The Student Room Group

medicine work experience cover letter

Hello, I was wondering if anyone could spare the time to read my cover letter for a work experience application. I already have been offered the place by a doctor I know, but he said he still requires a CV and cover letter just in case to pass around to other doctors.

I don't think it's long enough or flows very well, so any help is greatly appreciated!
Thank you :smile:

Spoiler

Sounds good :smile: I'd perhaps try to be more flexible, though. 17-19th is a really narrow range and you specifically mention dermatology. Is this placement in a surgery specifically focusing on dermatology? If not, try to make it more general.
Reply 2
Be specific, tell them what you want. Applied for mine last year and the doctor that I was with gave me a proper telling off for my lack of confidence in letter writing.

My recommendations;

- Remove any other time of your convenience and be specific about what you want. (Isn't two days too little? How are you suppose to gain an insight into medicine in two days - at least a week!)
- In the second paragraph, why derma? If you want to go into derma then specify why, if not then the significance of including dermatology in that sentence is invalid.

Sound good overall.
Reply 3
Original post by Going_To_California
Sounds good :smile: I'd perhaps try to be more flexible, though. 17-19th is a really narrow range and you specifically mention dermatology. Is this placement in a surgery specifically focusing on dermatology? If not, try to make it more general.

That was the date agreed on by the doctor I will be working with, I will be staying over at their house for the duration of the placement (they live 2 hours away). It will definitely be dermatology as he is a consultant, I tried to weave it in from the recommendation from his daughter- should I just not mention it at all?
Thanks for the help!

Original post by ZaynabAbid
Be specific, tell them what you want. Applied for mine last year and the doctor that I was with gave me a proper telling off for my lack of confidence in letter writing.

My recommendations;

- Remove any other time of your convenience and be specific about what you want. (Isn't two days too little? How are you suppose to gain an insight into medicine in two days - at least a week!)
- In the second paragraph, why derma? If you want to go into derma then specify why, if not then the significance of including dermatology in that sentence is invalid.

Sound good overall.

Okay I will remove it :smile: it's 3 days, which was agreed on with him and his daughter (I will be staying over at their house so I don't want to ask for a lot)
I don't really have an interest in dermatology that much, I have just been struggling to gain clinical experience and he is a consultant who offered me the placement in his department. Should I just omit mentioning dermatology, or should i write something else about it? (i was struggling of thinking of things to say lol)
Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Wow, Its definitely gracious of the doctor to offer you a place to stay. I think you should omit it, you still have little experience/ insight into the world that is a hospital. Maybe mention how it'll be of value to you to experience/witness the functioning of a department in a hospital! Thats always good!
Original post by yasi98
That was the date agreed on by the doctor I will be working with, I will be staying over at their house for the duration of the placement (they live 2 hours away). It will definitely be dermatology as he is a consultant, I tried to weave it in from the recommendation from his daughter- should I just not mention it at all?
Thanks for the help!
Posted from TSR Mobile

That makes more sense now! All sounds good to me :smile:
Reply 6
Wow, Its definitely gracious of the doctor to offer you a place to stay. I think you should omit it, you still have little experience/ insight into the world that is a hospital. Maybe mention how it'll be of value to you to experience/witness the functioning of a department in a hospital! Thats always good!

It definitely is- we've been family friends for over 15 years so that's why he offered :smile: okay I will do it, thank you so much! :smile:
Original post by Going_To_California
That makes more sense now! All sounds good to me :smile:

Thank you for all your help! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by yasi98
Hello, I was wondering if anyone could spare the time to read my cover letter for a work experience application. I already have been offered the place by a doctor I know, but he said he still requires a CV and cover letter just in case to pass around to other doctors.

I don't think it's long enough or flows very well, so any help is greatly appreciated!

Spoiler

Why dermatology? Does something about this particular speciality fascinate you? Does the consultant or hospital have a good reputation for it? Have you or a loved one ever had a significant experience of a skin condition and associated treatment that inspired you to want to see more?

Otherwise a very polite and accomodating letter. Well written.

GAMSAT Study in London
By the way if anyone wants to join up and study for the GAMSAT in central London on evenings or Sundays let me know!
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by DelphiDeWitt
Why dermatology? Does something about this particular speciality fascinate you? Does the consultant or hospital have a good reputation for it? Have you or a loved one ever had a significant experience of a skin condition and associated treatment that inspired you to want to see more?
Otherwise a very polite and accomodating letter. Well written.
GAMSAT Study in London
By the way if anyone wants to join up and study for the GAMSAT in central London on evenings or Sundays let me know!

I don't really have a reason for doing dermatology- I was offered the placement by a consultant who is a family friend :/ I'm not really sure what to put so I just said i chose it because i wanted awareness in one area in medicine
Reply 9
Good luck! Feel free to pm me if you need any other advice! I hope you enjoy it!
Reply 10
Good luck! Feel free to pm me if you need any other advice! I hope you enjoy it!

Thank you so much! I have pretty much taken all your advice on board so thanks again :smile:
Original post by yasi98

Spoiler

Good letter. If your placement is already confirmed by the aforementioned consultant, this letter is simply a departmental formality - don't spend hours stressing over it.
Original post by yasi98
I don't really have a reason for doing dermatology- I was offered the placement by a consultant who is a family friend :/ I'm not really sure what to put so I just said i chose it because i wanted awareness in one area in medicine

The trick to applications is to fabricate convincing and insightful-sounding reasons for wanting to do something if you don't actually have any. The more original and genuine the better, of course.

Quick Reply

Latest