The Student Room Group

This is how my dad shows he loves me

"Your a stupid child child who thinks he knows everything.You can run away to uni in Scotland or kill yourself,I don't care.If you kill yourself,you will end up in Hell and have to answer God."

This is how abusive Dad said to me. All this because he believes in the stupid idea that Mobile phones cause cancer.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Kadak
"Your a stupid child child who thinks he knows everything.You can run away to uni in Scotland or kill yourself,I don't care.If you kill yourself,you will end up in Hell and have to answer God."

This is how abusive Dad said to me. All this because he believes in the stupid idea that Mobile phones cause cancer.

Ah I'm sorry. :frown:. Do you have any other nicer family members you can turn to for support?
Original post by banoffeee
Ah I'm sorry. :frown:. Do you have any other nicer family members you can turn to for support?

No I dont ,but it doesnt really matter anymore ,Ive become very inward looking,a method I use to help me stay sane.
Reply 3
Original post by Kadak
No I dont ,but it doesnt really matter anymore ,Ive become very inward looking,a method I use to help me stay sane.

You're going away for uni soon, you really don't that much long left to wait
Hmm. Tell him that mobile phones use microwaves. Microwaves have a lower energy than visible light. So if he thinks that mobile phones cause cancer, then he should really be more concerned about the light which is all around him, as it has a higher energy and is more ionising than microwaves, which means that being around any visible light is more likely to cause cancer than a mobile phone.

Anyway, I don't really understand what that has to do with mobile phones, but good luck with that.
Original post by 408655
You're going away for uni soon, you really don't that much long left to wait

Posted from TSR Mobile
I honestly can't wait.I be able to breathe a sigh of relief and be free. I'll be able to actually do the things I enjoy.
(Recent) personal experience has taught me that battles of intelligence with parents - my dad, specifically - just don't work. The last time that happened, and it became a little clear to him that I might know what I'm talking about more than he did, it got very ugly. Needless to say, since then I've learnt there's just no use. If you need to argue, keep it civil, if for no other reason than the fact he's your dad, all the while aiming to get out of there as soon as possible if you really can't take it. Also, as a general addendum, I'd say always entertain the fact that, as intelligent as you are, you can always be wrong just because your dad has more life experience than you do (and that applies across the board in life, not just with parents), but I doubt that applies in this particular situation.

If there's one thing devouring all ten seasons of Friends in about two months has taught me, it's that some of those close to us have views we just don't gel with, and that's that never a reason in and of itself to cut them out of your life. If that applies to friendships, it definitely applies to family.
Original post by Hashim123
(Recent) personal experience has taught me that battles of intelligence with parents - my dad, specifically - just don't work. The last time that happened, and it became a little clear to him that I might know what I'm talking about more than he did, it got very ugly. Needless to say, since then I've learnt there's just no use. If you need to argue, keep it civil, if for no other reason than the fact he's your dad, all the while aiming to get out of there as soon as possible if you really can't take it. Also, as a general addendum, I'd say always entertain the fact that, as intelligent as you are, you can always be wrong just because your dad has more life experience than you do (and that applies across the board in life, not just with parents), but I doubt that applies in this particular situation.

If there's one thing devouring all ten seasons of Friends in about two months has taught me, it's that some of those close to us have views we just don't gel with, and that's that never a reason in and of itself to cut them out of your life. If that applies to friendships, it definitely applies to family.

Posted from TSR Mobile
But does this have to justify my Dad physically assaulting me?
Original post by Kadak
Posted from TSR Mobile
But does this have to justify my Dad physically assaulting me?

You never said he physically assaulted you.
Reply 9
Quite upsetting to hear all this... I do not know what to say,
Reply 10
Original post by Kadak
Posted from TSR Mobile
I honestly can't wait.I be able to breathe a sigh of relief and be free. I'll be able to actually do the things I enjoy.

I know the feeling, the bubble of excitement so desperately wanting to burst :smile: I'm coming from a strict muslim family too and I'm running away to a scottish university this glorious wonderful autumn. Good luck to us and others in the same situation :biggrin:
Original post by Hashim123
You never said he physically assaulted you.

Posted from TSR Mobile

When I said "my abusive Dad ",I mean that he abuses me physically and emotionally,mostly emotionally but he did become physical tonight :frown::erm:.
Original post by Kadak
Posted from TSR Mobile

When I said "my abusive Dad ",I mean that he abuses me physically and emotionally,mostly emotionally but he did become physical tonight :frown::erm:.

Damn, I'm sorry to hear that, man. If anything, though, that makes my advice even more relevant - you come from a Muslim background, so I'm guessing both defending yourself and calling social services on him is out, in which case your only option is to avoid any sort of confrontation with him, not least because your safety now depends on it. Count down the days you've got left till you move out, and in the meantime, remember that educating him on stuff is not worth getting your ass handed to you for it.
I'm sorry to hear that; not sure what to say.
:console:
Original post by Captain Josh
Hmm. Tell him that mobile phones use microwaves. Microwaves have a lower energy than visible light. So if he thinks that mobile phones cause cancer, then he should really be more concerned about the light which is all around him, as it has a higher energy and is more ionising than microwaves, which means that being around any visible light is more likely to cause cancer than a mobile phone.

Anyway, I don't really understand what that has to do with mobile phones, but good luck with that.

Wait, are you saying that everyday light is more radioactive than a phone?
I'm really sorry to hear how your dad treats you, I can understand how you feel.

As a sidenote, mobile phone radiation is quite bad.
Original post by Kadak

That's not stupid. They do increase risks of cancer. It's because the radio waves (or which ever wave it is) in mobile phones can cause damage to the DNA when they come into contact with those molecules by ionising them. This changes the DNA and can cause cancer if the body doesn't rectify it first (there are systems in place that try to rectify damaged DNA). It's kinda common sense stuff if you paid attention in science lessons in school ngl.
Original post by ChickenMadness
That's not stupid. They do increase risks of cancer. It's because the radio waves (or which ever wave it is) in mobile phones can cause damage to the DNA when they come into contact with those molecules by ionising them. This changes the DNA and can cause cancer if the body doesn't rectify it first (there are systems in place that try to rectify damaged DNA). It's kinda common sense stuff if you paid attention in science lessons in school ngl.

Posted from TSR Mobile
It seems I'm not the one who needs to pay attention in class,radio waves aren't ionising radiation.
Original post by Captain Josh

They're also more penetrating than visible light. Light just hits your skin microwaves go through your body.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending