The Student Room Group

Routes to becoming a solicitor

Hi,

So I graduated in 2013 with a Bsc in Geography Politics and IR.
I have been working as an estate agent for the last 18 months and I have decided that I really want to work in a conveyancing department. Initially i was just looking at conveyancing assistant jobs etc but i have decided i would eventually like to be a solicitor.

I have been doing a bit of research and I have about a million questions so if anyone can help with any of these it would be much appreciated :smile:

1) I understand I need to take either the Common Professional Examination or a Graduate Diploma in law to make up for not having an LLB. The SRA says both meet requirements but I wondered if anyone could explain any major differences?
--> I was also looking into Bank Loans to pay for tuition and it said that most lenders wont lend for the GDL... does that mean they do lend for a CPE? Whats the difference??

2) I have also come across an Exempting Law Degree which combines the academic and vocational training. Is this a route i should be considering? Also which works out cheaper :smile:

3) As i mentioned i was initially just looking at paralegal and assistant jobs as I like conveyancing. I have an interview on friday .. if I get offered the job do you think its better to have some experience before starting the CPE? Will it stand me in better sted when I am trying to find a training position?

4) Also i know this is quite far down the line but i have a couple of questions about the LPC .. is it better to combine this with the period of recognised training? Do you/ can you get paid for the training period? Do you need to secure a training position before starting the LPC?

I'm sorry .. its alot of questions, but any info would be much appreciated.
1. generally speaking, the CPE is what the course now usually called the GDL used to be called; I do not think that there is any material difference and am not aware of any provider offering a CPE course

2. in your circumstances, no.

3. yes and definitely yes

4. not sure what you mean - you have to do a two year training contract at a law firm (getting experience in a variety of legal areas) after the LPC before you can qualify as a solicitor. you get paid during this. getting a training contract is much the hardest part of becoming a solicitor - most gdl/lpc providers will take you if you can pay.

if what you are interested in is only conveyancing I suggest that you also look at the Institute of Legal Executives.
Original post by larusfuscus
1. generally speaking, the CPE is what the course now usually called the GDL used to be called; I do not think that there is any material difference and am not aware of any provider offering a CPE course

2. in your circumstances, no.

3. yes and definitely yes

4. not sure what you mean - you have to do a two year training contract at a law firm (getting experience in a variety of legal areas) after the LPC before you can qualify as a solicitor. you get paid during this. getting a training contract is much the hardest part of becoming a solicitor - most gdl/lpc providers will take you if you can pay.

if what you are interested in is only conveyancing I suggest that you also look at the Institute of Legal Executives.

Thank you so much for your advice !!

I have just had a look on the Ilex website and that definitely sounds like a good option! The job i am going for on friday says it will support you through a training contract or Ilex qualifications for the right candidate. Ilex seems alot quicker and cheaper though.

Another question for you though if you can help ... upon successfully completing the Ilex qualification what would your title be and what job positions could you apply for? and finally i assume that position earns less than a solicitor?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Hannah_Jeffries
Thank you so much for your advice !!

I have just had a look on the Ilex website and that definitely sounds like a good option! The job i am going for on friday says it will support you through a training contract or Ilex qualifications for the right candidate. Ilex seems alot quicker and cheaper though.

Another question for you though if you can help ... upon successfully completing the Ilex qualification what would your title be and what job positions could you apply for? and finally i assume that position earns less than a solicitor?

You are a 'Legal Executive'; they are a separately regulated body of legal professionals able to do conveyancing and some kinds of litigation. You could apply for jobs as a legal exec in a law firm or other organisation that needed one. I mentioned it because the only interest in legal matters you mentioned is property. Being a solicitor does give the opportunity to do a larger variety of legal work - and is probably a more 'prestigious' qualification - but may take more time/cost more/be more competitive to achieve.

As for money it is hard to compare. You are unlikely to get rich as a residential property conveyancer whatever qualification you have.

Re the job 'supporting the right candidate through a training contract' - be aware that you can't do a TC until you have done the GDL/LPC, and also that law firms are infamous for dangling the carrot of a possible training contract in front of paralegals, who have often completed the GDL/LPC, much more often than they actually deliver.

GDL/LPC is two years of expensive study with no guarantee of a TC at the end - getting some experience in early is a good idea. After that if you really want to be a lawyer (and have at least a 2:1 from a reasonable Uni) then think about the solicitor route. But if it really is only property that you are interested in Legal Exec is an possible alternative.
If its only property you are considering then there is also the option of Licensed Conveyancer with the CLC - this allows you to set up your own conveyancing business in the future if that's of interest.
Thank you both for you help!! I have been reading a bit more into the CILEx route and i'm finding it quite appealing as I can then see a few different fields rather than limiting myself just to property.

As I understand it I need to do a Level 3 Certificate & diploma in Law and Practive and then Level 6 plus the Qualified employment period. I cant seem to see anywhere the entry requirements for Level 6. As i already have a degree could i go straight in at Level 6 or would I need to Level 3 as my degree isnt in Law?

Thank you again !!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending