The Student Room Group

Need help deciding between on-campus or off-campus

So I'm going on my year abroad to Ottawa,Canada and I'm facing a tough decision between choosing On-campus or off-campus accommodation.Technically I have never lived on campus as I lived in a student village for my first year so I dont know how strict on-camous can be. I'm currently on the waitlist for on-campus (16) been told I'm pretty much guaranteed to get an offer by mid-July. But through one of the Facebook pages I have gotten friendly with a guy from Canada who is in the same position as me only higher on the waitlist and unlikely to get an offer, he is looking to get a house and we seem to like the same things(partying,drinking and sports). Money isn't an issue and both types of accommodation are likely to be around the same cost. I was just wondering what people whom have been on a year abroad would suggest ? I feel that because I will only be there for 8 months that I would meet more people being in residence surrounded by lots of people rather than away from campus in a private house. I have always wanted to experience the American/Canadian style dorms and be at the heart of the university activities so I dont have to travel to get to lectures etc but am afraid because I will be older than the first years if I will feel a bit out of place and they find it weird that I'm older, also if the dorms are strict. So basically what I'm asking, if you have lived on or off campus on your abroad what has been your experience with those living arrangements.
Reply 1
Original post by Chrisgreenlee
So I'm going on my year abroad to Ottawa,Canada and I'm facing a tough decision between choosing On-campus or off-campus accommodation.Technically I have never lived on campus as I lived in a student village for my first year so I dont know how strict on-camous can be. I'm currently on the waitlist for on-campus (16) been told I'm pretty much guaranteed to get an offer by mid-July. But through one of the Facebook pages I have gotten friendly with a guy from Canada who is in the same position as me only higher on the waitlist and unlikely to get an offer, he is looking to get a house and we seem to like the same things(partying,drinking and sports). Money isn't an issue and both types of accommodation are likely to be around the same cost. I was just wondering what people whom have been on a year abroad would suggest ? I feel that because I will only be there for 8 months that I would meet more people being in residence surrounded by lots of people rather than away from campus in a private house. I have always wanted to experience the American/Canadian style dorms and be at the heart of the university activities so I dont have to travel to get to lectures etc but am afraid because I will be older than the first years if I will feel a bit out of place and they find it weird that I'm older, also if the dorms are strict. So basically what I'm asking, if you have lived on or off campus on your abroad what has been your experience with those living arrangements.
I've moved your thread into the 'Studying in North America' forum as you are more likely to get a response to this question here.

The truth is that, whatever someone else's experience has been, you will have to take a chance on it all. Is there no way you can find out how strict the dorm rules are - are they not published somewhere?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending