The Student Room Group

Is there any point to vegetarianism?

I mean I understand the point of veganism, but what is the point of being a vegetarian?
Being vegan means cutting out all animals products in your life, including honey, beeswax, leather and obviously dairy, eggs and fish so is pretty extreme. Vegetarianism is a less extreme and usually people who are vegetarian don't want to give up these items cause a. they really like them b. they find a vegan diet too limiting. My mum is vegetarian and is toying with veganism as she only really likes mayo, but I showed her a recipe for vegan mayo so she's considering taking it further. I can happily eat vegetarian and do most of the time at uni, having meat meals occasionally, but I could never go vegan as I love dairy waaaay too much. I also couldn't eat certain veggie substitutes like Quorn which I love which make not eating meat so easy. I'm also weird about certain vegetables and I don't think my list of liked fruit and veg is big enough for me to have an exciting vegan diet so I'm happy with a mostly veggie diet.

TLDR: Personal choice and preferences and whether you think a vegan diet is 'boring' or not varied enough for you basically.

Quick Reply

Latest