The Student Room Group

Who should write my reference?

I'm planning on applying to Cambridge/LSE and other competitive universities for economics, so I was wondering who I should get a reference from. I'm close to both my economics teacher and the senior headmistress of my school and both of them would write me a reference happily, so who would be a better choice?Thanks
Original post by fastwit07
I'm planning on applying to Cambridge/LSE and other competitive universities for economics, so I was wondering who I should get a reference from. I'm close to both my economics teacher and the senior headmistress of my school and both of them would write me a reference happily, so who would be a better choice?Thanks

Schools usually compile references from all subject teachers as all subjects need to be included, not just the one you are applying for. The head is the one who has ultimate responsibility for them, but it's often delegated to the head of sixth form. Your school will have a system for doing them and I'd be very surprised indeed if they give you any choice in the matter.
Reply 2
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
Schools usually compile references from all subject teachers as all subjects need to be included, not just the one you are applying for. The head is the one who has ultimate responsibility for them, but it's often delegated to the head of sixth form. Your school will have a system for doing them and I'd be very surprised indeed if they give you any choice in the matter.

I'm actually an international applicant and my school doesn't compile our application for us, we have to do everything individually. Hence, I was just asking whether a reference from a headmistress has more value than, say, one from a subject teacher.

Ask both and pick the better one? That's what I would do.

Is it not possible to use 2 references? Also I think the subject teacher would be pretty good as they would talk about you being good in the specific subject you want to do. Whereas a head might focus more generally on your studies still including it just not as much detail?
I'm actually an international applicant and my school doesn't compile our application for us, we have to do everything individually. Hence, I was just asking whether a reference from a headmistress has more value than, say, one from a subject teacher.

Does either teacher have experience of supporting a student through the UCAS process? I would chose a teacher with experience of UCAS where at all possible- This means they'll be able to provide you with support and guidance, rather than the other way around.

In general, as CLR says, most UK schools have a standard process for writing the reference. Which teacher writes it won't matter too much, so long as they are able to provide predicted grades for all your subjects and comment on your overall suitability for the course. Sometimes a teacher who knows you better can write a better reference as they will have more to say about you.
Reply 5
Both teachers know me quite well and are comfortable with the UCAS reference process. So universities don't necessarily regard one as higher than the other, right?
(edited 8 years ago)
Both teachers know me quite well and are comfortable with the UCAS reference process. So universities don't necessarily regard one as higher than the other, right?

They are interested in the content and as long as it comes from someone who knows you in an academic capacity and that is proven, then it doesn't matter who it is. The head of the institution is the one who is officially responsible for the reference. It goes out under the name of the school, not under individual teachers' names.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending