The Student Room Group

Is my boyfriend too protective

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by SmashConcept
Clocked must mean something different where I'm from.

u having a laugh m8?? ill hook him in the gabber
Original post by AvaAdore
He is older than me which makes the him-looking-after-me thing make me feel more uncomfortable.

This is interesting. Can I ask why?
I guess it must. Clocked to us means registered on the radar, gave him a look, you know?

Yeah, OK, that's where the confusion is from. Sounds like he was acting normal.
imo I don't think so, he will obviously care about you and doesn't want any harm to come to you :smile: he was just trying to protect you, I don't see it as a bad thing

but I do understand how it can be annoying when you know you have control of the situation already, but he doesn't know that for sure so he just did what he thought was best :smile:
Reply 24
Original post by Hashim123
This is interesting. Can I ask why?

I don't know! I guess maybe I'm sometimes aware I'm younger than him and younger than all his friend's wives and girlfriends. I've always looked after myself so I'm hyper-sensitive to feeling like I'm being babied. I guess I need to get used to someone looking after me or something
I don't know! I guess maybe I'm sometimes aware I'm younger than him and younger than all his friend's wives and girlfriends. I've always looked after myself so I'm hyper-sensitive to feeling like I'm being babied. I guess I need to get used to someone looking after me or something

When I thought you meant 'clocked' as in punched I thought too far but 'clocked' as in looked at doesn't seem all that bad. I wouldn't call it overprotective, but that is just by me. You don't have to feel the same way. If you like being independent in that manner and feel uncomfortable with the behaviour nothing says you have to get used to it! What ever happened to communication?! You should be telling him that how he behaved made you feel uncomfortable, and explaining why, not coming onto a forum so that when enough people have told you something you can make yourself believe it despite your obvious discomfort with it. You don't have to make him change his (over)protective ways, just come to an understanding that works for you both. Not just change yourself to become more pliant.
went a bit far

Veeeery ambiguous. What exactly do you mean?

Yeah, I understand. I suppose that makes sense.
Reply 28
He wants to protect you and that's not a bad thing as it shows his love for you.
Seems legit. He wasn't over protective in this situation OP.
Reply 30
Original post by Jooooshy
Veeeery ambiguous. What exactly do you mean?

He was a bit handsy
He was a bit handsy

Only a coward would stand and watch another man touch up his girlfriend!
Reply 32
Original post by Jooooshy
Only a coward would stand and watch another man touch up his girlfriend!

He wasn't touching me up
He wasn't touching me up

Ah sorry I misinterpreted handsy :smile:
Perhaps a little, but he didn't respond like that the first time.
Also I should probably say he never gets into fights in real life, ha. He's a fighter. But never in life.

Tekken?

I'm with you on the meaning of "clocked" by the way.

I think this is one of those things each couple has to establish. My girlfriend wouldn't want me to leave her to deal with an annoying guy on her own, but she really wouldn't want me to make a scene. What I do is just walk over and put my arm around her or something, simple and clear.
I think you should talk to him about it. If his behaviour made you uncomfortable/annoyed you, talk to him and explain why. Then you can set a precedent for if it happens again in the future (hopefully not of course)
I'm just after some perspective really. I went out the other night with a group of friends including my boyfriend. I was approached by a guy and told him nicely where to go. My boyfriend clocked him but didn't say anything.

Later on in the night this man approached me again and went a bit far I told him to back off and he did but by this point my bf was making his way over and got in this guy's face and the guy slinked away a bit embarrassed (my bf can look a bit intimidating)

I was a bit annoyed about this as I felt I was handling it fine, he said he didn't want me to be disrespected and saw red. What do you guys think? Overprotective or no?

Not overprotective at all. If he was overprotective he would have said something the first time. He is just looking out for you.
Nah that's ok, as some other posters have mentioned I thought clocked meant that he hit him first time around but if it was just a look then that's fine. He was just doing what a decent boyfriend would do :smile:
I wouldn't say he was being overprotective - he probably didn't realise you had control of the situation (clubs are loud places where you can barely hear each other talk remember, he could only see what was going on), and it was the second time the guy had approached you when you'd made it clear you weren't interested. He probably thought you were in distress and needed his help - to me that was just being a caring boyfriend! If another guy had done the same to me then I wouldn't ask my boyfriend to scare him away, but equally I would understand him being annoyed by it and reacting like that.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending