The Student Room Group

Welcome Day

I will be starting at my local college full time in September and the course tutor has sent me an invite to a welcome day this coming friday. It says its a chance to meet others on my course and find out about student life they are doing a bbque and it will have live music. Just wondering if anyone else in here has been to one of these or is it more for the school leavers than mature students? "I'm 29" just don't want to turn up and find its only the youngsters that have bothered to go.
You're a student now - don't turn down free food!

If you find it's all 16-year-olds, and you feel awkward, you can just slip away.
Reply 2
I have yet to receive my letter however I was told it was just going to be those on the Access courses. They basically want to ensure everyone is on the correct course/pathway, sorting out the modules and meeting the other learners in the class.
It sounds a lot more fun & informal at your college welcome day but I assume you'll be introduced to your class groups aswell
Mine is not until 15th July so will look forward to hearing how yours goes :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Will make sure I report back :smile: i'm sure it will be fine, looking forward to starting just a bit nervous having been out of education for so long and don't want to be the only mature student. When I attended an open day last year they said they currently had a 36 year old on the course I'm wanting to do so I think it does attract older students.
Reply 4
Don't know why I was worried it all went really well, everyone on the course seemed nice and I wasn't the oldest one as there's one woman who is 31. Got talking to most people and found a few that I got on with well one of which was the other mature student, learned some valuable things which will be helpful to know for when I have my induction and enrol. Now just need to concentrate on trying to secure a work placement although I don't think this will be properly in place till I start and filling in the financial forms which i'm not looking forward to as the woman I had to get them off was just awful to me.
Reply 5
That's good !

Was it just a chance to meet your fellow students or did you find out useful info on modules, class schedules etc ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by Bbashy
That's good !

Was it just a chance to meet your fellow students or did you find out useful info on modules, class schedules etc ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

We did find out information on the course as well as meeting the other students. Basically just let us know it will be hard work but also very rewarding. The level 2 and 3 courses for the subject I am going to study are apparently the hardest most intense programmes that they offer "I'm studying animal care" guessing that's because we will have the added job of working in the rescue centre taking care of the animals as well as studying and work placement, but i am ready for the challenge as this is all I have ever wanted to do. I was over the moon when I was offered a place at the interview as I never thought I'd get one due to it being so popular they can pretty much pick and choose who they want to take.

Quick Reply