The Student Room Group

Does anyone bench alone ?

Scroll to see replies

I still can't dump a dumbbell if I fail without risk of injury, even if I'm to aggressive getting onto the bench you can easily injure your shoulder with 40kg+.

I think Candito has a video about how to bench without a spotter, basically just says leave the collars off, and if need be you can just tilt the bar and the weights slide off. You can always just roll it, be mindful with your reps, or bench with safety bars of some form.

Last resort you could just get some friends, and hence a gym buddy.
Original post by Fizzel
I still can't dump a dumbbell if I fail without risk of injury, even if I'm to aggressive getting onto the bench you can easily injure your shoulder with 40kg+.

I think Candito has a video about how to bench without a spotter, basically just says leave the collars off, and if need be you can just tilt the bar and the weights slide off. You can always just roll it, be mindful with your reps, or bench with safety bars of some form.

Last resort you could just get some friends, and hence a gym buddy.

Canditos video is good, seconded

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by redleader1
Why not ? So how are you supposed to do it ?

Your forearm should be vertical and in line with the shoulder at the top and your forearm should be vertical at the bottom. This means that there is some degree of forward-backward motion (i.e. from head towards the toes.) The degree to which this occurs is dependent on a number of factors including your technique and your bone structure.

Original post by Zürich
Dumbbells>

It depends: you're swapping dangers here. You are less likely to dump the bar on your neck with DB but you can mess your rotator cuff putting the DB down. Some people also have rather nasty accidents with their fingers when they get caught. The other potential problem is when people do the Branch Warren and throw their DBs around after they are finished.

For the BB bench press there is the risk of dropping the bar on yourself (especially with a false/suicide grip) but less risk of the (acute) rotator cuff injury discussed above. The safety rails on a power rack/some competition style benches gets rid of this issue. A spotter will not generally be able to save you if you suffer from the slip/other acute accident type issue. It's not a high probability but it does happen. The bench is one of the few exercises in the gym that does kill people every year.

It could also solve the spotter issue of taking the bar out of you are fortunate enough to have access to the Sorinex auto-spot bench. Taking the bar out by yourself isn't too bad in general if again you are fortunate enough to have access to an IPF spec bench like that by Sportskraft or Forza. Alternately a Westside style J hook is available on some racks like the Rogue or EliteFTS ones.
(edited 8 years ago)
Don't put collars on the bar. If you get pinned, tip the bar one way and let the weights slide off, and then the other side. If there's someone around while you're doing this, why were you lifting without a spot anyway?

As for hurting your shoulders with dumbbells, don't use them for low rep work and learn how to stand back up rather than dropping them to your sides.
(edited 8 years ago)
How to fail on the bench press

For dumbbells, I've always just turned my elbows in so he dummbells end up parallel to each other side-by-side and then use my legs to sit up and get them onto my knees.If I fail, then I just bring them down to my chest, turn them around, and extend my arms down to the floor.
when you're lifting 20kg total, you don't need a spotter. #toohenchforspotter :wink:
On a serious note though, I came back to training after a very long absence and so do not (read cannot) lift heavy enough to warrant a spotter :'(
Reply 26
I sit alone on benches - if that counts?
Dumbbell master race checking in
Bench on my own all the time working on dat 140kg paused no hand off. Just don't go till failure. Problem solved.
Original post by Illidan_Stormrage
Bench on my own all the time working on dat 140kg paused no hand off. Just don't go till failure. Problem solved.

Have you gained mass doing that ? I mean i'll have 60kg all together which is heavy for but if I dont go till failure ill only do like 6/7 reps which I doubt will do much ??

Or do you drop set or something
I always bench without a spotter and my last set is as many reps as possible.

Just don't be a retard.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by RollerBall
I always bench without a spotter and my last set is as many reps as possible.

Just don't be a retard.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You probably lift light. What if you want to bulk and lift to failure......
Have you gained mass doing that ? I mean i'll have 60kg all together which is heavy for but if I dont go till failure ill only do like 6/7 reps which I doubt will do much ??

Or do you drop set or something

Yeah. Been getting closer and closer to my goal. There is no way I'm gonna achieve this bench without putting on size. If you're doing this drug free then after the initial neural gains you make from doing a new exercise you have to put on muscle mass if you want to keep on getting stronger. Ideal of reps per set is individual. It will also differ across muscles. In terms of how much something will do you need to look at the overall amount of work done rather than just the reps.

I'm about as far from an expert on muscle building as you can get but I don't think you need to train to failure to get swole? I know I've read somewhere that it's actually counterproductive but idk if that's bull

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Hype en Ecosse
How to fail on the bench press
For dumbbells, I've always just turned my elbows in so he dummbells end up parallel to each other side-by-side and then use my legs to sit up and get them onto my knees.If I fail, then I just bring them down to my chest, turn them around, and extend my arms down to the floor.

This. Turn elbows in, lower dumbbells to chest/stomach, lift thighs up and sit up. That way I end up sitting up with the dumbbells on my legs/knees. That's always the way I've done it even with very heavy DBs.

Original post by Illidan_Stormrage

I agree even when I used to BB bench I would almost never go to absolute failure. Somebody working on standard routine busting out 3x5 or 5x5 should be able to do all their reps alone tbh.

Having said all that, OP,
If ever you ever did really want to push yourself, and you didn't know anybody in the gym to ask, just ask a member of staff.
Original post by Implication
I'm about as far from an expert on muscle building as you can get but I don't think you need to train to failure to get swole? I know I've read somewhere that it's actually counterproductive but idk if that's bull

Posted from TSR Mobile

Cool any tips on best way to bulk ?? I usually train 8-10 reps of 3 sets heavy. But I was thinking if I stepped it up to like 5 sets would this be ok. I mean the best way is to keep your body guessing.....

Lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Did I say something lol
Original post by e aí rapaz
This. Turn elbows in, lower dumbbells to chest/stomach, lift thighs up and sit up. That way I end up sitting up with the dumbbells on my legs/knees. That's always the way I've done it even with very heavy DBs.

I agree even when I used to BB bench I would almost never go to absolute failure. Somebody working on standard routine busting out 3x5 or 5x5 should be able to do all their reps alone tbh.

Having said all that, OP,
If ever you ever did really want to push yourself, and you didn't know anybody in the gym to ask, just ask a member of staff.

5x5 rep scheme on bench - I could probably just roll it off me no problem, but I'd rather just ask for a spot.

Quick Reply

Latest