussex is better than Oxford Brookes, but you'd be better off going to a better uni. I am not sure if you're trolling about the rankings, but the rankings mean nothing. KCL and Notts are in a diffferent world than Sussex, especially for Law. As you see, Sussex was 38th the previous year—the rankings are a bit daft.
Original post by Phan66

What source are you using for this ranking?
Original post by Phan66

Use CUG, it's a bit more reliable than the Guardian which is what I'm assuming you're using (CUG still isn't great as a ranking system, but it's better) Sussex is 38th compared to 6th and 8th for Notts and KCL.

http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings?s=Law
Original post by Caitlan
What source are you using for this ranking?

They were using the overall rankings from the Complete Uni Guide.

Original post by Helloworld_95
Use CUG, it's a bit more reliable than the Guardian which is what I'm assuming you're using (CUG still isn't great as a ranking system, but it's better) Sussex is 38th compared to 6th and 8th for Notts and KCL.

http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings?s=Law

They were using CUG, just not the subject ranking.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Phan66

You have to understand that you cannot rely on rankings to make your decision. Nottingham and KCL are undoubtedly better than Sussex; you cannot compare apples to oranges.
Reply 8
You have to understand that you cannot rely on rankings to make your decision. Nottingham and KCL are undoubtedly better than Sussex; you cannot compare apples to oranges.

So if rankings don't tell you how good a university is, what does? Other than opinion...
Original post by Phan66
So if rankings don't tell you how good a university is, what does? Other than opinion...

Look at the firms (and how many) that target the uni, entry requirements - can be misleading though, check out who sponsors the law societies etc.

These are just one aspect however, research strength and the competitiveness (average UCAS points achieved) are also good indicators.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Phan66

My go-to is 'entry standards', in the form of the offer cited on the uni's website and average UCAS points students have upon matriculation. If you have got a uni which is ABB, it generally isn't as good as uni which is AAA and certainly not as good as a uni which is A*AA like KCL and Nottingham. Also, as most of the unis are AAB-AAA for Law, I think it's good to look at the IB requirements as a further guide as the calibre of students who are coming from non-A–Level courses. In addition, a lot of unis are AAA but only the top students will get offers or take up their places at some of them, so average UCAS points is the ultimate distinguisher between those unis. For example, Oxford's offers are AAA but obviously the calibre of students who go to Oxford is different to that of Newcastle which is also AAA, and you can determine that difference by seeing that Newcastle's average number of UCAS points for Law is 459 and Oxford's is 561.

This guide will be posted in every single thread like this, but it is hugely relevant so have a look at it. It gives a decent level of hard info regarding solicitors' universities, though it's not comprehensive—it has not surveyed absolutely every solicitor in the country. The list of unis it considers good is on page 11.
http://www.chambersstudent.co.uk/media/1067/what_is_a_good_university.pdf
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Phan66

You can look at the trainee intake at major law firms and see which universities they tend to be from. Good indicators also include the sponsorships that law societies receive at each university, as well as the events that law firms offer for each university.
Reply 12
You can look at the trainee intake at major law firms and see which universities they tend to be from. Good indicators also include the sponsorships that law societies receive at each university, as well as the events that law firms offer for each university.

Where can I see the trainee intake statistics at law firms?
Original post by Phan66
Where can I see the trainee intake statistics at law firms?

Go on to their website and look for 'team'/'who we are'.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
Original post by Phan66

That ranking honestly doesn't mean anything. I think Nottingham and KCL would be regarded a lot higher than Sussex despite the rankings. Rankings don't really mean that much I'm afraid.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending