The Student Room Group

Changing to a 'better' Uni

Towards the end of this year, our sixth-form has been encouraging people (including me) to go to a Russel Group or otherwise higher ranking uni than they chose at first, if it seems their results will be better than expected . Is this a good idea? Will anybody care about where your degree is from, and should I worry it. I'm asking because I've already been to visit my first choice and I loved it, and now I don't know whether I should go a place I know and like, or a uni with a better reputation and image.

Scroll to see replies

Go with your first choice.
Original post by Lemon Haze
Go with your first choice.

So even if I'm able to go somewhere supposedly better, I should stick with my original, no matter what?
Reply 3
I'm in the same boat and i'm so torn. The difference is one is closer to home with a smaller cohort and the other is an extra 40mins away. Good luck with your choices, people do say go with the one you prefer/your hearts tells you to go to.
What uni are we talking about and what is your first choice/subject?
Original post by hihihihihi
What uni are we talking about and what is your first choice/subject?

This please
Of course employers will care what uni you go to...to an extent. It's not the most important factor but it's still something they consider (unless you do medicine). There are some unis that are just as good as RG unis, such as Bath and Exeter.
Original post by InadequateJusticex
Of course employers will care what uni you go to...to an extent. It's not the most important factor but it's still something they consider (unless you do medicine). There are some unis that are just as good as RG unis, such as Bath and Exeter.

Exeter has been RG since 2012, bb.
Original post by StrongBelwas

Love the username, btw. I was gutted they cut him out of the TV show.

And it'd be helpful to know which unis you're talking about, because you don't wanna sacrifice Durham or something for Cumbria (unless it's creative arts), but if you're choosing between Newcastle and Leicester there is less to lose. All this info is important.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by callum_law
Exeter has been RG since 2012, bb.

Oops yeah, I keep forgetting...but my point still stands, there are some non-RG unis that are just excellent as (or perhaps even better) than RG unis.
Original post by InadequateJusticex
Oops yeah, I keep forgetting...but my point still stands, there are some non-RG unis that are just excellent as (or perhaps even better) than RG unis.

... than some RG unis.

I agree.
Original post by StrongBelwas
So even if I'm able to go somewhere supposedly better, I should stick with my original, no matter what?

What is your first choice and for which subject? :smile:
Hey guys im in a similar situation, basically I've just finished my first year at Bradford. Its a good uni, but maybe not for me and about an hour by train, however I would have loved to go to Cardiff ( and can still go for sept 2015 -all i have to do is put in a ucas) . A couple of things about me, im a very quiet person, but i was hoping to move to Cardiff (3 and half hour train journey) to break out of my shell and out of my comfort zone. Any advice?
Original post by nigerianTank
Any advice?

Just do it. Nike 101.
Original post by callum_law
Just do it. Nike 101.

Another point is that would mean I would have to change courses (and honestly i have no idea which one to choose), however if i did want to stay on this course i could go to Sheffield (also a good RG uni - but do Year 1 again).
Hey guys im in a similar situation, basically I've just finished my first year at Bradford. Its a good uni, but maybe not for me and about an hour by train, however I would have loved to go to Cardiff ( and can still go for sept 2015 -all i have to do is put in a ucas) . A couple of things about me, im a very quiet person, but i was hoping to move to Cardiff (3 and half hour train journey) to break out of my shell and out of my comfort zone. Any advice?

I appreciate that commuting to University can be difficult and in some cases an extra stress!

In terms of advice and support I would strongly recommend you speak with your Personal Tutor or your Faculty’s Student Support Team. I would also recommend you contact Cardiff and speak with their Admissions Team about the possibility of transferring onto the second year of whichever course you’re thinking of. In the meantime if you would like any further assistance or information from me please do get in touch.

Best of luck with your decision!
Original post by University of Bradford

Some surprisingly unbiased and quality advice here.
I appreciate that commuting to University can be difficult and in some cases an extra stress!

In terms of advice and support I would strongly recommend you speak with your Personal Tutor or your Faculty’s Student Support Team. I would also recommend you contact Cardiff and speak with their Admissions Team about the possibility of transferring onto the second year of whichever course you’re thinking of. In the meantime if you would like any further assistance or information from me please do get in touch.

Best of luck with your decision!

The course is not offered at Cardiff, so would start from Year 1. It's probably too late anyway, I can't even talk to my parents about it and they have no idea. Plus i have a resit to revise for because I couldn't cope anymore...
The course is not offered at Cardiff, so would start from Year 1. It's probably too late anyway, I can't even talk to my parents about it and they have no idea. Plus i have a resit to revise for because I couldn't cope anymore...

I see, okay. Please can you PM me with your full name, the title of the course you are currently studying and your UB number. If you can also give me a little bit more information about what issues you've got and what support you require that would be appreciated. Once I have these details I can contact the Faculty's Student Support Team and look at what options are available to you.

I'll keep an eye out for your PM and hopefully we can get this sorted for you :smile:
I see, okay. Please can you PM me with your full name, the title of the course you are currently studying and your UB number. If you can also give me a little bit more information about what issues you've got and what support you require that would be appreciated. Once I have these details I can contact the Faculty's Student Support Team and look at what options are available to you.

I'll keep an eye out for your PM and hopefully we can get this sorted for you :smile:

I have sent the PM

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending