The Student Room Group

German school tells girls to respect Syrian refugees and dress modestly

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Pwyll
This is all much ado about nothing, but the obligation to be sensitive is not on the host, but the guest.

Of course these refugees should be treated with the same decency, hospitality, and respect afforded to everyone else. However, you can understand how some people might resent somebody presuming - as they perceive - to recommend to them to modify their practices to suit a very small minority to whom they are already extending hospitality. Emirati or Saudi Arabian women are not advised to dress in a more western manner out of respect for western guests in their country, are they? A restaurant would not prohibit its staff from accepting tips lest somebody from a culture in which tipping is frowned upon disapproves.

Bloody hell, (whilst i agree on the clothing aspect, I also accept their more conservative views) you make it sound like wearing a slightly longer skirt is the end of the world for people who have just been bombed out of their homes, being tolerant and understand makes the world go round, not more conflict over a piece of cloth.
Original post by Sykro
Bloody hell, (whilst i agree on the clothing aspect, I also accept their more conservative views) you make it sound like wearing a slightly longer skirt is the end of the world for people who have just been bombed out of their homes, being tolerant and understand makes the world go round, not more conflict over a piece of cloth.

then why is that tolerance always one way?

But he hits the nail with this one

'However, you can understand how some people might resent somebody presuming - as they perceive - to recommend to them to modify their practices to suit a very small minority to whom they are already extending hospitality.'
Original post by marco14196
Really? Are you actually kidding? That's ridiculous. They have been welcomed into a country to escape from the war in theirs and now they have the audacity to impose demands on a German school. That's atrocious. If I went out to the Middle East with a girlfriend and she wasn't wearing a hijab, we'd be hounded at for her not wearing. We don't make such demands on refugees when they come into Europe but they seriously have the audacity.....Look, I don't have a problem with any followers of religion. Practice what you want to practice. But don't....DON'T....try and impose your views on others when you have no footing to stand on.

I went to the middle east countless times and we came back to the UK safely without my mother wearing a hijab so I doubt you'd be hounded
Reply 43
You wouldn't go into someone else's home and rearrange their furniture.

(Unless you were an interior designer or a mover).
I'd carry on wearing what I want. If people are offended by a bit of skin then that's there problem.
I'd just like to point out that we should really stop calling war refugees 'guests'. The approach to this issue from some of you is completely wrong: these people are not tourists who decided to come visit Germany for a week, these are people, including many children, who have already survived more horrors than most of us ever will. They are shocked and traumatized and their actions will not always make sense to us. The headmaster here has merely warned that these men and boys, who are absolutely not used to seeing naked skin on girls, may react inappropriately. Given that we have the luck to live in safe countries should make us grateful enough to ditch the mini-skirt for a while and make integration for these poor people a little easier. And you know what? See-through blouses and super short skirts have nothing to do in schools anyway, and Bavaria, being one of the most conservative states in Germany, is surely happy about a reason to make girls dress a little more appropriate.

The overall opinion in Germany is that these people need a chance to integrate themselves properly. That won't happen in a week and properly not even in six months, but anyone who is willing to integrate and wants to stay in Germany will have the chance to do so and will be welcome.
Original post by arina162
I'd just like to point out that we should really stop calling war refugees 'guests'. The approach to this issue from some of you is completely wrong: these people are not tourists who decided to come visit Germany for a week, these are people, including many children, who have already survived more horrors than most of us ever will. They are shocked and traumatized and their actions will not always make sense to us. The headmaster here has merely warned that these men and boys, who are absolutely not used to seeing naked skin on girls, may react inappropriately. Given that we have the luck to live in safe countries should make us grateful enough to ditch the mini-skirt for a while and make integration for these poor people a little easier. And you know what? See-through blouses and super short skirts have nothing to do in schools anyway, and Bavaria, being one of the most conservative states in Germany, is surely happy about a reason to make girls dress a little more appropriate.

The overall opinion in Germany is that these people need a chance to integrate themselves properly. That won't happen in a week and properly not even in six months, but anyone who is willing to integrate and wants to stay in Germany will have the chance to do so and will be welcome.

Rot complete and utter rot

They are guests as they will have been moved from a refugee camp (they have not gone to Germany first and claimed asylum there)

And can you imagine the outrage if these guests were told 'we are not used to seeing women covered in this area so can you ensure you uncover your women to prevent any 'issues' that may arise'

Look the fact is sexually hassling women for the way they dress is abhorrent and should be tackled at source just because this new community is backward and don't get this is irrelevant and they should be informed in very clear language you cause trouble here you get sent back to where you come from as I'm sure they can be replaced with more who won't see a little leg and get all confused and assault them for it
Really? Are you actually kidding? That's ridiculous. They have been welcomed into a country to escape from the war in theirs and now they have the audacity to impose demands on a German school. That's atrocious. If I went out to the Middle East with a girlfriend and she wasn't wearing a hijab, we'd be hounded at for her not wearing. We don't make such demands on refugees when they come into Europe but they seriously have the audacity.....Look, I don't have a problem with any followers of religion. Practice what you want to practice. But don't....DON'T....try and impose your views on others when you have no footing to stand on.

Original post by Mark8346
Why should people have to change the way they behave just in case not doing so might offend a refugee?

Refugees should be happy they have a place to stay at all, and the people who live in the country that is hosting the refugees certainly shouldn't have to change the way they dress or behave to accommodate them.

Part of mutual respect is realizing that they are not in their home country, and that the country that is being nice enough to host them certainly doesn't have to change the way its people dresses.

If you guys read the article, there is no demand from the refugees or any sort of implication that the refugees are responsible for this.

This "demand" is actually coming from the school and the headteacher, if anyone is to blame it's them, the refugees have not demanded anything at all. It just seems to be something which will stir hatred and animosity towards the refugees for something they did not do.
Original post by Iqbal007
If you guys read the article, there is no demand from the refugees or any sort of implication that the refugees are responsible for this.

This "demand" is actually coming from the school and the headteacher, if anyone is to blame it's them, the refugees have not demanded anything at all. It just seems to be something which will stir hatred and animosity towards the refugees for something they did not do.

Nowhere in my post did I claim that the refugees made the demand. I simply said the people in the hosting country shouldn't have to change their behavior to accommodate them. I am aware that the headmaster attempted to enforce a change in behavior.
Nowhere in my post did I claim that the refugees made the demand. I simply said the people in the hosting country shouldn't have to change their behavior to accommodate them. I am aware that the headmaster attempted to enforce a change in behavior.

Its because you wrote this below.....everyones jumping on the blame the refugees bandwagon when its the school thats the problem. it's happened before where the people responsible don't get blamed and stirred a lot.

That they're demanding these school girls change attire because it doesn't conform to their religion leads me to the supposition that they don't want to integrate.
Original post by Iqbal007
Its because you wrote this below.....

How is that me?
Original post by queen-bee
How does this concern you?

I think the concern is that it's the natives who are having to change their behaviour, not the refugees.

Germany is not a Muslim country and therefore people should not have to dress in a manner than appeases Muslim men.
How is that me?

oh loool sorry, my bad awks :/
Reply 53
Original post by Sykro

That wasn't I said at all. The school was not addressing the refugees but their students. I doubt the refugees really give a damn about how German girls dress, considering that they have, as you describe, been bombed out of their homes. And as I said, this issue has been blown completely out of proportion.

Of course complying with the request wouldn't mean the end of the world, but that's not a valid reason for them to do so anyway.
Original post by Sykro
"Don't eyeball them", of course not, they are humans who just happened to be caught up in fighting they don't have control over, and with regards to the dressing, their cultures are different, so it might offend them, the same way it offends people if you don't give them tips in restuarants.
Being tolerant to others is what makes people great, if you can't let this slide, you might as well go back to the far right and turn into Nazis.

Also have some decency your tsr trolls, sitting in your comfortable chairs with a roof over your head, their homes are blown up, their brothers and sisters were killed and bleed to death in front of their eyes, let them rest here with a bit of comfort at least.

Humanity will always prevail. Well done Germany.

You make me sick
Original post by misteltain
And here we have two idiots mouthing off without reading the article. Nowhere in it did it state that the refugees personally asked or demanded that these schoolkids change their clothing. It's the politicians and school who suggested so. Don't put words into their mouth, they've barely escaped with their lives.

I'd also like to know if this was actually at the request of the refugees. Because, thinking about it and from experience in dealing with the retards, I'd put money on it being yet another case of social justice warrior natives imagining and dreaming up offence when none was had by anybody other than themselves.

It's a shame when this happens. Like when those mongs at Birmingam council stopped referring to Christmas and instead insisted in calling it "Winterval" or some cringeworthy crap. I bet not a single Muslim or Hindu ever cared that people celebrated Christmas. It's just white social justice warrior retards being offended in their behalf, ironically making the Muslims look bad in the process. Just like in this Bavaria case.

That's why social justice warriors are scum. They're too stupid and ignorant to understand the damage they do to society. They always mess up everything. Like the feminist and LBGT movements too. It's like they try to make them jokes.
(edited 8 years ago)
Where's a "slut walk" when you need one?

Have these boneheads considered that this 'request' might actually be disrespectful to the Germans who lived there before these refugees were generously accommodated? Why should they be expected to change the way they dress for visitors? Why must their freedoms be restricted because people from somewhere else can't bear the sight of skin?
Original post by quentinhamilton
I went to the middle east countless times and we came back to the UK safely without my mother wearing a hijab so I doubt you'd be hounded

Exactly, I bet none of these refugees care. It's just idiots like Sykro inferring that they're the type of scumbags who demand we give up our rights and traditions to accommodate them when actually they're most likely on the level.

People like him are messing it up for the refugees and others
Original post by KimKallstrom
I'd also like to know if this was actually at the request of the refugees. Because, thinking about it and from experience in dealing with the retards, I'd put money on it being yet another case of social justice warrior natives imagining and dreaming up offence when none was had by anybody other than themselves.

It's a shame when this happens. Like when those mongs at Birmingam council stopped referring to Christmas and instead insisted in calling it "Winterval" or some cringeworthy crap. I bet not a single Muslim or Hindu ever cared that people celebrated Christmas. It's just white social justice warrior retards being offended in their behalf, ironically making the Muslims look bad in the process. Just like in this Bavaria case.

That's why social justice warriors are scum. They're too stupid and ignorant to understand the damage they do to society. They always mess up everything. Like the feminist and LBGT movements too. It's like they try to make them jokes.

I agree completely and I'm willing to bet it's the SJW at work. I find it very hard to believe that a group of people who have escaped a war torn country where they experienced extreme violence and poverty would give a toss that some kids next door aren't dressing "modestly", whatever that even means in this case. And what are people's immediate reaction to this? omg these muslims HOW DARE THEY@!!!!11!
Original post by Dandaman1
Where's a "slut walk" when you need one?

Have these boneheads considered that this 'request' might actually be disrespectful to the Germans who lived there before these refugees were generously accommodated? Why should they be expected to change the way they dress for visitors? Why must their freedoms be restricted because people from somewhere else can't bear the sight of skin?

God forbid feminism ever tackles the giant Islamic elephant in the room.

Quick Reply

Latest