The Student Room Group

Should we stop selling holidays to Tunisia?

I was reading this article on how the foreign office think Tunisia is of no bigger terror threat than Spain or France.

http://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/two-massacres-in-three-months-so-why-does-the-foreign-office-insist-tunisia-is-no-more-dangerous-than-spain-or-the-dordogne-10352920.html

It's a thorny issue because we could stop sending tourists over on holiday, but then their tourist-reliant economy could collapse and making the country vulnerable to further attacks.

However on the flip side and probably more obvious stance, should we stop selling holidays to people in destinations that are getting quite dangerous, especially with the poor Libya/Tunisia border?

So should we be doing something about this?

Scroll to see replies

Think we should be warning people of the potential of attacks in majority terrorist attacks.
Reply 2
If we stop selling ticket and show that we are afraid, don't the terrorists win?
Reply 3
It's not the countries fault that some murderers decide to kill innocents.

A lot more innocent people would suffer if the tourist trade died off completely.
People should already know that there's chaos in the Middle East,why travel in the first place.
It is tricky

the Islamist know by attacking the tourist industry they can cause more poverty which they can then use for their own advantage (look at Egypt for example)

But the sad fact is no matter were you go you are at risk now because of these people hell you are even at risk at some major events in the UK

But I would say we should still support them and we can't just abandon them when they need us most
Reply 6
lol no
Reply 7
What the hell for? Never ever show any respect or fear towards terrorist acts. F*** these terrorist knobheads. Tunisia doesn't deserve to have us stop going there and UK people should be left alone and treated with a brain, to make their own minds up where they go on holiday. Crossing the road in central London would be more dangerous than laying on a beach at Sousse at this time. To stop selling tickets is to play Dictator (but we live in a democracy don't we). To stop going there is exactly what I.S. want. So you are suggesting to play into their hands and say 'How high?' when I.S. call 'Jump'.
What we can do is be defiant, brave and resolute against this evil ideology that produces such barbarity.
(edited 8 years ago)
Having already lost a close family friend to the Tunisian terror attacks I would never go there and I would suggest to others that it would be inadvisable.

However if people still want to go I see no reason to stop them, they are free to put themselves at risk.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Lol yeah let's just make one of the only democracies in the arab world plunge into poverty allowing their vulnruble people to be controlled ...
So long as people are aware of the risks I don't see why they shouldn't be allowed to holiday there.
Original post by GuppyFox
I was reading this article on how the foreign office think Tunisia is of no bigger terror threat than Spain or France.

http://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/two-massacres-in-three-months-so-why-does-the-foreign-office-insist-tunisia-is-no-more-dangerous-than-spain-or-the-dordogne-10352920.html

It's a thorny issue because we could stop sending tourists over on holiday, but then their tourist-reliant economy could collapse and making the country vulnerable to further attacks.

However on the flip side and probably more obvious stance, should we stop selling holidays to people in destinations that are getting quite dangerous, especially with the poor Libya/Tunisia border?

So should we be doing something about this?

Free market. I might go given I will be treated like a king by locals and it will be insanely cheap right now.
Original post by Johann von Gauss
It is their fault that their intelligence services did not stop the terrorists

tbf it's not easy to stop a guy who decides to go and shoot up a holiday resort before the fact, I mean even if they foil 49 attempts you don't hear of, the one who gets through is all you know of.

I mean right now I could buy concentrated acid from ebay, no licence required, a few 5-10ltr jugs for "cleaning industrial materials" or what ever, or just buy a load of powdered sodium hydroxide and dissolve it into a very concentrated solution, throw it in people's faces.

Or say get a needle and inject air into people

Or use the darknet and get hold of a firearm and go to town (in both senses of the phrase)

Or go take the machete on the wall (and it's damn sharp) and take a few heads off.

Point is unless the person is in established long term contact with people you're monitoring, and thus can begin to monitor them, you'll never know what they're planning until they do it. Even if you are monitoring someone who's reading extremist material online, they may only read a small amount before suddenly acting, you won't have engaged them at that point.

Anyway on-topic, no we shouldn't stop going as it means the terrorists have won and honestly two attacks still hardly makes it an incredibly dangerous area. I mean you going to tell people not to visit South/East London due to all the gang related stabbings? Hell the day after this Tunisia hotel raid many major cities here where on high alert, I was being advised not to go into Nottingham lmao, so what is the UK off limits to tourists? After all we're due an attack seeing as France has endured a couple.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Alyssa_kassar
People should already know that there's chaos in the Middle East,why travel in the first place.

You should look at a map.
No, we should not give in to terrorists.
Original post by Alyssa_kassar

You really don't know where Tunisia is, do you?
Original post by EatAndRevise

People can be so stupid. Even if you google Tunisia, you can see on the first page that it says a number of times that tunisia is a country in North Africa.

These imbeciles probably also think that Iranians are Arabs.
Original post by EatAndRevise

North Africa but I was referring to Arab speaking countries in North Africa and the Middle East. We know you like some sun to spoil yourselves every once a year but go to other parts of the world where it's actually peaceful. We have an Isis crisis at the moment
Original post by PopaPork
It is tricky

the Islamist know by attacking the tourist industry they can cause more poverty which they can then use for their own advantage (look at Egypt for example)

But the sad fact is no matter were you go you are at risk now because of these people hell you are even at risk at some major events in the UK

But I would say we should still support them and we can't just abandon them when they need us most

This, its not a just a thoguhtless, bloodlust attack, its part of a grander scheme, hitting the country in its pocket.
Original post by EmperorPowerMan
This, its not a just a thoguhtless, bloodlust attack, its part of a grander scheme, hitting the country in its pocket.

It self perpetuates

you introduce poverty then blame others because of this

I suppose the only good thing is if people want to defend their tourist industry they will not worry about an Islamist's human rights in fighting this

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending