The Student Room Group

Should TSR have a Rainbow Filter?

The other day I added the rainbow filter to my Facebook profile in support of the LGBTQ community and their right to marry. This got me thinking about other websites showing their support for this recent development. I have made mine using a photo merging website, it wasn't easy, and I have changed my avatar picture to show my support.

Should TSR have a rainbow filter and would you change your avatar to reflect your support?

Scroll to see replies

Two main reasons no:

There are plenty of cis het people changing their pictures on Facebook who aren't good allies and are just doing it to act superior or because it's 'cool'.

TSR is a UK website, this is about same sex marriage in the US.
I'd love TSR to be able to do that but unfortunately it would be a reasonable size development project and we are only a small company with very limited development resource :frown: whereas somewhere like Facebook has tonnes of developers all around the world.

Perhaps people could just change their avatars to rainbow flags instead of the filter? I know it's not as good but at least it has the same effect.
yes it would be good

that or we all just for a few weeks change it to the flag
Original post by DawgEater
x

Original post by SmallTownGirl
Two main reasons no:

There are plenty of cis het people changing their pictures on Facebook who aren't good allies and are just doing it to act superior or because it's 'cool'.

TSR is a UK website, this is about same sex marriage in the US.

morons
morons everywhere

also I like how I didn't even change my picture for this it's just suddenly appropriate
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by paradoxicalme
morons
morons everywhere

also I like how I didn't even change my picture for this it's just suddenly appropriate

Seriously? I've seen people who are trans say on Facebook that their friends are putting the rainbow filter over their pictures but refuse to use the person's preferred pronouns. Being a good ally isn't about changing your picture, it's about the day to day things no-one sees. It's about not presuming gender; it's about asking 'are you in a relationship' not presuming someone is straight because they haven't told you otherwise; it's about not saying that people who are attracted to more than one gender are going to cheat, or are greedy, or need to pick a side...
morons
morons everywhere

hate to say it

but 'haters gonna hate'
The thing is - when you get an inclusivity feature such as this, you then exclude those who don't understand the reason for the rainbow tint. An example for this is on Facebook today I see a tool going around for trans people as some feel that the pride flag doesn't include their cause.

Also, the rainbow tint was specifically developed for Pride Day (Stonewall protests), this will most likely be dead and gone before the TSR devs could do it. :yy:
Original post by SmallTownGirl
Seriously? I've seen people who are trans say on Facebook that their friends are putting the rainbow filter over their pictures but refuse to use the person's preferred pronouns. Being a good ally isn't about changing your picture, it's about the day to day things no-one sees. It's about not presuming gender; it's about asking 'are you in a relationship' not presuming someone is straight because they haven't told you otherwise; it's about not saying that people who are attracted to more than one gender are going to cheat, or are greedy, or need to pick a side...

Whilst I agree that being a 'good ally' is down to more than using a rainbow filter, I also think it's a bad argument to say that we should therefore distrust the rainbow filter because some people who are using it might not be 'genuine' allies. What, do we have to screen people now as to whether they're truly LGBT-supportive before we let them use the filter? 'Moron' was facetious, I know, but it generally gets my back up when I hear people getting on about the 'cis hets' - I'm sick of the idea that just because people were born into the majority they therefore are immediately lumped in with the oppressors. Using the filter isn't supposed to be a decree that you are a completely well-informed ally, it's that you're willing to be an ally, and there's a huge difference between allies not using pronouns and things correctly due to lack of knowledge/understanding and purposely not using pronouns and things correctly just to be a dick. Also, assumptions are a fact of life. I'm bi and I still naturally tend to assume that if a guy I meet is in a relationship, it'll be with a woman, because somewhere around 90% of guys are straight. The point is that if it then turns out that they're with a guy, I won't immediately go 'This is against my assumptions and therefore is WRONG'. Assumptions are fine, it's the lack of ability to accept when they're false that is the problem.
Reply 9
Original post by agentawesome
The other day I added the rainbow filter to my Facebook profile in support of the LGBTQ community and their right to marry. This got me thinking about other websites showing their support for this recent development. I have made mine using a photo merging website, it wasn't easy, and I have changed my avatar picture to show my support.

Should TSR have a rainbow filter and would you change your avatar to reflect your support?

What does the Q mean?

In reference to the issue, I do not think that TSR should have a rainbow filter. The US has legalised gay marriage, which is a very positive thing and the world has shown a great deal of support. However, what we don't need to do is force the issue down anyone's throat on a forum which, believe it or not, exists primarily for academic discussions and for the debate of student issues, with other topics being secondary.

Changing your personal avatar is fine, but forcing others to recognise the issue constantly like the adverts on IGN would not only be inconsistent with the tone of the forum, but would be forcing others into recognising a particular issue in a highly obnoxious manner. This would hardly be in the spirit of the LGBT(Q?) agenda, promoting equal liberal freedoms for all, and which must also include tolerance of those who do not see this agenda as being as important as other might.

Take the middle way.
Original post by VannR
What does the Q mean?

In reference to the issue, I do not think that TSR should have a rainbow filter. The US has legalised gay marriage, which is a very positive thing and the world has shown a great deal of support. However, what we don't need to do is force the issue down anyone's throat on a forum which, believe it or not, exists primarily for academic discussions and for the debate of student issues, with other topics being secondary.

Changing your personal avatar is fine, but forcing others to recognise the issue constantly like the adverts on IGN would not only be inconsistent with the tone of the forum, but would be forcing others into recognising a particular issue in a highly obnoxious manner. This would hardly be in the spirit of the LGBT(Q?) agenda, promoting equal liberal freedoms for all, and which must also include tolerance of those who do not see this agenda as being as important as other might.

Take the middle way.

The Q stands for Queer or Questioning. It is for people who are unsure about what sexuality they are and can't confine themselves by any of the other groups.

And I wasn't in any way forcing anyone to do it. Like FB it would be optional.
(edited 8 years ago)
Whilst I agree that being a 'good ally' is down to more than using a rainbow filter, I also think it's a bad argument to say that we should therefore distrust the rainbow filter because some people who are using it might not be 'genuine' allies. What, do we have to screen people now as to whether they're truly LGBT-supportive before we let them use the filter? 'Moron' was facetious, I know, but it generally gets my back up when I hear people getting on about the 'cis hets' - I'm sick of the idea that just because people were born into the majority they therefore are immediately lumped in with the oppressors. Using the filter isn't supposed to be a decree that you are a completely well-informed ally, it's that you're willing to be an ally, and there's a huge difference between allies not using pronouns and things correctly due to lack of knowledge/understanding and purposely not using pronouns and things correctly just to be a dick. Also, assumptions are a fact of life. I'm bi and I still naturally tend to assume that if a guy I meet is in a relationship, it'll be with a woman, because somewhere around 90% of guys are straight. The point is that if it then turns out that they're with a guy, I won't immediately go 'This is against my assumptions and therefore is WRONG'. Assumptions are fine, it's the lack of ability to accept when they're false that is the problem.

It is not about being willing to be an ally, it's about acting like an ally. If you use the wrong pronouns after being told the correct ones for a certain person then you are not being an ally.
Oh ffs see forcing your pathetic rainbow on everyone.

No they shouldn't. Leave it alone and change it yourself
This is getting out of hand...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by bittr n swt
Oh ffs see forcing your pathetic rainbow on everyone.

No they shouldn't. Leave it alone and change it yourself

Do your eyes, as well as your morals, not work? I have changed by profile picture as mentioned in the original post.
Do your eyes, as well as your morals, not work? I have changed by profile picture as mentioned in the original post.

Don't speak to me about morals. You have no idea.

Good for you that it's changed. Now bugger off and don't let a whole website include a stupid filter
Original post by bittr n swt
Don't speak to me about morals. You have no idea.

Good for you that it's changed. Now bugger off and don't let a whole website include a stupid filter

You don't know me. You have no idea what my morals are until I post them so don't act all high and mighty. I thinks its pitiful that people like you have to use offensive language to (not) make your point..
no no no

It's a pointless passing fad that will be weeks out of date by the time it's actually implemented. If you want to do it, it isn't hard to do yourself.
You don't know me. You have no idea what my morals are until I post them so don't act all high and mighty. I thinks its pitiful that people like you have to use offensive language to (not) make your point..

You literally archetyped thousands of people who disagree with the rainbow filter as 'morons' just a few posts ago. Hypocrisy much.

EDIT: Apologies, wrong person. This can still generally be applied to die hard liberals though.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by DawgEater
yeh, we should be able to filter out anyone who changes their pic to a filter.... that way we don't need to see the opinions of a bunch of attention seeking liberals.

I'm not quite that simple. Some it's just attention seekers in general. A number of the people I know who have it are actually gay themselves which as far as I'm concerned is different to being an "attention seeking liberal". They're showing their support for a cause that is very personal to them. But yeah, I definitely agree that it's getting a little annoying. I haven't done it but a) I think it's a little tacky and b) I don't like to jump on the bandwagon. Shows no imagination.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending