The Student Room Group
Studying at Cardiff University
Cardiff University
Visit website

Just finished my first year in Cardiff AMA

I'm a bit bored over the summer!
I just finished my first year in Cardiff uni music, feel free to ask me anything, course related, halls related, what the city is like, nightlife etc!

Had a great first year can't believe it's over already, so if you're thinking of studying at Cardiff ask me anything! :smile:
which halls did you stay in?
Studying at Cardiff University
Cardiff University
Visit website
Original post by Chrysippus
which halls did you stay in?

I was in Cartwright Court flats, shared with 6 others (including me), had a half ensuite room with a bath and much bigger than pretty much all of Talybont bedrooms!
Hello! I'm starting music this year and I'm going to be in Cartwright Court! I'm going to be on the ground floor and I'm a little concerned that it's going to be noisier than the other floors... Also, is it a little bit of a walk from the music department?
Original post by multifarious
Hello! I'm starting music this year and I'm going to be in Cartwright Court! I'm going to be on the ground floor and I'm a little concerned that it's going to be noisier than the other floors... Also, is it a little bit of a walk from the music department?

Wow. This literally sounds like it could've been written by me! What instrument do you play? Don't worry about the walk, it's about 15-20 minutes walk, roughly the same as Talybont. By a month in you'll have found the shortcuts that'll take you to uni quicker. (Hint, you want to cross crwys road and go down the stairs onto Harriet Street, its the quickest route to uni, you'll figure out what I mean eventually).

Don't worry about the noise. Cartwright wasn't massively quiet but not as loud as Talybont. We were the party flat last year. CC is quite sound proofed so you shouldn't hear too much above you. Although if you're in the kitchen you might hear chairs scraping above you, but otherwise it shouldn't be too bad!

Word of caution though. Make sure all of your windows are closed and your laptop etc. insured. Unfortunately in freshers CC was targeted by burglars breaking in through open windows on the ground floor. Because of this, security increased at night around the halls, and as long as you close the windows you should be fine, not trying to scare you, but it is something you should spend some time to think about.

Hope that helped. You're going to love it!
My main instrument is piano, but also voice and saxophone which makes ensembles easier to join! What do you play?

I'll keep an eye out for the steps, I don't have a great memory for directions though so it might take me a while to remember where I'm supposed to be going. I'm sure I'll figure it out eventually.

I haven't thought about theft... I live in a village at the moment so crime isn't exactly a common occurrence. Thanks for the heads up!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending