The Student Room Group

Where can I get tested for Asperger's?

Hi all,

For the past 3 years I've had my doubts that I have some sort of Autism spectrum disorder. This is mainly due to the fact that my whole reputation was the person who couldn't deal with social situations. I used to get into a lot of troubles with my friends because I never understood how they felt or finded it hard to understand what they were feeling and thinking and how to deal with these problems.

I never batted an eye after that as I dismissed it. But again the situation has arisen through college. People are shocked to find that I'm academically smart but have very little common sense (I'm always getting told this!). I've struggled a lot through college as obviously there are more responsibillities expected to be dealt personally and I just don't know how deal with these responsibilities. I'm getting scared now because I'm becoming more struggled with daily life and dealing with people. My best friend has a brother who has Asperger's and only last week it came that she always assumed I had Asperger's as I was very much like her brother. It even shocked her that I wasn't diagnosed with it

I am also in my first serious relationship and problems have arisen because I don't understand how my other half feels and what to do in when this happens. For example, she has told me a very serious problem that she has and I've just ignored for the past month. We had a very big argument today because she was angry and felt like I didn't care as I never asked or supported her. I can't for the life of me understand why i didn't respond to this or even acknowledge I just dont get it. It's becoming really hard to explain myself because I don't know myself. I just don't know what to do and I feel as if I really need to get myself tested because it's becoming very apparant that there is something mentally wrong with me.

Thanks for listening !
You need to visit your GP. They tend to either refer you to a psychiatrist or sometimes some areas have specific centres for testing adults with Autism.

If (this is the case for some adults) for example, you're being treated for depression or a related mental health issue via community mental health, you can ask them for advice. They may not be able to diagnose you; but might be able to refer you to the appropriate people.

When I was seeking a diagnosis, I wrote down why I thought I have Autism. One of my problems is that I can't explain too well what I mean. You also need to go into the appointment with your GP with seeking the diagnosis being the only issue you're asking about.

Quick Reply

Latest