The Student Room Group

Boredom in gap year?

Long story short, I am on an unexpected gap year (starting uni this year in September though!) and I have been trying since January to get a job.

At this point I have sort of given up. I have retail experience and that's where I have been applying. Its gotten to the stage now where the big 'are you planning on going to university?' question crops up in every single damn interview. And I can't really lie. So, yeah, there's an automatic 'NOPE' on my application.

I just wondered if anyone else has ever/is experiencing this sort of thing on their gap year? If so, what did you do if you couldn't get a job?

Just don't want this year to come back and bite me in the butt in the future. :frown:
You are planning on going to university, that's why you're applying or have applied, you should have said yes
If you have honestly been trying since January and still no luck, I think you should just lie and say no you're not applying...a gap year with nothing to show for it will be a real red flag in the future...
Try Next, Primark, Maccies or Bon Marche (if you haven't already), have pals who managed to get jobs there for the summer despite being off to uni.
Reply 4
Original post by blackened_sky
Try Next, Primark, Maccies or Bon Marche (if you haven't already), have pals who managed to get jobs there for the summer despite being off to uni.

I've tried them all at some point, no luck yet but thank you.
Reply 5
Original post by luckystar1900
If you have honestly been trying since January and still no luck, I think you should just lie and say no you're not applying...a gap year with nothing to show for it will be a real red flag in the future...

Yes, I honestly have been applying since then. I was considering that but I wouldn't want it to affect future references. I've been volunteering at various places so hopefully it won't look bad.
Original post by sophshmeh
I've tried them all at some point, no luck yet but thank you.

I see, that sucks. How about some volunteering? I know it's unpaid, but at least then you've got something to show for the year off. And it shows that you're willing to work despite an incentive.
Reply 7
Original post by blackened_sky
I see, that sucks. How about some volunteering? I know it's unpaid, but at least then you've got something to show for the year off. And it shows that you're willing to work despite an incentive.

I volunteer at the moment and i'm looking to help out at some other schemes over the summer too. I genuinely enjoy volunteering its just interviews coincide sometimes. :frown:
Original post by sophshmeh
I volunteer at the moment and i'm looking to help out at some other schemes over the summer too. I genuinely enjoy volunteering its just interviews coincide sometimes. :frown:

Ay there you go then, doubt this year will hurt you in the future. Volunteering is always great to have on your CV. Plus you'll already have a lot more experience than most people graduating from uni have.
Reply 9
Massive respect for not lying. Your situation was exactly my gap year. I dropped out of university (I didn't want to leave, but really hated my course) And then I couldn't find work I was returning to university in September on a new course, I was shut down immediately when I disclosed this in an interview. I'd apply for about 10 - 20 jobs a day, spent hours writing new cover letters and tailoring my CV to each role. No luck. So I did what you did and just volunteered. That to me, (and hopefully your future employees) will see that you're not just going to sit around and do nothing. You were/proactive and decided to work for free. That's very admirable
Reply 10
Original post by JD1lla
Massive respect for not lying. Your situation was exactly my gap year. I dropped out of university (I didn't want to leave, but really hated my course) And then I couldn't find work I was returning to university in September on a new course, I was shut down immediately when I disclosed this in an interview. I'd apply for about 10 - 20 jobs a day, spent hours writing new cover letters and tailoring my CV to each role. No luck. So I did what you did and just volunteered. That to me, (and hopefully your future employees) will see that you're not just going to sit around and do nothing. You were/proactive and decided to work for free. That's very admirable

Thank you, you too! You literally just described my life for the past several months, can't believe how similar it is. Thanks so much, I'm glad to know there's someone who's been there and done that too. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest