The Student Room Group

My biggest regret: Greenwich School of Management (GSM London)

This is a long long long rant that you should only read if you have patience like:

1. Bruce Wayne had with Rachel
2. If you have successfully listened to the constant whining of Frodo Baggins because you love LOTR so much
3. If you're Louis Litt
4. Just read if you're bored...

I was a fool. Three years ago I applied to a 'university' called a joke, also known as Greenwich School of Management (GSM London). I was a fresh little sheep who valued, loved and respected education like Clarke Kent (Kal El) valued, loved and respected Jonathan Kent. The post below explains and shows my naive approach to applying to this crappy 'educational institute'. In this post you can read and laugh at my innocence and poor judgement.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2107933

I read many many many reviews about what a horrific and traumatic 'university' this is, yet I applied - forgive me for my rant because I do blame myself. The purpose of this rant is so that it reaches Plymouth and that all the students who are suffering - almost dying - also speak up and fight for their money back. Everything was going well; my assignments were being marked, I received my timetables (they were late but I never complained because there were many people going through the same issue and I was told it was being 'resolved'), I was ill and would write a letter to hand in to student services and my lecturers to show that I am sorry but they somehow automatically ‘understood’ without me even providing a proper explanation or giving my letter.

I advised countless students that they should be patient with their problems because I am a patient person myself even though their stories seemed odd, I believed that ‘university’ had problems they were dealing with. Then it started to happen to me, the stories my peers were explaining slowly started to creep up in my education. My timetables were late, I couldn’t access my portal, I received countless calls about my fees (which were always paid on time), my transcript was not accessible, I had no more access to university computers and when I did, it logged out and all my work was lost. All these nightmares slowly piled up, yet I was patient.

The first time a problem occurred, I felt so ashamed to say that I attended this university, I posted this thread; http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2271851

Two years later...

Now, coming to the part where my patience was destroyed and the Hulk inside me was triggered and I finally started to fight for myself and I woke up. My final year assignments were not on their system, they were not on their system, and shall I repeat it again? THEY COULD NOT FIND THREE OF MY ASSIGNMENTS ON THEIR SYSTEM. THREE ASSIGNMENTS. I filled out a missing mark form and mark investigation form which was being reviewed I waited. I failed an exam for one module but passed the assignment with 70% and when I asked for the exam compensated because I am awful at the exam, I was told to fill out another form I was told it would be compensated and now I am being told to resit it as my “third attempt” like WTF??!?!?!??!?!??!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! :angry::angry::angry::frown::frown:

My three assignments which I worked extremely hard for and worked my bloody brain off for are “not on the system”. I told them about my TurnItin issues, I told them I received no receipts, I told them everything but no one spoke to me. It was like they were purposely avoiding me. Regardless of my health/financial issues, I came to university and unlike other students who are guilty of truancy, I actually travelled from long distances because I love my education. I have low self-esteem but one thing I am three million percent sure of is that I am a hard working student. I do not like using foul language but this ‘institution’ has pushed a patient person like me to a point where all I can do is cry. I am being asked to provide evidence; what evidence can I provide when you did not give my any receipts or emails for me to keep to show my submissions.

I finally got my dream job, I was over the moon, flying to Pluto and told my employers that I will give them an updated transcript and my degree certificate after I graduate this year and at the end after I hand my final assignment, complete my last exam and submit my dissertation, at the end of the bloody semester they ask me why I have not attended lectures when I was not even given a damn timetable or any notification!!! My heart is broken in to pieces. I have filled in all the forms available, every single form I filled in with detail and they are just spinning me round in circles.

My piece of treasure, my love, my symbol of hard work and passion for education also known as my dissertation which I worked my arse off for will not be accepted because I could not physically attend to hand it in because I was ill. I even asked student services if I could post my dissertation because I have training for my new job and that I have to prioritise my work and will give a note from my nurse and she said “yes I will put a note in for you, good luck” and now I am being told I won’t graduate this year and will have to tell my new employer that I do not have my degree certificate to show that I WORKED MY ARSE OFF FOR THREE YEARS. I cried today. I cried. I am a patient person, I have been through many struggles, but I never cried and today, these people squeezed the tears out of my eyes. :cry2::cry2::cry2::cry2::cry2::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

I advise everyone to not go to this ‘university’. Please do not put yourself through this; I love my education and I am willing to cross mountains for it which is I why I am fighting for this, but I would not wish this place on anyone. I truly made the wrong decision by supporting university when students complained and fought for their results and choosing them over my peers. I am crying whilst writing this, I apologise for not trusting those students who were suffering. Like these students, all I want is my work to be marked so I can show my employers and continue with my dream job. If Plymouth is reading this, please make sure that students get their justice. Wish me luck, I will be seeing them tomorrow.

Update: So, I am currently at stage two of my case and pretty much nothing has happened... I am still going through a hard time :frown: my work hasn't been marked. My employers asked me for my graduation date and I told them that I haven't got my results yet :frown: I will lose my job and graduate placement :frown: I feel so embarrassed and hurt. I had an epileptic seizure this week :frown: and I just dont know what to tell my family... All my hard work gone to waste and I wont have my dream job anymore if I don't graduate :frown:
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Possibly look here: http://www.qaa.ac.uk/concerns
You might also consider a private law claim against the university.
Original post by TheDefiniteArticle

Wow! Thank you!!!!!!!!!!
You're certainly not the only one. GSM London is an absolute crappy institute that needs to have all their funding stopped. I strongly urge you to contact the QAA and tell them every details of how your experience was a sham. Their North Korean style propaganda won't last for long. An absolute train wreck of a company!
Original post by Shimmyoyo
You're certainly not the only one. GSM London is an absolute crappy institute that needs to have all their funding stopped. I strongly urge you to contact the QAA and tell them every details of how your experience was a sham. Their North Korean style propaganda won't last for long. An absolute train wreck of a company!

I am upset. Heartbroken. I worked so hard for my degree and my assignments and now they are telling me I won't graduate. How am I supposed to show any evidence when they haven't given me anything to show? I have fallen in to depression.

I checked the website but they do not deal with issues like mine. :frown:
:frown:
Reply 7
Original post by Silver Lining
X

Wow long time no speak, but god damn that's really terrible!!! I am terribly sorry about that...remember though that there is always a light at the end of the tunnel and I hope everything goes well for you :smile:

Have you tried trying to report them somehow?
Reply 8
Original post by Plymouth University

You may want to read OP's post!
I checked the website but they do not deal with issues like mine. :frown:

Ah, no particular experience, I've just been taught to think that the steps upon receiving significantly substandard service are 1) look for a regulatory body or ombudsman; 2) sue.

I'd look for a local law firm which does short, free consultations to find out your options.
Original post by a10
Wow long time no speak, but god damn that's really terrible!!! I am terribly sorry about that...remember though that there is always a light at the end of the tunnel and I hope everything goes well for you :smile:

Have you tried trying to report them somehow?

As you can see, I have been awfully distraught and busy. 😞 how are you? Message me. How have you been?
Ah, no particular experience, I've just been taught to think that the steps upon receiving significantly substandard service are 1) look for a regulatory body or ombudsman; 2) sue.

I'd look for a local law firm which does short, free consultations to find out your options.

Thank you for your help I really appreciate it :frown:
Reply 12
As you can see, I have been awfully distraught and busy. 😞 how are you? Message me. How have you been?

I'll pm you :smile:
Hiya,

You need to speak to the OIAHE about your experience here: http://www.oiahe.org.uk/.

Obviously detail all of your issues and any evidence you have of that (i.e. emails) and also write it in an easy to navigate manner so that it can be dealt with quickly.

Thanks,

RF
Original post by Roving Fish
Hiya,

You need to speak to the OIAHE about your experience here: http://www.oiahe.org.uk/.

Obviously detail all of your issues and any evidence you have of that (i.e. emails) and also write it in an easy to navigate manner so that it can be dealt with quickly.

Thanks,

RF

What will they do? :frown:
What will they do? :frown:

They're the independent kinda ombudsman and will look into your complaint and the uni will usually follow their suggestion. :smile:
Original post by Roving Fish
They're the independent kinda ombudsman and will look into your complaint and the uni will usually follow their suggestion. :smile:

Thank you so much!! I will definitely have a look at this!
I am falling to depression. What do i do :frown: she said i will not graduate in november :'(
I don't get it. You say your at Greenwich then you say your at Plymouth? Which uni was this?
Original post by RoundTrip
I don't get it. You say your at Greenwich then you say your at Plymouth? Which uni was this?

Greenwich school of management is a private college who offers degree awarded by Plymouth

Quick Reply

Latest