The Student Room Group

Talking to a guy online, thinking about meeting up?

He lives only half an hour away. He seems genuine and I trust him - within reason obviously, my desperation isn't making me naive - and we want to meet up.

Unfortunately I'm very awkward and insecure, so my suggestion was to meet up at night time on a hill somewhere...I know this rings alarm bells and I'd block him if he said this to me, but honestly for the first meeting I just want to feel confident and not self-conscious and the only times that happens is in the dark away from people. He naturally wants to me in a more conventional setting.

This isn't a hook-up by the way exactly.

I'm extremely attracted to him so despite my lack of experience and confidence I'm making myself meet him, but I'm not sure when or where and we can't decide what would be appropriate, to be safe and easy but also satisfy my parameters (dark, quiet, alone, outdoors...I sound creepy tbh).

Any general tips are appreciated.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Why does this calm, controlled one get zero replies compared to the "troll" version of the exact same thing omg
Meet in a fairly desolate part of a public park in daytime? Then that's kinda safe nonetheless but still not 'public' enough to freak you out?
You really are bored
At night. On a hill. You're asking to get raped louieee
Reply 5
Original post by TorpidPhil
Meet in a fairly desolate part of a public park in daytime? Then that's kinda safe nonetheless but still not 'public' enough to freak you out?

Ah yeah I guess, thank you!

Original post by bittr n swt
You really are bored

I'm actually more excited than I've been in a very long time http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3430717
Reply 6
Original post by mmmmmmmmmmmmm
At night. On a hill. You're asking to get raped louieee

Why? It was my suggestion, he wants to meet publicly in daylight.
Reply 7
Well you should first confirm he is who he says is. You said you trust him... have you talked him through a phone before? That would be a little safer to do first. Then if you are still interested in him then meet him.And regarding the place I don't think it would be the best idea to meet him during the night for your first time... or even in a very lonely place. It may cause one of you to feel awkward. And be yourself and try to not think so much about it if you do end up being in a place with people or its not. That would just make you more nervous. Wherever it is good luck to you :smile:
Original post by louieee
Why? It was my suggestion, he wants to meet publicly in daylight.

At least take a knife with you then
"only" half an hour?
Reply 10
Original post by Soyeb
Well you should first confirm he is who he says is. You said you trust him... have you talked him through a phone before? That would be a little safer to do first. Then if you are still interested in him then meet him.And regarding the place I don't think it would be the best idea to meet him during the night for your first time... or even in a very lonely place. It may cause one of you to feel awkward. And be yourself and try to not think so much about it if you do end up being in a place with people or its not. That would just make you more nervous. Wherever it is good luck to you :smile:

Thank you! Yeah, he's confirmed his identity.

At least take a knife with you then

And what will happen when he discovers I brought a knife? He's already apprehensive himself lol if he finds a knife he's either gonna run or attack me

Original post by zippity.doodah
"only" half an hour?

Yup...half an hour really isn't far at all
Original post by louieee

relatively speaking, neither is 1000 miles, considering how many miles span the earth. what perspective are you choosing to see this from here? an english one? because in an english one, that's a fair distance away, great enough to not give it the adjective "only"
Original post by louieee
Thank you! Yeah, he's confirmed his identity.

And what will happen when he discovers I brought a knife? He's already apprehensive himself lol if he finds a knife he's either gonna run or attack me

He won't. You hide it obviously
you're crazy
Reply 14
Original post by zippity.doodah
relatively speaking, neither is 1000 miles, considering how many miles span the earth. what perspective are you choosing to see this from here? an english one? because in an english one, that's a fair distance away, great enough to not give it the adjective "only"

Half an hour is a tiny portion of the day, considering the amount of time we'd spend together the same day.

He won't. You hide it obviously

Hide it where?

Original post by peanutbuttercup
you're crazy

Okay :yy:
Not everywhere during the day will be busy. You could easily meet somewhere in a park close to you during the day and make sure you are somewhere quiet so you can talk to each other and enjoy each other's company! :smile:
Reply 16
Original post by moment of truth
Not everywhere during the day will be busy. You could easily meet somewhere in a park close to you during the day and make sure you are somewhere quiet so you can talk to each other and enjoy each other's company! :smile:

Ah yeah I guess...issue is I don't really want people I know to see us, but I'm nervous about travelling to him because buses are scary tbh
Original post by louieee
Ah yeah I guess...issue is I don't really want people I know to see us, but I'm nervous about travelling to him because buses are scary tbh

Is there anywhere you could meet where people wouldn't see you during the day? Meeting at night time could work, but it could also be seen as weird.
Do not meet a stranger off the internet on a hill at night time, that is really stupid.

There's plenty of other places you can meet at night time that aren't so secluded.
Reply 19
Original post by moment of truth
Is there anywhere you could meet where people wouldn't see you during the day? Meeting at night time could work, but it could also be seen as weird.

I'm not sure, we'll both have to think about it more I guess. thanks

Original post by Reeeeyah
Do not meet a stranger off the internet on a hill at night time, that is really stupid.

There's plenty of other places you can meet at night time that aren't so secluded.

The seclusion aspect of it is what's alluring though

Quick Reply

Latest