The Student Room Group

Boob job - for yourself?

I've just read an article about a woman who claims to have a boob job 'for herself'. And I've seen this reasoning quite a lot. Women/men claiming to want to better themselves aesthetically 'for themselves'.

'I don't wear a push up bra and tight clothing to impress men - I wear it to feel confident and for myself'

'I don't want a six pack for girls, I want it for myself'

'I don't want a boob job for male attention, I want it to boost my confidence and for myself'

...But how? Why would getting a boob job, for example, make you feel more confident? To me, it seems it would make you feel more confident because it's perceived that larger/'better shaped' breasts are better and more desirable. Who decides this? Apparently, men.

So you're not doing it for yourself really are you?

I have no issue with people who get boob jobs. Or want to impress girls with your gym bod. But at least come from a place of honesty.

I go to the gym because yes, it has many benefits. Increased bone density, encourages better eating habits, safer joint mobility, stronger, less prone to injury, better heart health etc.

But if a muscular body was considered unattractive by the opposite sex, then...I'd probably re-consider.
Original post by JD1lla
I've just read an article about a woman who claims to have a boob job 'for herself'. And I've seen this reasoning quite a lot. Women/men claiming to want to better themselves aesthetically 'for themselves'.

'I don't wear a push up bra and tight clothing to impress men - I wear it to feel confident and for myself'

'I don't want a six pack for girls, I want it for myself'

'I don't want a boob job for male attention, I want it to boost my confidence and for myself'

...But how? Why would getting a boob job, for example, make you feel more confident? To me, it seems it would make you feel more confident because it's perceived that larger/'better shaped' breasts are better and more desirable. Who decides this? Apparently, men.

So you're not doing it for yourself really are you?

I have no issue with people who get boob jobs. Or want to impress girls with your gym bod. But at least come from a place of honesty.

I go to the gym because yes, it has many benefits. Increased bone density, encourages better eating habits, safer joint mobility, stronger, less prone to injury, better heart health etc.

But if a muscular body was considered unattractive by the opposite sex, then...I'd probably re-consider.

Over the last year I have lost over 6 stone and as a result my boobs are now somewhat lacking. I would love to have them lifted and yes it would be for myself. I'm sad that they're ruined and would love have boobs more suitable to someone of my age!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
would you be able to elaborate on why/how it could be for yourself?

If your answer is 'it boosts your confidence' , could you explain why?
Exhibit A - looking like you haven't brushed your hair for days, wearing the same clothing for 4 days in a row

Exhibit B - had a good shower, feel fresh and walk out feeling like you have your sh*t together

same applies to boobs tbh, insecurities come when, for example, you look in the mirror and realize that one breast is slightly smaller than the other. You want to feel good and in proportion. If you feel that you look good, your confidence will likely bounce onto the people that see you and they'll think you look good too. Your thoughts about yourself come before others' perceptions about you.
Reply 4
Exhibit A and B are different.

Boobs are not essentially on display. They are not required to look 'presentable' for work. and showering is just hygiene.

For example,

If you lived on a completely isolated desert island with no other human beings around, would you care about your hair? Would uneven breasts bother you when there is absolutely nobody else there?

"Your confidence will likely bounce onto the people that see you and they'll think you look good too"

So it IS about what other people think, at the end of the day?
(edited 8 years ago)
haha bull****. Girls want a boob job to impress guys and hence feel confident when they have double Ds.

If the world was only female (god forbid) then boob jobs would be unheard of
Reply 6
If they believe that they're perceived as more attractive, then that boosts their confidence. I agree it's not really "for yourself" in a straightforward way.

It's the same with wearing make up of course. As for six packs, that's a sign of being in peak physical condition, and people might want one even though no one can see it.
Reply 7
Original post by miser
If they believe that they're perceived as more attractive, then that boosts their confidence. I agree it's not really "for yourself" in a straightforward way.

It's the same with wearing make up of course. As for six packs, that's a sign of being in peak physical condition, and people might want one even though no one can see it.

A six pack is not a sign of peak physical condition. Well, people would see it on beaches, in the bedroom etc.
Reply 8
Original post by bittr n swt

If the world was only female (god forbid) then boob jobs would be unheard of

Perfectly put.
Reply 9
Original post by JD1lla
A six pack is not a sign of peak physical condition. Well, people would see it on beaches, in the bedroom etc.

It indicates strong core and low body fat %. We could argue what peak means but those are conventionally seen as part of it. People wouldn't see it if you didn't go on beaches, etc., and if someone is seeing it in the bedroom, then she's already in your bedroom, so it doesn't really matter.

But that's all unimportant - are you defending the view that there's no point to wanting a six pack except to be attractive to or impress others?
Reply 10
Original post by miser
It indicates strong core and low body fat %. We could argue what peak means but those are conventionally seen as part of it. People wouldn't see it if you didn't go on beaches, etc., and if someone is seeing it in the bedroom, then she's already in your bedroom, so it doesn't really matter.

But that's all unimportant - are you defending the view that there's no point to wanting a six pack except to be attractive to or impress others?

Be careful, it does not indicate a strong core. The 'core' is made up of many muscles. Lower back muscles, deep abdominal wall all make up the core for example, and these could be highly undeveloped even in somebody with a ripped six pack (the rectus abdominus), but yes it does indicate low body fat.

And a woman in your bedroom is most likely in your bedroom because of your confidence. A six pack will boost your confidence. If I had a perfect body, I'd probably be slightly more confident than I am now.

There is nothing wrong with wanting a six pack because it is a desirable characteristic in males. But my point is, is saying that you want a six pack 'for yourself' isn't really for yourself, is it?

HOWEVER,

saying you want a strong core, can be for yourself, because having a strong core does not mean you will have a six pack. Having a strong core is not a directly observable aesthetic feature of your body. It's like saying "I want a healthy heart".
Reply 11
Original post by JD1lla
Be careful, it does not indicate a strong core. The 'core' is made up of many muscles. Lower back muscles, deep abdominal wall all make up the core for example, and these could be highly undeveloped even in somebody with a ripped six pack (the rectus abdominus), but yes it does indicate low body fat.
And a woman in your bedroom is most likely in your bedroom because of your confidence. A six pack will boost your confidence. If I had a perfect body, I'd probably be slightly more confident than I am now.
There is nothing wrong with wanting a six pack because it is a desirable characteristic in males. But my point is, is saying that you want a six pack 'for yourself' isn't really for yourself, is it?
HOWEVER,
saying you want a strong core, can be for yourself, because having a strong core does not mean you will have a six pack. Having a strong core is not a directly observable aesthetic feature of your body. It's like saying "I want a healthy heart".

I think it is possible to want it for yourself. In addition to wanting it because you think it indicates you're on the right track with your fitness, I think you could also simply like the way it looks. That reasoning could also be used for women wanting boob jobs, but it seems a bit more extreme to get surgery because you like the way a certain type of feature looks, but hey, people do it - did you ever see that lady who got botox to make herself look like a cat? It's definitely out there.

In the majority of instances I agree with you. Personally I don't care about having a six pack or a good-looking physique except that it will look good to women. However, I do separately want to be fit and strong. I don't think everyone in the world would think the same way about it as me though.
Original post by JD1lla
would you be able to elaborate on why/how it could be for yourself?

If your answer is 'it boosts your confidence' , could you explain why?

Because I've worked really hard to lose weight but as a direct result am unhappy with my breasts. If I can change that it will not longer be a source of insecurity. Buying comfortable bras would be easier and I would be able to wear a wider range of tops. Not wearing a bra, e.g. At night would be a lot more comfortable. As to your argument about women only having surgery because large breasts are deemed attractive, if I did have mine lifted they would probably be smaller than they are now.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Original post by miser
I think it is possible to want it for yourself. In addition to wanting it because you think it indicates you're on the right track with your fitness, I think you could also simply like the way it looks. That reasoning could also be used for women wanting boob jobs, but it seems a bit more extreme to get surgery because you like the way a certain type of feature looks, but hey, people do it - did you ever see that lady who got botox to make herself look like a cat? It's definitely out there.

In the majority of instances I agree with you. Personally I don't care about having a six pack or a good-looking physique except that it will look good to women. However, I do separately want to be fit and strong. I don't think everyone in the world would think the same way about it as me though.

I've seen some cases of a man wanting to look like Katie Price, a man wanting to look like Kim Kardashian (Jordan James Parke is his name, fascinating...)
, a man wanting to look like a Ken Doll, a woman wanting to look like a barbie, women wanting to look like Kim Kardashian. These cases are pretty extreme, and they all have severe insecurities/body dismorphia and sometimes admit they need help (one nearly died from having so many complications with the amount of surgery he has had).

I used to want to be strong and healthy. Now, I want to be strong, healthy and look good. Why not? I can have it all. I want to be the best version of myself. I do not go out of my way to seek validation or approval from others. But I like it when I receive compliments for doing a good job, or receiving good feedback for a university assignment, or somebody telling me I look hot.

Having a six pack would make me happier. Only ever so slightly. If I ever chased a really aesthetic body, I'd straight off the bat admit it would be to look good for women.

At the moment I'm not chasing it, but when I do..i'd happily admit why.
Reply 14
Original post by JD1lla
I used to want to be strong and healthy. Now, I want to be strong, healthy and look good. Why not? I can have it all. I want to be the best version of myself. I do not go out of my way to seek validation or approval from others. But I like it when I receive compliments for doing a good job, or receiving good feedback for a university assignment, or somebody telling me I look hot.

Having a six pack would make me happier. Only ever so slightly. If I ever chased a really aesthetic body, I'd straight off the bat admit it would be to look good for women.

At the moment I'm not chasing it, but when I do..i'd happily admit why.

I could have written this myself. I hope you achieve all your goals. :smile:
Reply 15
Original post by myblueheaven339
Because I've worked really hard to lose weight but as a direct result am unhappy with my breasts. If I can change that it will not longer be a source of insecurity. Buying comfortable bras would be easier and I would be able to wear a wider range of tops. Not wearing a bra, e.g. At night would be a lot more comfortable. As to your argument about women only having surgery because large breasts are deemed attractive, if I did have mine lifted they would probably be smaller than they are now.

Posted from TSR Mobile

But analyse the source of the insecurity in the first place. What is wrong with asymmetrical breasts? or small/er breasts?

It's not just limited to getting a breast size enhancement, but also changing the shape, perkiness/nipples etc.

This, in my mind, does not apply to a breast reduction if there is pain involved.
I had a boob job 'for myself' just before my 21st birthday. Ive been in a relationship for four years and it had nothing to do with making anyone happy apart from myself. I wanted bigger boobs so I got them. It really wasn't that deep and definitely wasn't about pleasing anyone else, I don't wear more provocative clothes now I have fake boobs and I don't use it to get attention from anyone else. Theres only a handful of people that even know they're not real. Im a big believer in ' if it makes you happy then do it' :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending