The Student Room Group

What's the point of Taraweeh

Someone do tell me the Point of it.
I stand there for hours, with people I don't know and in a language I don't understand.
I barely know anyone there and don't even feel part of the community either.
And how come it's voluntary but I'm dragged along to it all the time?

Scroll to see replies

Couldn't you say the same things about Friday prayers?

Tbh they should do it in english.
Reply 2
Original post by Kadak
I stand there for hours, with people I don't know and in a language I don't understand.

zzz leave after 8
Reply 3
if u cant be bothered just go takeaway and buy a kebab and kill time fam
Reply 4
Night prayers in Ramadan are a blessing, and one should not argue about this fine point.
Original post by riq23
zzz leave after 8

I cant ,its my Dad who drags me along and I cant leave unless he leaves.
I think you need to start from the basics.
Reply 7
Sit at home and read Quran translation that's actually interesting. I don't know taraweeh is optional but I guess it's almost seem like its a must?
Reply 8
Original post by EastGuava
What's the point of normal prayers? Lol

I feel sorry for your poor soul.
Original post by EastGuava
What's the point of normal prayers? Lol

Original post by Mary562

I think she was being sarcastic.
Reply 10
Original post by Kadak

Its sunnah and in ramadhan you have the chance to get your sins forgiven, you should be greatful you have the opportunity to pray because there are many people in this world that would love to be in your position.
Doesnt matter if you dont undersatnd, you should read translation of it, but know that you will be rewarded for it, it the haq.
Original post by Kadak

I think it's sad you're being forced along, that's no way to teach a 17/18 year old to learn/practice his religion.

It depends on where you go for the recitation. If you go to a mosque where there's amazing reciters then ideally you would really enjoy it. I know I do.
Original post by Kadak

There is no point in reading if your heart is not in it as it is all about your intentions. It should never be forced though as you can never force a person to believe no matter how hard you try so your dad is probably wasting his energy!
Original post by Kadak

Don't question your religion you'll go to hell where you will burn for ever.... joke
Original post by Carpe Diem Jay
I think it's sad you're being forced along, that's no way to teach a 17/18 year old to learn/practice his religion.

It depends on where you go for the recitation. If you go to a mosque where there's amazing reciters then ideally you would really enjoy it. I know I do.

I actually don't enjoy it, I think it is a waste off time and the elder people are the most condescending individuals you could ever come across.

religions worship has always felt like a chore to me and my heart has never been into it. Prayer including Friday prayer was always to something i did, i never felt anything divine from it no matter how hard i tried to clean my mind and engage.

Today I have come to a point where I have realized god only touches those who create the illusion in their own heads.
i don't go at all. it's not compulsury, maybe ur parents are just forcing you
Original post by hyenas.ma
I actually don't enjoy it, I think it is a waste off time and the elder people are the most condescending individuals you could ever come across.

religions worship has always felt like a chore to me and my heart has never been into it. Prayer including Friday prayer was always to something i did, i never felt anything divine from it no matter how hard i tried to clean my mind and engage.

Today I have come to a point where I have realized god only touches those who create the illusion in their own heads.

I'm really sorry to hear that :frown:

The mosque I go to the people all are friendly enough, nobody's really condescending or anything. Yeah, prayer does sometimes seem like a chore, hence why I've never always prayed it :/

To each their own I suppose, personally I feel moved when I hear nice recitation. I'm sorry you've come to that conclusion. InshaAllah things will change for the better for you, whatever that may be.
Reply 17
Original post by Mary562

I feel sorry for you since your religion has made in you into a very narrow minded harsh human being :frown:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 18
Original post by 408655
I feel sorry for you being muslim :frown:

:nopity:[add this too]
Reply 19
Original post by Mary562
:nopity:[add this too]

pls give a serious response next time

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending