The Student Room Group

RAF Airman to Commissioned Officer.

Hi there,

I'm currently partway through my application for the RAF, having successfully completed my medical.
I've applied to be a medic as helping people and working with/on the human anatomy has been a huge fascination of mine.

I previously wanted to join as an to MO (Medical officer) to but unfortunately didn't have the degree; hence my decision to apply for the next best and work my way up.

before you read on, I'm under no illusions how hard you have to work to become an MO.

During my RAF interview; I stated that I'm a determined individual who is willing to work hard to excel in every aspect of my career (etc etc..)
Having stated I wished to progress to possibly MSO and further to MO on my application; I was advised to look into commissioned officer training whilst receiving my feedback on the interview.

I must admit that I'm somewhat naïve as to what this entails or how the process even works?

Does this mean I can then go through my degree to become a MSO or even MO? (even though its in the area of trade; isn't that a trade change?)

Don't get me wrong. I'm not having my heart set on this. I just want to help people. My previous experience is well suited to becoming a MO in rehabilitation and more, however the thought of saving someone's life brings a huge thrill to me (in a weird way considering the circumstances everyone would be under).

Hope I can receive some advise on this as it was recommended to me; tried to find info on the web but I couldn't find anything note worthy.

regards

Carl Spiller
It's not a natural progression in any of the Forces. There isn't really a way you could be in the RAF, working as a medic and studying to be a doctor. It just doesn't work like that so I can't see any way possible for you to 'work your way up' to doctor.
I did think as much.

I'm confused as to what he meant then.
The only other thing linked with rehabilitation is physiotherapy?

Maybethat's what he was getting at; I likely misinterpreted.
Original post by carlspiller3
I did think as much.

Or nursing. (I don't think there are military occupational therapists but I could be wrong).

There's scope to go into other roles from being a medic, such as going on to train as a nurse, physio, ODP and so on.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 4
I did think as much.

Putting it bluntly, and I'm not saying this is definitely the case, the chances are the guy in question doesn't actually know the ins and outs of this particular branch - odds are he's not in any way a medic himself.

The "go look at what you'd need to do to become an officer" is a pretty standard line, so he might've just said it to say something.

But as you say, minimum requirements are a degree, that's not an easy hurdle to overcome.

You might be better off talking to the trade directly, I'm sure there'll be an RAF medical recruitment team online somewhere.
Hi there,

I'm currently partway through my application for the RAF, having successfully completed my medical.
I've applied to be a medic as helping people and working with/on the human anatomy has been a huge fascination of mine.

I previously wanted to join as an to MO (Medical officer) to but unfortunately didn't have the degree; hence my decision to apply for the next best and work my way up.

before you read on, I'm under no illusions how hard you have to work to become an MO.

During my RAF interview; I stated that I'm a determined individual who is willing to work hard to excel in every aspect of my career (etc etc..)
Having stated I wished to progress to possibly MSO and further to MO on my application; I was advised to look into commissioned officer training whilst receiving my feedback on the interview.

I must admit that I'm somewhat naïve as to what this entails or how the process even works?

Does this mean I can then go through my degree to become a MSO or even MO? (even though its in the area of trade; isn't that a trade change?)

Don't get me wrong. I'm not having my heart set on this. I just want to help people. My previous experience is well suited to becoming a MO in rehabilitation and more, however the thought of saving someone's life brings a huge thrill to me (in a weird way considering the circumstances everyone would be under).

Hope I can receive some advise on this as it was recommended to me; tried to find info on the web but I couldn't find anything note worthy.

regards

Carl Spiller

If you want to progress to MSO, you don't need a degree, it's not very medical though, they're loggies and pers officers for the medical branch, if that makes sense.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by moonkatt
Or nursing.

There's scope to go into other roles from being a medic, such as going on to train as a nurse, physio, ODP and so on.

That's quite interesting. Will look into this further.

It's not something I will rush into anyway as I still need to actually get in.
Will concentrate on doing the job in hand.

Hoping it doesn't come across as me being unsatisfied with being a medic. I can't wait to start the career path.
However I'm not one to just plateau. Want to progress as much as I can.
Original post by Drewski
Putting it bluntly, and I'm not saying this is definitely the case, the chances are the guy in question doesn't actually know the ins and outs of this particular branch - odds are he's not in any way a medic himself.

The "go look at what you'd need to do to become an officer" is a pretty standard line, so he might've just said it to say something.

But as you say, minimum requirements are a degree, that's not an easy hurdle to overcome.

You might be better off talking to the trade directly, I'm sure there'll be an RAF medical recruitment team online somewhere.

I'll see what I can find. Thanks pal
That's quite interesting. Will look into this further.

It's not something I will rush into anyway as I still need to actually get in.
Will concentrate on doing the job in hand.

Hoping it doesn't come across as me being unsatisfied with being a medic. I can't wait to start the career path.
However I'm not one to just plateau. Want to progress as much as I can.

Research the roles that interest you, being an officer isn't the be all and end all, you can still have quite a satisfying career in the military without a commission. Though if you look at the healthcare professional roles I mentioned in my last post there is scope to progress to a commission with those.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by teasin_tina
If you want to progress to MSO, you don't need a degree, it's not very medical though, they're loggies and pers officers for the medical branch, if that makes sense.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I hear you. I'm not one to not get involved so not being medical based might not be for me.

Apologies for my lack of knowledge on this subject!
Original post by moonkatt
Research the roles that interest you, being an officer isn't the be all and end all, you can still have quite a satisfying career in the military without a commission.

I'll look into it more.

Thanks moonkatt
I've looked into it and physiotherapy is what is screaming at me right now.

Has anyone ever worked through from medic to physiotherapist on here that maybe able to put their 2 pennies worth in, or understand the pathway to it?

I'm not expecting all to be plane sailing and easy to achieve.. however if there is a route down this way; I'd like to work towards it!
Going back to the OP, I know 2 people who have trained as doctors while serving. One was already a RLC officer (army) and the other a Medical Assistant (navy) who passed officer selection before med school. Both are exceptionally bright with several years' experience behind them. I have no idea how many places are available each year, so while it's not a natural career progression it may be possible. Have you considered joining up during/after med school?
Original post by Duncan2012
Going back to the OP, I know 2 people who have trained as doctors while serving. One was already a RLC officer (army) and the other a Medical Assistant (navy) who passed officer selection before med school. Both are exceptionally bright with several years' experience behind them. I have no idea how many places are available each year, so while it's not a natural career progression it may be possible. Have you considered joining up during/after med school?

That's interesting.

I have considered it in the past but I truly have my heart set on joining now.
I know I want to have a career which spans past the 12 year service (providing I can).

The long term goal was to achieve a PhD in Rehabilitation Science or something along those lines.
Looking into Physiotherapy; going through my honours and the Msc will be a route towards that!
I not necessarily expecting this all to happen over night.. nor am I expecting the RAF to just say "sure, here's 100k. study your heart out" (Although I wouldn't turn down the help.

I'm so passionate about this because I truly believe I have something to offer the RAF in this field.

rehabilitation; getting people back to functioning properly and seeing the major effect I can have on peoples lives... its incredible!!

Thinking about it more deeply. physiotherapy might be the route for me.

I guess a contributing factor will be my age too. I'm 23. I wouldn't really get to fully serve for the RAF until I'm at least 30!
That's interesting.

I have considered it in the past but I truly have my heart set on joining now.
I know I want to have a career which spans past the 12 year service (providing I can).

The long term goal was to achieve a PhD in Rehabilitation Science or something along those lines.
Looking into Physiotherapy; going through my honours and the Msc will be a route towards that!
I not necessarily expecting this all to happen over night.. nor am I expecting the RAF to just say "sure, here's 100k. study your heart out" (Although I wouldn't turn down the help.

I'm so passionate about this because I truly believe I have something to offer the RAF in this field.

rehabilitation; getting people back to functioning properly and seeing the major effect I can have on peoples lives... its incredible!!

Thinking about it more deeply. physiotherapy might be the route for me.

I guess a contributing factor will be my age too. I'm 23. I wouldn't really get to fully serve for the RAF until I'm at least 30!

Why RAF rather than NHS?
Original post by Duncan2012
Why RAF rather than NHS?

For the same reason everyone joins the RAF.
To build a career.
To see the world.
To experience the feeling of brotherhood.
To Serve the UK and be proud to make a difference.
etc

Also feel the care and attention to education/welfare is greater in the RAF than the NHS
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 16
Carl,

You present yourself as an excellent candidate for RAF service. I wish you well.
Original post by Kop1
Carl,

You present yourself as an excellent candidate for RAF service. I wish you well.

Thank you kop. Means a lot
I've looked into it and physiotherapy is what is screaming at me right now.

Has anyone ever worked through from medic to physiotherapist on here that maybe able to put their 2 pennies worth in, or understand the pathway to it?

I'm not expecting all to be plane sailing and easy to achieve.. however if there is a route down this way; I'd like to work towards it!

We have remedial PTIs in the RAF, as far as I am aware they deal with the physio side of things, but I could be wrong.

One option you may have as a medic is to train as a fully fledged paramedic. You go to university, train with civvie paramedics, the lot. Not easy to get into but definitely possible - I know one bloke who went down this route.
This post hasn't been commented on for 3 weeks however I am currently serving as a medic in the RAF, so I'll give you all the details you require:

A Medical Officer (MO)
This is a military doctor, you cannot so this job without being a doctor! There is no scheme through the military to put you through university to gain the qualifications needed or anything like that. So if your desire is to join as an MO, there is no point in joining as a medic first, you are just wasting time. You will need to go to medical school and then join once qualified.

Medical Support Officer (MSO)
This branch is split into two different jobs: MSO Physiotherapist and regular MSO. The Physio is the same story as above, the RAF will not train you to do this job, you must gain your qualifications before joining. The other type of MSO is not a clinical role, you will only deal with administration and logistics, therefore you do not require any healthcare qualifications for this.

RAF Medic
This is an airman role, the only progression from this trade is to Paramedic. Each year the RAF will pay for a small number of medics to complete the qualifications required for them to become a paramedic, which is done through competitive selection.

From reading why you want to join as an RAF Medic I would recommend that you join as an RAF Student Nurse. This role is much more clinically involved and the RAF will pay for your qualifications. This might be an option you have not looked at.

If you would like any more information don't hesitate to ask.

Quick Reply

Latest