The Student Room Group

Anyone know of College Confidential?

Well, basically, it's the US version of TSR..

but it's much more concentrated towards coleges & college life

there aren't any general discussion forums, but a seperate forum for all(i think) unis

anyway, there are loads of people there so if you're interested in american unis, you should be able to find a lot of info (and a lot of 'my chances?' posts as well, but oh well...)

the url is talk.collegeconfidential.com
College Confidential isn't really quite like TSR- it's got many more categories and colleges, because of course, the US is five times more populous- but also it doesn't really have the same tone as TSR. TSR is more irreverent, has a big range of discussion topics, is more entertaining, but College Confidential is more earnest in tone, has heaps of boring statistics, is dry and quite dull, and there is too much boasting- for example, there is a big section on CC which features parents, usually mothers, having extended (statistics based) boasts about their kid. Yawn.
Oh gosh, don't get me started on College Confidential (or CC as those who frequent the boards call it). I think that message board is largely responsible for the frenzy of US admissions, to be honest- sometimes I wonder if any of those students have souls. And the chances threads are ridiculous- no one can know for sure about whether you'll get in or not- it's all lucky guesswork. And it irritates me to no end all the parents posting on behalf of their children- if their children can truly get into top notch schools, then in my opinion they can damn well do their own research about universities. TSR>CC by a million degrees.
Reply 3
I think it's ridiculous that they charge loads of money for courses and additional help. $15000 for ensured acceptance to any uni (not admitted? Money back!) is pretty much like bribery.

Rich people should not have benefits over poor ones when applying to unis.
lol_nl
I think it's ridiculous that they charge loads of money for courses and additional help. $15000 for ensured acceptance to any uni (not admitted? Money back!) is pretty much like bribery.

I agree with your point that the rich should not have uni advantages...but those who believe that they will be ensured acceptance to any college for a fee is exceedingly gullible and is likely to be taken for a ride. Kids do pay money for SAT courses though, but those are hundreds of dollars, and not thousands.
Reply 5
lol_nl

what? are you saying that anyone could pay $15k and get into Harvard? ridiculous.
Oh my goodness, please, the two can hardly be compared

Typical Thread:

''Chance me'' HYPSM
800/800/800/790 SAT IIs - arrrrrgh i'm sooooo upset about the 790 - going to have to retake ....
1-50 ECs - started own businesses,CGI, Published Novels, Ranked 1 etc etc

''Hmmm, your ECs don't really stand out for someone with your background - basically, stop everything you've been doing for the past 3 yrs and become someone else - then maybe''
Reply 7
yea, i know that cc is more of 'my chances' than anything else.. but if you look past that, it is actually possible to know a bit more about american unis
i mean, in that terms, cc is better

well, the name says a lot i guess
the 'student' room, more about life of a normal student
'college' confidential, more about unis...
Reply 8
I'm a much more frequent poster on CC than TSR, but TSR posters do seem to be a lot friendlier. #cyber#
Reply 9
CC has managed to knock just about every hope I had of getting into a good US uni, especially cus my 2170 (hopefully going up after i re-did this morning) is just like waaaaayyy to bad for HYPS. As one person put it... 'they don't accept students becuase of those scores, they accept students despite those scores' Great :tongue:

There is one funny thread where some guy asked to be chanced at Harvard, with around 2100 on SAT, and I think he was black. People said he had a 10-20% chance of gettin in, and others said he had no chance. He came back a few months later and said 'haha I got in Harvard EA' Shows how crap the whole chances thing are
Yeah, CC freaks me out a bit... My MOM was reading it yesterday about UC regents scholarships...
Louise_1988
CC has managed to knock just about every hope I had of getting into a good US uni, especially cus my 2170 (hopefully going up after i re-did this morning) is just like waaaaayyy to bad for HYPS. As one person put it... 'they don't accept students becuase of those scores, they accept students despite those scores' Great :tongue:

There is one funny thread where some guy asked to be chanced at Harvard, with around 2100 on SAT, and I think he was black. People said he had a 10-20% chance of gettin in, and others said he had no chance. He came back a few months later and said 'haha I got in Harvard EA' Shows how crap the whole chances thing are

well tbh some said he had a 10-20% chance which imo is very high.

im thinking about doing a thread there but i dont think therell be any point..will probably get blasted by hundreds of yanks who dont realise we just dont do that many ECs in UK...will PMing Northstarmom only give me quite a good reply? i heard that shes who CC god when it comes to admissions chances/interviews etc.
I wouldn't post there if I were you- funnily enough, in spite of their grades and SAT scores, those kids can be pretty clueless about real life. PMing people might be better. If you would like to PM me about US admissions, feel free.
Reply 13
abrp
well tbh some said he had a 10-20% chance which imo is very high.

im thinking about doing a thread there but i dont think therell be any point..will probably get blasted by hundreds of yanks who dont realise we just dont do that many ECs in UK...will PMing Northstarmom only give me quite a good reply? i heard that shes who CC god when it comes to admissions chances/interviews etc.

ive also heard that she doesnt really reply to PMs... she gets too many.

Chances threads are completely pointless, what do you want to be told? The only thing I could possible understand is if you post at the beginning of your junior year asking how to improve your application, so that you can actually act upon the words of crap people tell you on CC.
its ok..ive already PMed ebony about it :cool:

Latest

Trending

Trending