The Student Room Group

Is it worth changing your surname by deed poll?

I don't like the sound of my surname so I want to change it by deed poll, it's a fairly simple process, but once it's changed its quite a tedious procedure to then change the surname on the passport, driving license and bank etc.
its not too bad, i just sent letters to them all and called them. you might have to pay to have your passport changed but thats about it
That's a pretty silly reason for wanting to change it, OP. Go on, tell us your surname and we'll tell you whether to change it! We can even suggest what to change it to :biggrin:
Original post by claireestelle
its not too bad, i just sent letters to them all and called them. you might have to pay to have your passport changed but thats about it

Did you have to notify your schools, colleges, previous employers etc
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Duncan2012
That's a pretty silly reason for wanting to change it, OP. Go on, tell us your surname and we'll tell you whether to change it! We can even suggest what to change it to :biggrin:

I'm a writer, whenever I published something I always used a pseudonym but now that I'm entering the corporate world, I want to change my actual surname, something that sounds good on the tongue.
Original post by daydreamer93
Did you have to notify your schools, colleges, previous employers etc

i had to notify anyone that i was currently with, you cant change any past records, so my gcse certificates and a level certificates have a different surname as i changed my name at 17.
Original post by daydreamer93
I'm a writer, whenever I published something I always used a pseudonym but now that I'm entering the corporate world, I want to change my actual surname, something that sounds good on the tongue.

You said you're wanting to change it because you 'don't like the sound of it' - I said I think that's a silly reason. The pseudonym bit is nice but irrelevant.

Short answer - it's your life, you can change it if you want to. Just update the people/organisations who hold current information on you.
Reply 7
How bad could it be?
You're not called Constantinople Theodopolopodous are you?
What are you going to change your surname to?

Quick Reply

Latest