The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Wow Biology is so fascinating, Im learning about how Plant makes food through photosynthesis, and how it uses them up during respiration. I love it so much in fact I don't mind remembering 200 pages for the exam /sarcasm.

Chem I find it hard.
I like physics, but no science is the best, and how do you define best?
But at the end of day, no science would exist without physics, so I think it is fundamental to have physics, without biology won't really affect physics as no one ****ing cares how an insect is adapted to live in fresh water =\.

Got nothing against chemist, just jealous that they can understand that subject and I can't.
Reply 81
chemistry floats my boat. Not too many numbers and not too much reading, like biology.
Reply 82
Classic, Theodore.
Being as dull as you certainly isn't a skill to be proud of either...

Come back when you're not in high school.
Reply 83
bikerx23
Come back when you're not in high school.

As scathing and upsetting as that comeback is, I'm not in High School.
You're bright as well as interesting.
Reply 84
Physics is the best as it's the most fundamental (and most interesting). Chemistry is built up from physics, and in turn biology is built up from chemistry. I guess you could argue that physics is built up from maths and therefore maths is the most fundamental and 'the best' subject, however i believe maths is more of a 'physicists tool', rather than the very foundations of physics.
My physics teacher claims that calling Bilogy a science is an insult to Physics, Maths and Chemistry. It should be labelled an art.
Acomodo
Physics is the best as it's the most fundamental (and most interesting). Chemistry is built up from physics, and in turn biology is built up from chemistry. I guess you could argue that physics is built up from maths and therefore maths is the most fundamental and 'the best' subject, however i believe maths is more of a 'physicists tool', rather than the very foundations of physics.

Well that is wrong, like I said before, it seems that our new generation of scientists need a history lesson, and also to appreciate the limits of physics and how chemistry and biology don't need to 'wait' for physics before they can progress.

My physics teacher claims that calling Bilogy a science is an insult to Physics, Maths and Chemistry. It should be labelled an art.

Your physics teacher is an ignorant arse then.
Reply 86
ChemistBoy
Your physics teacher is an ignorant arse then.

But, bar determining the cellular structure, identifying the form of diseases, discovering penicillin, pioneering medical procedures and understanding flora and fauna, what has biology done for us?
bikerx23
But, bar determining the cellular structure, identifying the form of diseases, discovering penicillin, pioneering medical procedures and understanding flora and fauna, what has biology done for us?

:biggrin:
Oh yeah. Its all about CHEMISTRYY
Reply 89
I used to like Chem a lot. At College my Chem teachers would jokingly describe Biology as the subject where you colour in diagrams.
Reply 90
"learning" biology is like memorising a dictionary.
Voting chemistry.

Biology is interesting (well, human biology at least), but I once heard it aptly described as the "science of long words." I find it to be lacking in a quantitative structure. Physics, as well, is equally interesting, but it seems to me all the interesting stuff is studied at university level. I prefer the cosmology and nuclear/particle physics aspect, rather than the "calculate the kinetic energy of this double decker bus" aspect found on exam papers.
Abra
You should like particle Physics because it nicely compliments Chemistry.

Only if you was good at Maths.... you'd probably be at Uni studying Physics or something related!! :smile:

If only you were good at English :wink:
Biology all the way!
It amazes me how ignorant and arrogant some people (and I have to say it, mainly physicists) are. I have this talk a lot with many of my friends, and the same patterns emerge. The chemists and biologists like usually like their subjects, and appriciate how important they each are, and then those who study physics beef themselves up as the Be All and End All of All Existence. Yeah, physics is important, but blindly rampaging forward spouting that without physics we wouldn't have toasters, the cotton gin, elbows, turnips and black holes doesn't make you any friends, especially if the listeners do science.

Maths is not a science, it's a maths. Just as you wouldn't call Relgious Studies a science, it uses similar things that are universal to all subjects and aspects of life to come to different, or similar, conclusions. I personally like to place Physics and RS into the same boat (not just because it annoys physicists), as I can see a fair few similarities. The majority of followers accept what happens in the universe because they are told to by those higher up than them. Do black holes/God exists? Yes, because a scientist/priest told me they/he does. Physics is theory, or maths. So it's another RS lesson, or a maths lesson.

Chemistry uses real life elements with certain properties to accomplish tasks nad understand things, Biology utilizes life processes to improve life for everyone and everything. Physics lets us know how long a pendulum will swing before it stops.

PS, I like Biology the best, hence the name. It's a musical enzyme!
Mad5am
I used to like Chem a lot. At College my Chem teachers would jokingly describe Biology as the subject where you colour in diagrams.

That was quite accurate for my GCSE course. :biggrin:

I voted Physics but I don't start the AS-level (and chemistry AS as well) til September so I don't know how worthy I am of judging it!
Reply 95
It's curious how many physicists throw about the notion that physics is the 'best' science because it's the most fundamental. Erm, sorry, no. That's not a logical progression. One of you needs to take a break from ruling the world and actually establish a reason why fundamentality makes physics a 'better' science. Lots of significant breakthroughs have come from chemistry and biology. If fundamentality is what makes a science great, are these breakthroughs somehow inferior for not being achieved on the same plane as physics?

It's a fascinating science, of course, and its applications are widespread, but I feel perfectly justified in saying that physics alone would not have gotten us where we are today. It simply does not encompass all we need to know, and ultimately couldn't anyway. We have to depart from a fundamental level of understanding in order to understand aspects of the natural world that are, well, not fundamental. Humans, for example, are incredibly complex organisms, that are best understood through the channels of biology and, to a lesser extent, chemistry.

Establishing which is the 'better' science is completely futile anyway. Not least because there simply isn't one. There are sciences that people find interesting, that people find dull, that people perceive as 'easy' or 'hard' and that are more or less maths-based. But none of the above criteria are suitable for selecting one science as 'better' than the others, either because they are too subjective (one person's easy science is another person's hard science) or because they are completely arbitrary (since when has maths been an indicator of whether something is scientific or not? I thought science was determined by how empiricial/objective its evidence is).

Furthermore, such discussions have no ultimate goal, other than to indulge some people's superiority complexes. I'm interested as to why the OP started the thread; what he or she expected to gain from the responses garnered?
One of my life's greatest regrets was taking biology...and enjoying it.

Chem is good and useful, but the hardest of any subject i've taken. Physics is much easier and a hell lot more interesting.
Reply 97
Pointless argument. It's like asking which sport is the best. Or which colour is the best.

Each science has their own good and bad. Each science is good at explaining various phenomena, be it atoms, chemical reactions, or living cells.
Reply 98
Physics I find fascinating as it deals with the bigger picture - not that chemistry can't do that, but it's a more focused field imo. I'm biased though because I always found chemistry hard. :P
Reply 99
i really enjoyed chemistry. i couldnt stand biology, which is odd as i always thought i'd enjoy that more. i never did physics (i did m1/m2 in maths, does that count?) but what i've done i enjoyed. but from personal experience, chemistry!

Latest

Trending

Trending