The Student Room Group

FDM Assessment Day

I have been invited to an assessment day with this company, but I've been researching online and have seen a lot of negativity about them. The contract in itself doesn't seem that great. Is there anyone that can share their experiences with FDM?
The IT industry is currently stuggling to recruit. Now has never been so good to get a job. So go to the recruitment day, put your concerns to them and see what they say. In the meantime keep applying. You have nothing to lose. Accepting a job you have doubts about is not a wise move.

Good luck!
Reply 2
Original post by ByEeek
The IT industry is currently stuggling to recruit. Now has never been so good to get a job. So go to the recruitment day, put your concerns to them and see what they say. In the meantime keep applying. You have nothing to lose. Accepting a job you have doubts about is not a wise move.

Good luck!

Sorry for the late reply. What exactly is wrong with the IT industry right now?
Fdm r a scam if u leave within the 2 year commitment you have to pay 20k back
Original post by Gherk
Sorry for the late reply. What exactly is wrong with the IT industry right now?

Lots of jobs. Not enough people to fill them quite simply. I have been working in and around Manchester for the last 10 years. When I started, there were a couple dozen or so established businesses that had a software function and the occasional large software venture. Now, there are not only small software and web agencies left right and centre but also large glamorous employers like the BBC and even Google! There is a financial presence somewhere but I have yet to discover who. And this is just Manchester which in the world of software is a bit of a backwater. It is the same in IT.
Original post by daindian
Fdm r a scam if u leave within the 2 year commitment you have to pay 20k back

That isn't a scam. It is a rather harsh contract, but not a scam. A scam is where you pay money and get nothing in return. They are simply requesting you think very hard about leaving before your 2 years are up.
Original post by ByEeek
That isn't a scam. It is a rather harsh contract, but not a scam. A scam is where you pay money and get nothing in return. They are simply requesting you think very hard about leaving before your 2 years are up.

no its a scam, you shouldn't have to pay back the 20k before the two years. if you saw how they recruit on university campuses you would understand. When they fast track you to assessment centre, they do not tell you about the fees. A scam is also when you take fresh graduates don't tell them what they are getting into and then make it near impossible for them to leave. They also guarantee you work, when in reality that is not the case.
Reply 7
Search for the QA Gateway Programme, they are newer to the market and are looking after their graduates.

Good luck,

Henry
Reply 8
Original post by Moteyyy
Search for the QA Gateway Programme, they are newer to the market and are looking after their graduates.

Good luck,

Henry

So you would recommend QA over FDM? Have the feeling the former would be much better as well to be honest. However, haven't been able to find any review on them online.

FDM's review ain't too good to be honest.

Also, guys, would you recommend a not so recent graduate (graduated 2009) to sign up for FDM? I'm NOT particularly happy with a yes answer to that question. Since that would mean spending 2 years doing a job that might not lead to any permanent placement.

These times, I regret going travelling. As I now have to play catch up with others and the gap on my CV ain't been helpful so far.

Look forward to any and all responses.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 9
Have a chat with QA - 2009 is fine.

Is you apply today you should get a call back today also.
Original post by Moteyyy
Have a chat with QA - 2009 is fine.

Is you apply today you should get a call back today also.

QA seem to have picked their name so they are virtually unsearchable, they wanted me to do something but i never got back to them. There's another third group similar to the pair of them called Netbuilder I don't know if they are any good or not.
Reply 11
NETBuilder seems to have good reviews. Give them a call and ask questions.

Times like this, I regret spending 2 years of my life travelling. Only to come back and having to play catch up. Not looking forward to getting delayed another 2 years. But unsure if its smart to take my chances and try get a role without FDM.
Original post by mikeA1
NETBuilder seems to have good reviews. Give them a call and ask questions.

Times like this, I regret spending 2 years of my life travelling. Only to come back and having to play catch up. Not looking forward to getting delayed another 2 years. But unsure if its smart to take my chances and try get a role without FDM.

Who did you end up going with mate?hope it all worked out
Original post by ByEeek

If you check out Graduate Fog website you can see that FDM claimed £18,000 off a student, witholding their final month's salary £1645 as a downpayment and requesting settlement in 14 days with threats of court.

There is also an article in the Guardian " Capita and FDM Group face legal action from former employees over exit fees "

With Jolyon Maugham QC wishing to take FDM to the High Court

“All of these graduates are operating in a kind of tied servitude. Tied for years to a faceless behemoth, working off an inflated debt on unfair terms, on something that looks less like a legitimate training scheme, and more like a clever way of hooking in the desperate or naive.”Jolyon Maugham QC, the Good Law Project

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending