The Student Room Group

Network Computing

Hello

I was wandering that as I have passed my first year of the foundation degree in both network Computing and software development. I have to make a choice between software Development and Network Computing to study in the second year.

I enjoy both subjects, however the only difference is during the second year, the software Developers study Computer Systems and and the Network Computing group gets to study Networking, and then both courses study Object Oriented Software Development, Software Engineering Practice and Work based Learning Project.

I am urging towards Network Computing however I have always found Subnetting quite but there is always room for learning so I guess that my friends and I would be setting up group discussions to discuss the subnetting. In addition to this during the first year of the foundation course it was based on reading, reading and reading two modules. I can remember everything but it as to whether I understand everything. So thankfully for the second year there would be a group project and would finally work on connecting computers together rather than on packet tracers all the time.

I was just wandering that is a total bad thing that I struggle with subnetting the most?

Also I am not sure what machine codes is about as this is involved in computer systems and hope that you guys could explain what it is and how it works.I sort of know what Machine codes are like but I would like to know from another person's point of view and also what is the difficulty like on working with machine codes?

Thank you and so sorry for the long post.
It is always a dilemma. I suppose you need to ask yourself which you would find more useful. Are you more likely to go into networking or software as a chosen career?

Regardless, both subject are rather niche. Subnetting is a bit confusing, but easy once you know how and easy to pick up on the job. It is nice to have an appreciation for how computers work in terms of electrons, bit fields and op code, but you can still write killer apps without that knowledge. So go with the one that takes your fancy and don't worry too much about it.

Good luck!
Original post by ByEeek
It is always a dilemma. I suppose you need to ask yourself which you would find more useful. Are you more likely to go into networking or software as a chosen career?

Regardless, both subject are rather niche. Subnetting is a bit confusing, but easy once you know how and easy to pick up on the job. It is nice to have an appreciation for how computers work in terms of electrons, bit fields and op code, but you can still write killer apps without that knowledge. So go with the one that takes your fancy and don't worry too much about it.

Good luck!

Thank you so much for your reply, I do seem to be more interested in Network Computing more as it involves both programming as well as the networking side. So I think I will go for Network Computing, however unfortunately with the Cisco program. I think like you had mentioned once I pick subetting up I should be fine.
It depends a bit on what you actually want to do with your life. Software Development is very good if you literally want to be an engineer the rest of your life, but Networks can be very helpful for more active jobs, and in a slightly different industry, plus you aren't completely losing out on programming experience.
Original post by Duskstar
It depends a bit on what you actually want to do with your life. Software Development is very good if you literally want to be an engineer the rest of your life, but Networks can be very helpful for more active jobs, and in a slightly different industry, plus you aren't completely losing out on programming experience.

Ok hahah, thank you for your reply. Programming is involved for the second year as for the subject Network Computing, I will be studying Networking, Software Engineering Practice, Object Orientated Software Development and Work Based Learning Project. As for the Software Development they would be learning computer systems, following with Software Engineering Practice, Object Orientated Software Development and Work Based Learning Project.

So I guess I kind of get both in one subject, for the first year I studied C+ programming and for the second year I would be learning UML and Java. I think I will go for Network Computing, although I enjoy the subject and just need to practice more subnetting, then hopefully I will get there. It's just the way Cisco company had laid out the course.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending