The Student Room Group
At the Student's Union
University of Wolverhampton
Wolverhampton
Visit website

Laptop for Illustration/Art subjects-what should I get?

As I'm buying a new laptop anyways, and I'm planning to go to Uni in September, I was wondering if anyone could suggest a laptop suitable for the Illustration course.
I know that it could probably do with having a fairly large memory and a good graphics card (seen ones up to 5500) but I'm feeling a bit lost on what to buy xD

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks 😊
Reply 1
What's your budget?
At the Student's Union
University of Wolverhampton
Wolverhampton
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by Kaiju
What's your budget?

My budget is currently around £500 >.<
Reply 3
If you can get a laptop with these specs:
Intel i5 CPU
8gb RAM
250gb+ Hard Drive Memory (can be compensated for with external storage)
And a dedicated graphics card that isn't complete butt (not integrated on-board, dedicated are pretty much always better unless it's reaaaaaally old)

You should be able to run the large majority of industry-standard media programs with very little difficulty.

I was previously on a Uni course for Games Design and was using Photoshop alongside 3D modelling software with these specs, my graphics card being a 660 GTX.

I think you could probably get around those specs with £600 and as a bonus it'll render 3D scenes decently if you want to incorporate that into a project.
You cannot afford a MAC on that budget so I would recommend an Asus with a 2gb video card, 1.7 Intel quad-core and at least 8MB of Ram for any CAD, or art work. Or you can save a few more months and get the Mac.
Make sure its using a 64-bit operating system and has ALOT of ram. Most important things. Cant stress that enough lmao.

And make sure its not a mac either.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending