The Student Room Group

Parents won't help me move to university.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by eskimo_rising
You can pay a little bit extra and get a more open ticket, their ticketing structure is both convoluted and absurd though, it literally makes no logical sense.

For big bags you use the pram/disabled gates as someone else said.

Don't run for transport in london if you have heavy bags [unless it's the last train, bus etc. :biggrin:]

Genrally you get buses every 4-8 minutes, trains every 15-30 minutes and tube every 4 minutes in peak times. If a bus or tube looks like it's not got enough space or uncomfortable just wait for the next one.

Yes, it is annoying.

While 4-8 minutes is correct for the buses around the Stratford campus, around the Docklands campus only one of the 5 routes meet that criteria. Three of them run every 12 minutes, while the remaining one is every 20 minutes although that one shouldn't be needed. The night bus is every 30 minutes.

Peak time tube on certain lines is every 2 minutes! But DLR around the campus is every 8 minutes during the peaks, every 10 minutes in the evening, and an odd every 2-8 minutes in the late morning / early afternoon.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by avhhs
Need to be careful with that, as those "Advance" tickets can only be used on the train service that you book it for. If you want to be able to get any off-peak train then it will cost more, and the same as if you buy on the day (the only advantage of booking that in advance would be to make seat reservations if they're available).

Ah yeah, I should have probably mentioned that. Thanks :tongue:. Although, of the three trains and tube I had to get, it was actually only the very first train (a virgin train) that had the reservation coupon thing. So once I got into London, I could get any time train I wanted. Although I appreciate that this will vary depending on different journeys and routes.

Also, you do generally get given enough time with these tickets to get to the next train, even with lots of heavy luggage.
dude that sucks a lttel in adation to clothe ect i would also bring a laptop that you can surf the net on we had a few peopl last year that had prpbems with pernt's not lettingbthem move out one of them decided to just sneek off and was asking about how much syff she could buy in the city you could always but bedding downthere to save on pcking if you wan't also you will need some kind of food so go shopping as soon as you are settaled in pasta sauce and noodels are a student staple good luck
Original post by New- Emperor
dude that sucks a lttel in adation to clothe ect i would also bring a laptop that you can surf the net on we had a few peopl last year that had prpbems with pernt's not lettingbthem move out one of them decided to just sneek off and was asking about how much syff she could buy in the city you could always but bedding downthere to save on pcking if you wan't also you will need some kind of food so go shopping as soon as you are settaled in pasta sauce and noodels are a student staple good luck

I've already bought all my bedding and stuff, and its hard enough carrying that by itself, let alone everything else :frown:
Original post by UpInTheMorning
Yup. Looks like if you buy a railcard you can get a ticket office to set your Oyster card to charge you 1/3 discounted fares.

https://tfl.gov.uk/fares-and-payments/adult-discounts-and-concessions/railcards#on-this-page-7

Wasn't disputing that, mate. She was asking about combining her railcard discount and student oyster discount. :smile:
Just hire a man with a van who's willing to take you with him and do long drives. That way you'll have all your luggage and can be dropped of right outside uni.

I do removals in my transit but you're at te other end of the country. I do a student discount and I know a lot of other drivers do too so it'd be worth looking into.
Or could you get a mate to drive you or so something
If I were you I'd pack very sensibly, take the train to Paddington and download Uber before you leave. Book a cab and use some of that student loan to get a cab to uni. You can use my promo code to get £10 off your first ride: chloel162

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Chihiro95
Wasn't disputing that, mate. She was asking about combining her railcard discount and student oyster discount. :smile:

Sorry didn't read your previous post. Yes you're probably right :smile:
Original post by AdorableDrip
Thanks, National Rail clearly wants more money from me :P I'm just worried about taking a big suitcase on the tube with the barriers and stuff :frown:

Go through the wheelchair gates for the barriers, and then stand nearish the doors but not blocking them so that people can get to seats :smile:. I've done it with and without a suitcase.
Original post by DeadGirlsDance
Go through the wheelchair gates for the barriers, and then stand nearish the doors but not blocking them so that people can get to seats :smile:. I've done it with and without a suitcase.

Standing for 3/4h on one train is going to be old fast :P
Standing for 3/4h on one train is going to be old fast :P

I meant on the tube. Obviously sit down on the actual trains.
just thinking... national express to a coach from Bickington (do you know it? apparently it is in Devon) to various places in London around £30. that may be easier that the train cause you dont have to change trains and your luggage is put in hold which is less stress
Original post by schmuur
just thinking... national express to a coach from Bickington (do you know it? apparently it is in Devon) to various places in London around £30. that may be easier that the train cause you dont have to change trains and your luggage is put in hold which is less stress

There is 2 Bickington's in Devon, one is 2 buses away and about 50 minutes to get to, and the other one is 3 hours away and 4 buses :P and they have a limit to how much you can take which sucks!
There is 2 Bickington's in Devon, one is 2 buses away and about 50 minutes to get to, and the other one is 3 hours away and 4 buses :P and they have a limit to how much you can take which sucks!

ohh, that sucks! could you pay for extra luggage allowance like you can on a plane? maybe you could look into it, and then surely you could get a ride from parents to the bus stop?
Is it possible that he real reson Mum and Dad don't want tonhepl you move Is because they they will find it too hard to say goodbye?
Reply 56
What campus are you staying in..?
Original post by New- Emperor
Is it possible that he real reson Mum and Dad don't want tonhepl you move Is because they they will find it too hard to say goodbye?

I doubt it. When I was younger and I told my dad I was running away he packed my bags for me :P He just hates driving for ages :frown:
Original post by Ness'B
What campus are you staying in..?

Docklands
For some of the bulkier things, like kitchen stuff, I'd look around to see if theres an argos near your uni/accommodation. Quite a few people order stuff online and get it sent to their uni city instead, then pick it up when they arrive :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest