The Student Room Group

Do I Mention my World of Warcraft Raiding Achievements On My Personal Statement?

I'm writing my PGCE PS and a bit stuck for things to add. A while ago I was raiding in World of Warcraft (killing bosses as a team of 25 on an online game, surprisingly hard). We managed to achieve top 500 status and top 10 on the server, would this team achievement be worth mentioning?

Scroll to see replies

No it isn't the sort of thing to include in your PS. Look at the guidance in my signature - there is an article on how to write a PGCE PS
Reply 2
Yes.

I'd also list what loot you got (if any).

Pay particular interest to the set bonuses any of this gear gave you.
Reply 3
dont forget to link dps/hps meters
Reply 4
It's a achievement, but not one that you should mention on a PGCE PS. It makes you look a bit immature.
Reply 5
Original post by conroy26
dont forget to link dps/hps meters

This is good advice.

You probably also want to mention which build you have. This will show exemplary analytical skills. It may also help in negotiating a starting wage well above typical.
Reply 6
Original post by A5ko
Yes.

I'd also list what loot you got (if any).

Pay particular interest to the set bonuses any of this gear gave you.

I did have best in slot bow.
best not to mention GTA skilz
Reply 8
It depends on the job. If you're going for a job where the person reading it is likely to understand or have played WoW, then I'd say go for it - it's ballsy and shows you're a match for the company culture, and they'd recognise it as an achievement.

But if the person doesn't understand WoW, all they'll see is "WoW" and get a bunch of negative connotations in their head that will probably hinder you more than help. You could maybe consider saying you've demonstrated leadership in a team game and achieved global recognition for your team, then when asked in an interview you could give the specifics and be there to make sure it comes across in the right way, but it wouldn't be the easiest thing in the world to pull off. It depends how confidently you could do it, but then if you're asking this question, it makes me think you might need guidance for that, which makes me lean towards saying it's better not to mention.

Edit: Re-reading OP, I doubt you could get a lot of mileage out of it for PGCE/teaching.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 9
You should... They're achievements after all.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes.
Reply 11
Original post by miser
It depends on the job. If you're going for a job where the person reading it is likely to understand or have played WoW, then I'd say go for it - it's ballsy and shows you're a match for the company culture, and they'd recognise it as an achievement.

But if the person doesn't understand WoW, all they'll see is "WoW" and get a bunch of negative connotations in their head that will probably hinder you more than help. You could maybe consider saying you've demonstrated leadership in a team game and achieved global recognition for your team, then when asked in an interview you could give the specifics and be there to make sure it comes across in the right way, but it wouldn't be the easiest thing in the world to pull off. It depends how confidently you could do it, but then if you're asking this question, it makes me think you might need guidance for that, which makes me lean towards saying it's better not to mention.

Edit: Re-reading OP, I doubt you could get a lot of mileage out of it for PGCE/teaching.

I went from having no heroic/normal raiding experience to a consistent team member within 2 months, it took a lot of dedication and time to learn so quickly.
Reply 12
Obviously. They'll be dying to take you on, they'll just be hoping you continue chasing after these kinds of achievements on the job.
Reply 13
Original post by TunaTunnel
I went from having no heroic/normal raiding experience to a consistent team member within 2 months, it took a lot of dedication and time to learn so quickly.

One thing that may work against you is over reliance on mods.

Best not to mention Deadly Boss Mobs if you can.
Reply 14
Original post by Smushy
Obviously. They'll be dying to take you on, they'll just be hoping you continue chasing after these kinds of achievements on the job.

If I can hold a job and still raid in a top tier raiding guilds thats not necessarily a bad thing.
If I can hold a job and still raid in a top tier raiding guilds thats not necessarily a bad thing.

were you involved in raid leading and organising other players? that would show you are not just a mindless sheep

Spoiler

Reply 16

Exactly, it shows off your time time management skills and dedication.
Reply 17
It's encouraging to see so many TSR users pulling together and aiding with a genuine issue.

Brings a tear to my eye.
Go for it mate.
Reply 19
Original post by conroy26
were you involved in raid leading and organising other players? that would show you are not just a mindless sheep

Spoiler

I was a guild masters but not at a heroic level only normal.

Quick Reply