The Student Room Group

Was doing/not doing a gap year a good choice in hindsight?

For those of us at uni or beyond, if you took a gap year, do you believe it was a good choice to do so? If you didn't take a gap year, do you regret this decision?

I personally didn't do a gap year and although they seem fairly interesting, I think I made the right choice as when you get into your twenties you kinda just want to get your life started. I would have hated being a year behind everyone else.

What would you have done? :smile:
Reply 1
What do you mean by 'when you get into your twenties you kinda just want to get your life started'?
Original post by JD1lla
What do you mean by 'when you get into your twenties you kinda just want to get your life started'?

Like you want to get a job, get income coming in, settle down in an area, meet someone to marry, and so on. Life isn't quite as spontaneous as when you were a teenager.
Reply 3
Original post by Keyhofi
Like you want to get a job, get income coming in, settle down in an area, meet someone to marry, and so on. Life isn't quite as spontaneous as when you were a teenager.

Isn't it? Life isn't as linear that :wink: I'm 22 and my life couldn't be any more spontaneous.

I did a gap year. But I filled it with things like working, volunteering, partying, travel etc. I didn't plan any of it at all. I didn't think "right I'm going to have a gap year". I started uni and then dropped out, planning to return to university the next September and see what happened. Man it was good.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest