The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ness'B
Biblically speaking, God made all things
I agree, but that depends on your interpretation of the bible. I believe that God caused the Big Bang and the resulting events occurred which may have eventually caused the evolution of an organism into a chicken or a mutation within an egg that produced a chicken. Or what if god created an egg which hatched into a chicken?
Original post by Mathlover123
No debate its the egg, you make it sound like the chicken mutated into something else after it came out the egg. It was a chicken as soon as the egg was laid, however what came first the chicken or the chickens egg is a bit of a trick question as by definition it has to be the chicken.

This is a basic misunderstanding of evolution which supposes that there was a first chicken or first egg. There was not; just as there was no first human. There was never a non-human who gave birth to a human.
Original post by callum_law
This is a basic misunderstanding of evolution which supposes that there was a first chicken or first egg. There was not; just as there was no first human. There was never a non-human who gave birth to a human.
Why?
Original post by 04MR17
Why?

Evolution is too slow. It only happens gradually.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4ClZROoyNM
(edited 8 years ago)
Evolution is too slow. It only happens gradually. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5yuCGpKmLk
So which do you think came first, the first chicken (as we know it) or the first egg that produced a chicken (as we know it)?
Original post by 04MR17
So which do you think came first, the first chicken (as we know it) or the first egg that produced a chicken (as we know it)?

Neither.

Disagree at some point it becomes something that we would call a chicken and on that basis yeah it is hard to say which is first, however genetically there is a change over point. Thing is though evolution is very very slow it isn't infinitesimally slow, what makes it slow is the time it takes for the correct mutations to come about such that it is passed on. While what came first doesn't really have a definitive answer there was still a first chicken and a first egg.
Reply 27
http://youtu.be/1a8pI65emDE

Should clear things up :bban:
Reply 28
Eggs are older than chickens.
Reply 29
Original post by 04MR17
I agree, but that depends on your interpretation of the bible. I believe that God caused the Big Bang and the resulting events occurred which may have eventually caused the evolution of an organism into a chicken or a mutation within an egg that produced a chicken. Or what if god created an egg which hatched into a chicken?

LOL, this is too much, bye.
egg. reckon it was laid by another animal and evolved into a chicken :innocent:
Disagree at some point it becomes something that we would call a chicken and on that basis yeah it is hard to say which is first, however genetically there is a change over point. Thing is though evolution is very very slow it isn't infinitesimally slow, what makes it slow is the time it takes for the correct mutations to come about such that it is passed on. While what came first doesn't really have a definitive answer there was still a first chicken and a first egg.

You can disagree, but it's because you don't understand evolution and its rate of progression. As Dawkins said, an animal always gives birth to an animal of the same species.
God.
You can disagree, but it's because you don't understand evolution and its rate of progression. As Dawkins said, an animal always gives birth to an animal of the same species.

First of all find me a source for that quote, even if it was infinitesimally slow if we could literally look at every chicken ever born and compare to a chicken now at some point we would say what we have cannot be called a chicken any more the one after that is the first chicken. Something being slow doesn't prevent it being analysed.

I get the feeling the whole reason you used that quote is because you think I am saying that one day a dinosaur gave birth to a chicken. I understand that no animal gives birth to an animal of a different species, that doesn't mean that something we wouldn't call a chicken could give birth to something we could call a chicken. Even if its not technically the first chicken at some point something that looks more like a chicken than what it was before will come about, maybe the last bit of a pigment goes or something like that.

Also regarding the quote mule is a different species to donkey.
(edited 8 years ago)
First of all find me a source for that quote, even if it was infinitesimally slow if we could literally look at every chicken ever born and compare to a chicken now at some point we would say what we have cannot be called a chicken any more the one after that is the first chicken. Something being slow doesn't prevent it being analysed.

I get the feeling the whole reason you used that quote is because you think I am saying that one day a dinosaur gave birth to a chicken. I understand that no animal gives birth to an animal of a different species, that doesn't mean that something we wouldn't call a chicken could give birth to something we could call a chicken. Even if its not technically the first chicken at some point something that looks more like a chicken than what it was before will come about, maybe the last bit of a pigment goes or something like that.

Also regarding the quote mule is a different species to donkey.

I got the quote from this vid. It has nothing to do with suspecting you think a frog gave birth to a chicken ovum. I am well aware what you think that a near-chicken give birth to a chicken. But it doesn't work like that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4ClZROoyNM
(edited 8 years ago)
Neither.
The two events occurred at the same time? Or are you denying the existence of both things?
Original post by thecatwithnohat
Egg. Reckon it was laid by another animal and evolved into a chicken :innocent:
At last, a proper answer! Why? Reasons...
Original post by Little Toy Gun
God.
Yes that's right out of chicken or egg you chose: God. Incorrect answer
Original post by 04MR17
Yes that's right out of chicken or egg you chose: God. Incorrect answer

What if god were a chicken?
Original post by 04MR17
At last, a proper answer! Why? Reasons...

There must have been a species that resembled chickens and laid eggs. Like humans, the have gone through a series of phases i.e. killing off the ones that don't breed well, couldn't survive in whatever conditions they were in etc. and then BAM..the final result is a chicken.

All of what I'm saying is my view, idk if other's think this also :lol:
I think the answer is that a circle has no beginning :smile:
Egg came first. The thing that laid the egg wouldn't have been a chicken. The offspring inside the egg would have had a mutation that made it into the chicken we know today.

Latest

Trending

Trending