The Student Room Group

Parents Divorce - Family Breakdown (URGENT)

To make the situation shorter , my family is breaking apart. By this i mean my father is leaving the family due to an affair he has had. However due to my mother being an immigrant from a long time ago and not reading or writing english at a high level we cannot take him to court or get a divorce. Not only this but my father is the prime source of money in my family as he earns around 45k-50k a year. He has cut off all subscriptions on the tv , contracts with phones etc and refuses to even talk to me my mother and my siblings. He is not even apart of this family. However with my siblings low paying job and my mothers I am worried we will not be able to provide for our selves. For example , I have been wearing the same clothes for roughly a year or 2 with a few new items from small gifts as my father randomly decided to stop buying me things. He has also planned to leave this house hold by the end of this month which is tomorrow. Please , I need solutions on how to keep my family together and off the streets or in an even worst situation. Currently I am 15 - 16 and my sibling are around the age of 24-26. My sibling still lives here as houses are expensive but now with my father decided to do this I'm afraid moving will be even tougher. Due to our ages are we no longer illegible to claim benefits. Please I know not many people will read this but please share this as it is extremely crucial and will help me greatly. Please spread the word to help in my aid of finding a solution to this problem.
Original post by Anonymous
To make the situation shorter , my family is breaking apart. By this i mean my father is leaving the family due to an affair he has had. However due to my mother being an immigrant from a long time ago and not reading or writing english at a high level we cannot take him to court or get a divorce. Not only this but my father is the prime source of money in my family as he earns around 45k-50k a year. He has cut off all subscriptions on the tv , contracts with phones etc and refuses to even talk to me my mother and my siblings. He is not even apart of this family. However with my siblings low paying job and my mothers I am worried we will not be able to provide for our selves. For example , I have been wearing the same clothes for roughly a year or 2 with a few new items from small gifts as my father randomly decided to stop buying me things. He has also planned to leave this house hold by the end of this month which is tomorrow. Please , I need solutions on how to keep my family together and off the streets or in an even worst situation. Currently I am 15 - 16 and my sibling are around the age of 24-26. My sibling still lives here as houses are expensive but now with my father decided to do this I'm afraid moving will be even tougher. Due to our ages are we no longer illegible to claim benefits. Please I know not many people will read this but please share this as it is extremely crucial and will help me greatly. Please spread the word to help in my aid of finding a solution to this problem.

I'm so sorry that you been through this... my advise, get a part time job or a temporary job during the holidays to support your family with food. Hopefully your siblings can help out as well. Stick together with one another. Move into a cheap flat for abit. And most importantly, focus on your education now, since your father is gone its your responsibility along with your siblings to help your mother get through this, you have the opportunity to provide a better life for everyone, but don't worry hopefully everything will be fine. Also, im pretty sure you guys can claim housing benefits. I hope everything will be fine :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending