The Student Room Group

Advice on How to catch up on GCSEs and A levels?

What happened is a lot of unfortunate events, which lead to me not being able to do my GCSE's and basically trying to find out how to catch up. I'm 18 almost 19 and i need to sort my education out. I'm not dumb nor making poor choices. It's just a lot of problems happened preventing me from doing my education and i'm really trying to find out how can i get my GCSE's and A levels then head to University. I'm 18 and basically have no qualifications and i'm looking to find out what courses i can enroll on etc that are free to catch up on my GCSEs and A levels i don't care if their extensive courses etc i'm willing to put in the time.

Scroll to see replies

depending on what you want to do at uni, you could attempt to do an access course and do gcses along side it?
Original post by RealMind
What happened is a lot of unfortunate events, which lead to me not being able to do my GCSE's and basically trying to find out how to catch up. I'm 18 almost 19 and i need to sort my education out. I'm not dumb nor making poor choices. It's just a lot of problems happened preventing me from doing my education and i'm really trying to find out how can i get my GCSE's and A levels then head to University. I'm 18 and basically have no qualifications and i'm looking to find out what courses i can enroll on etc that are free to catch up on my GCSEs and A levels i don't care if their extensive courses etc i'm willing to put in the time.

Homeschool is the only option, what do you want to do?
Reply 3
Well i'm looking to go into finance. I've browsed around and was curious if i could skip some GCSEs and just go straight into A levels. If not how can i use an access course to get the GCSEs required to do A levels, then move onto uni of course.
I know there is the Oxford open learning website but they might take too long and I don't know if there are any Edexcel IGCSE exam centers nearby you.

I guess what you could do:
GCSEs (you could sit these in October):
Maths
Science (you can choose single, double or triple)
English Lang
Economics/Business Studies
Maybe a foreign language

A Levels (you could sit these next November):
Maths
Economics
1 or 2 other subjects of your choice

Then, perhaps you could get an internship somewhere

For Finance, I guess you won't need a GCSE in a Humanity and English Lit
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 5
That sounds great but where would i be able to sit these exams? Also how would you recommend i study for them? Buy the book/materials and self study? I really do not mind how much effort I need to put in i'll go hours/days of pure studying if i must i just want a chance.
You would have to pay to sit these exams in a school that offers (I)GCSEs in your area. You would have to contact the school and ask if you could sit your exam there (Usually, the earlier you ask the cheaper it is and the more likelier they will allow you). If they offer Edexcel IGCSEs, then the Oxford Open Learning is an option for you

(Sorry if you already know this). For (I)GCSEs, there are different exam boards you can enter in for. You need to contact your school of choice and ask them what exam boards they pursue. You need to try to do exams with no controlled assessments as these might take up extra time and schools often don't allow private candidates like yourself to pursue this -IGCSEs are usually better at this than GCSEs (However, a school allowed me for my GCSE Chinese)

Exam boards I would recommend

For Maths: Edexcel/AQA GCSE Maths - has no controlled assessments (TBH, I don't know any board which has coursework for Maths

For Economics: You could do Edexcel iGCSE Economics as it doesn't have any controlled assessments

In terms of study, you should first contact a school and decide what exam board you're doing (e.g. Edexcel, AQA, OCR, Cambridge, WJEC, CCEA). It is a law that you must do English, Maths and Science with a least a C grade in each

Then, you need to see where you're in terms of knowledge so I suggest picking up a past paper for each subject (I can show how to get these later) and see what happens. After that, you can come up with a plan as you would know how much you need to work to get your target grade. Also, look into fast track courses.

P.S. iGCSE means International GCSE
In most GCSEs there are 2 tiers - Foundation (ranges from G to C) and Higher (ranges from C to A*)

Sorry for typing loads but I'm just trying to help
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by loki123456
You would have to pay to sit these exams in a school that offers (I)GCSEs in your area. You would have to contact the school and ask if you could sit your exam there (Usually, the earlier you ask the cheaper it is and the more likelier they will allow you). If they offer Edexcel IGCSEs, then the Oxford Open Learning is an option for you

(Sorry if you already know this). For (I)GCSEs, there are different exam boards you can enter in for. You need to contact your school of choice and ask them what exam boards they pursue. You need to try to do exams with no controlled assessments as these might take up extra time and schools often don't allow private candidates like yourself to pursue this -IGCSEs are usually better at this than GCSEs (However, a school allowed me for my GCSE Chinese)

Exam boards I would recommend

For Maths: Edexcel/AQA GCSE Maths - has no controlled assessments (TBH, I don't know any board which has coursework for Maths

For Economics: You could do Edexcel iGCSE Economics as it doesn't have any controlled assessments

In terms of study, you should first contact a school and decide what exam board you're doing (e.g. Edexcel, AQA, OCR, Cambridge, WJEC, CCEA). It is a law that you must do English, Maths and Science with a least a C grade in each

Then, you need to see where you're in terms of knowledge so I suggest picking up a past paper for each subject (I can show how to get these later) and see what happens. After that, you can come up with a plan as you would know how much you need to work to get your target grade. Also, look into fast track courses.

P.S. iGCSE means International GCSE
In most GCSEs there are 2 tiers - Foundation (ranges from G to C) and Higher (ranges from C to A*)

Sorry for typing loads but I'm just trying to help

Thank you very much mate you've been a big help. I appreciate the long text :P

As for being able to do Math, science and English if i lack the Science Qualification would i still be able to do say economics IGCSE?( Wondering what the requirements are?)
I've contacted my college i plan on attending and they accept private candidates which is great and they are allowing me to do a Subsidiary Diploma/Diploma/Extended Diploma in Business; while doing a GCSE in math alongside it.(still looking into the GCSE but looks promising.)

I'd love to get Economics with these other qualifications as they'll all be done in a year and will give me a hell of a boost qualification wise. How much work load would you say the economics is? Or rather how challenging is a self study course? Thanks again for all the help.
(edited 8 years ago)

As for being able to do Math, science and English if i lack the Science Qualification would i still be able to do say economics IGCSE?( Wondering what the requirements are?)
I've contacted my college i plan on attending and they accept private candidates which is great and they are allowing me to do a Subsidiary Diploma/Diploma/Extended Diploma in Business; while doing a GCSE in math alongside it.(still looking into the GCSE but looks promising.)

I'd love to get Economics with these other qualifications as they'll all be done in a year and will give me a hell of a boost qualification wise. How much work load would you say the economics is? Or rather how challenging is a self study course? Thanks again for all the help.

I don't think there is any science requirements though for Economics but you will still need to do science as a requirement by the English government. The Extended Diploma sounds like a great idea. BTW, I think read on another thread like 'Redoing a GCSE over a Summer' u mentioned that you were doing Science (correct me if I'm wrong) so have you done any GCSEs so far?
On Extended Diplomas, this looks like a quite a good idea:
http://qualifications.pearson.com/en/qualifications/btec-nationals/business-2010.html

It's an Edexcel Extended Diploma which is the equivalent of 3 A Levels. If you do the basic requirements for GCSE (5 A*-C including Maths, English and Science) and do this diploma really well then you could get an internship somewhere. You should check if employers like this Diploma.

Also Kingston does it as well :
http://kingston-college.ac.uk/subject/business/btec-level-3-extended-diploma-in-business/727-btec-level-3-extended-diploma-in-business

http://www.cwc.ac.uk/Courses/Pages/AB3A1.aspx

I've been with ool, there the best homeschool out there, tutor on phone when your stuck I regret going to Wolsey so ask them about what you need to do is the best.

PS. don't do the access courses univerities don't accept them much.
Reply 11
I don't think there is any science requirements though for Economics but you will still need to do science as a requirement by the English government. The Extended Diploma sounds like a great idea. BTW, I think read on another thread like 'Redoing a GCSE over a Summer' u mentioned that you were doing Science (correct me if I'm wrong) so have you done any GCSEs so far?

Yes i only have my English, religious studies and a level 3 diploma worth 1 A level. I sat an exam for science although i didn't have much time to study for it and don't believe i did very well so i'll prob resit as i need a B+ as a requirement for the course i want to enroll on in uni.

I'll probably Do the level 3 extended diploma as 3 A levels would be nice and the universities accept them. As for GCSE i contacted the college i'll be attending and will be finding out on Wednesday if i'll be able to get funded/do a GCSE math alongside it if not i'll use ool.com. I don't quite know if i should do economics with it as well just because i don't know how crazy the work load might be. I'm hoping it won't be so bad so as i can get 3 A levels and 2 GCSEs in one year then do this fast track fiance courses level 2 -3 in one year.
Reply 12
Original post by ckfeister
I've been with ool, there the best homeschool out there, tutor on phone when your stuck I regret going to Wolsey so ask them about what you need to do is the best.

PS. don't do the access courses universities don't accept them much.

Is it 24 hour contact service and do they explain the problem your having in a good manner that'd i come to understand where i went wrong on a question?

Also are the learning guides you learn from useful? Such as will be on the exam etc. New to this sort of thing so just trying to get my bearings in it before i start. Thanks in advance.
Is it 24 hour contact service and do they explain the problem your having in a good manner that'd i come to understand where i went wrong on a question?
Also are the learning guides you learn from useful? Such as will be on the exam etc. New to this sort of thing so just trying to get my bearings in it before i start. Thanks in advance.

Yes, they always try there best, and no the learning guides are a load of crap, you read and study from a book not a teacher thats truthfully.
loki has answered most things anyway, but oh well, my 2¢:
Most colleges allow you to re-take your GCSEs alongside your a-levels. They usually make you go to a year-long part-time course to cover the info you have most likely not learnt/forgotten. The exams cost, of course. This means that you'll be able to get AT LEAST your core a-levels (math, science, english) alongside your AS levels before moving on to A2. Good luck~!
Reply 15
Original post by ckfeister
Yes, they always try there best, and no the learning guides are a load of crap, you read and study from a book not a teacher thats truthfully.

So when you buy the course such as Math off ool.com are you saying the course is crap which they teach but the support is good? i don't quiet understand what your typing.
So when you buy the course such as Math off ool.com are you saying the course is crap which they teach but the support is good? i don't quiet understand what your typing.

Oh, I thought you meant when they say 360 hours of guided learning... yes they are good they teach on the phone when stuck, you get a textbook and there own book too.
Yes i only have my English, religious studies and a level 3 diploma worth 1 A level. I sat an exam for science although i didn't have much time to study for it and don't believe i did very well so i'll prob resit as i need a B+ as a requirement for the course i want to enroll on in uni.

I'll probably Do the level 3 extended diploma as 3 A levels would be nice and the universities accept them. As for GCSE i contacted the college i'll be attending and will be finding out on Wednesday if i'll be able to get funded/do a GCSE math alongside it if not i'll use ool.com. I don't quite know if i should do economics with it as well just because i don't know how crazy the work load might be. I'm hoping it won't be so bad so as i can get 3 A levels and 2 GCSEs in one year then do this fast track fiance courses level 2 -3 in one year.

Okay so at the moment:

GCSEs:
English
RS
Maths (going to do/resit)
Science (going to do/resit)

You need to do at least double award to make sure you have 5 GCSEs and all of them would at least have to be C. If you only did Single Award, then you would need to do another GCSE (maybe Economics or if you're a fluent in a language other English, Edexcel (I)GCSEs would be easy for you - however unis may not accept this as they may know you're a native speaker, one of my relatives also said CCEA GCSE LFLW is dead easy)

A Level:
Diploma (What is it out of curiosity?)
You mentioned 'another 3 A Levels' (What is it out of curiosity?)
BTEC Extended Diploma in Business - 3 A levels (planning)

TBH, I have never seen anyone do 7 self-taught A Levels in the space of 2 years except for a person who did 23 A Levels on youtube so you might want to reconsider trying to do too much. It's perfectly possible with hard work but I just don't want you to take unnecessary A Levels.

For Economics, my friend said the workload isn't too much with hard work but you should decide for yourself.

What uni course are u looking to pursue out of curiosity?

Hope this helps
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 18
Okay so at the moment:

GCSEs:
English
RS
Maths (going to do/resit)
Science (going to do/resit)

You need to do at least double award to make sure you have 5 GCSEs and all of them would at least have to be C. If you only did Single Award, then you would need to do another GCSE (maybe Economics or if you're a fluent in a language other English, Edexcel (I)GCSEs would be easy for you - however unis may not accept this as they may know you're a native speaker, one of my relatives also said CCEA GCSE LFLW is dead easy)

A Level:
Diploma (What is it out of curiosity?)
You mentioned 'another 3 A Levels' (What is it out of curiosity?)
BTEC Extended Diploma in Business - 3 A levels (planning)

TBH, I have never seen anyone do 7 self-taught A Levels in the space of 2 years except for a person who did 23 A Levels on youtube so you might want to reconsider trying to do too much. It's perfectly possible with hard work but I just don't want you to take unnecessary A Levels.

For Economics, my friend said the workload isn't too much with hard work but you should decide for yourself.

What uni course are u looking to pursue out of curiosity?

Hope this helps

Basically i called up the college and they told me a level 3= an A level and an extended =3 A levels its all BTEC so will be done in units so should be relatively simple( I hope).

I want to become a financial analyst and rise up through the ranks in that career path. It requires me to have an A in anything Math related and nothing below a B. It'll be challenge,one i'll happily accept though.

As for the course you mentioned i read up a little on it and it does sound good but would it be accepted. I'm only curious as I've never heard of such a course before.

In reality though i'll just be doing Math GCSE with economics while doing a 1 year level 3 BTEC extended diploma. As its BTEC i feel it wouldn't be to much to handle as it's mostly paper based and i'll be learning math alongside it which is a bonus for revision and Economics will be the only new experience for me which i'll spend a lot of time revising on since I've never approached the subject before. My only issue would be doing it online on a program such as ool since I've never used it before i don't know if it's reliable so i'm a bit wary of it.

Just was thinking if CCEA GCSE LFLW is accepted if it'd be smarter to do that this year and economics next year?

Thanks for all the help mate.
Basically i called up the college and they told me a level 3= an A level and an extended =3 A levels its all BTEC so will be done in units so should be relatively simple( I hope).

I want to become a financial analyst and rise up through the ranks in that career path. It requires me to have an A in anything Math related and nothing below a B. It'll be challenge,one i'll happily accept though.

As for the course you mentioned i read up a little on it and it does sound good but would it be accepted. I'm only curious as I've never heard of such a course before.

In reality though i'll just be doing Math GCSE with economics while doing a 1 year level 3 BTEC extended diploma. As its BTEC i feel it wouldn't be to much to handle as it's mostly paper based and i'll be learning math alongside it which is a bonus for revision and Economics will be the only new experience for me which i'll spend a lot of time revising on since I've never approached the subject before. My only issue would be doing it online on a program such as ool since I've never used it before i don't know if it's reliable so i'm a bit wary of it.

Just was thinking if CCEA GCSE LFLW is accepted if it'd be smarter to do that this year and economics next year?

Thanks for all the help mate.

I think your 'A Level' plan sounds great (other than the 'ool' website, you could try to find a tutor who has taught the course before) because it's really linked to your career choice. However, I do have some info for your GCSE plan.

So your GCSEs:
1. Maths
2. English
3. Science (I will presume you're doing single award for now)
4. RS
5. Economics/ Accounting / Business Studies (read below)
6. LFLW (technically called LLW)

About LFLW, My relative said that was her easiest subject. In terms of acceptance, unis did count her A* for medicine but unis cared A LOT more about her A Level results but I suppose unis do think it is as a 'soft' subject.It is a rare course because CCEA is a Northern Irish board so not many people out of NI will have heard of it (I think me or u should open a new thread on this). You should check if your exam center will allow you because I presume there won't be many that do it outside NI (It also has coursework). I suggested LFLW just if you wanted an 'easy' GCSE to get C or above.

You may find Economics (You might find buying or borrowing textbooks for each course you're doing will help you) challenging but it's an IGCSE related to your career choice so I think it would help you in the future and in the Extended Diploma

If you do LFLW, you will have 5 GCSEs which is the bare requirement so if you find Economics too time consuming due to your unfamiliarity you can just drop it.

Also, these courses might interest you if you want an alternative for Economics or an extra GCSE (just make sure the workload isn't too much) :
Edexcel IGCSE Accounting:
- http://qualifications.pearson.com/en/qualifications/edexcel-international-gcses-and-edexcel-certificates/international-gcse-accounting-2009.html

Cambridge IGCSE Accounting (I remember this because my relative had a debate between Accounting and Art one):
http://www.cie.org.uk/programmes-and-qualifications/cambridge-igcse-accounting-0452/

OCR A Level Accounting (I think you have enough A Levels though):
http://www.cie.org.uk/programmes-and-qualifications/cambridge-igcse-accounting-0452/

GCSE Business Studies (available in any exam board, I know it has coursework for CCEA) - unis do consider this a 'soft' subject

International GCSE Economics info (copied of my schools' GCSE guide)
Objectives:
To develop students’ knowledge and understanding of economic concepts and enablethem to apply these concepts to real-life situations.
To enable students to interpret and evaluate economic data in order to make reasonedarguments and informed judgements.
To develop students’ awareness of economic change and its impact on developing anddeveloped economies.
To develop students’ knowledge and understanding of economic issues, problems andpossible solutions that affect mixed economies.
To enable students to participate effectively in society as citizens, producers andconsumers. Topics:- 1. The Market system 2. Business Economics 3. Government and the Economy 4. The Global Economy Overview of assessment A 2 ½ hr untiered examination marked out of 120 and suitable for all levels of students.

Hope this helps!

Quick Reply

Latest