The Student Room Group

I hate getting haircuts...

(edited 8 years ago)
I hate conversing with barbers, it's so fake and generic but I do it because they're cutting my hair and they can **** it up when they want

Don't tell them you're anxious, they'll probably laugh, just be cool.
Original post by AlexParmenter
For some reason I my anxiety is always really bad when I go to get my hair cut, part of it is to do with trying to make small talk with the woman who cuts it because my social skills are crap so I feel a lot of pressure to keep the conversation going.

I also hate loud noises and whenever she turns the clippers on to neaten up round my ears it makes me jump and I get scared she'll mess it up when I move and I start shaking and then they ask me what's wrong and it's so embarassing...

Lately I've been cutting my own hair because it's pretty easy to just trim it but of course if a professional were to look at it they'd think it looked horrendous but whatever...

Basically I need to get it cut this week or next because it's just getting so long on top but I don't know whether to mention my anxiety to them or to just keep calm and ignore it as they are professionals and must deal with all sorts of people :frown: I just feel so rude when I sit there in silence as she seems really bored lol

Go to a barber
Reply 3
Original post by bittr n swt
I hate conversing with barbers, it's so fake and generic but I do it because they're cutting my hair and they can **** it up when they want

Don't tell them you're anxious, they'll probably laugh, just be cool.

Yeah I always feel like we have the same conversation every time :angry:

Original post by Magnus Taylor
Go to a barber

I do but there's a woman who works there and I always ask for her because I find girls easier to talk to than boys :redface:
Yeah I always feel like we have the same conversation every time :angry:

I do but there's a woman who works there and I always ask for her because I find girls easier to talk to than boys :redface:

Unfortunately the barbers that cut my hair know and recognise me so we can't have the same convo lol
[QUOTE=AlexParmenter;57455573]Yeah I always feel like we have the same conversation every time :angry:

Talk about what you are strong in perhaps academia because then you won't feel so nervous
I never talk to mine. Only some very brief conversation. But then again mine is Turkish, so mostly they just talk to each other lol
Reply 7
I get that jumpy thing too. Quite bad twitches in the small of my back which cause me to jump badly, its family to the sound of a large fly buzzing at you I find, I have to grab one hand with the other or my arm or something and squeeze it as tightly as I can to give me a distraction from the noise.

For the past 8-9 years I do it myself with my own set of clippers and just ask someone I trust to neaten up round the ears and the back where I can't see. Saves a fortune! Doesn't always look quite as good as a barbers cut, so I bite the bullet and head to a barbers for special occasions like weddings etc which thankfully are rare.
Reply 8
Original post by dhr90
I get that jumpy thing too. Quite bad twitches in the small of my back which cause me to jump badly, its family to the sound of a large fly buzzing at you I find, I have to grab one hand with the other or my arm or something and squeeze it as tightly as I can to give me a distraction from the noise.

For the past 8-9 years I do it myself with my own set of clippers and just ask someone I trust to neaten up round the ears and the back where I can't see. Saves a fortune! Doesn't always look quite as good as a barbers cut, so I bite the bullet and head to a barbers for special occasions like weddings etc which thankfully are rare.

haha same i get really tense aswell, I try to just focus on my breathing which helps a little bit.

Yeah I'm just thinking as it's summer I want to get it cut short but I don't trust myself as it's so long on top atm and I would have to cut loads off
Reply 9
haha same i get really tense aswell, I try to just focus on my breathing which helps a little bit.

Yeah I'm just thinking as it's summer I want to get it cut short but I don't trust myself as it's so long on top atm and I would have to cut loads off

I think I hold my breath a bit when I get mine done, involuntarily, it just happens.

Its a big jump at first, but I got used to it. The guide means it will be even all over, it may appear uneven if you have a very uneven skull though :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest