The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Manchester or Salford?

I'm looking at doing a MSc and I have Sheffield as a high enough option although I kind of would prefer to be in Manchester to do my MSc.

So as for UoM and Uni of Salford, I'm looking at the faculties of the built environment and planning etc... and I'm looking for guidance as to which would be better? So far, my points are....

- UoM has a better overall 'prestige' and reputation as a Uni

- School of the built environment has a higher reputation in Salford than UoM

- UoM MSc I'm interested in is very new and maybe not as 'established' as Salford?

- Salford only requires a 2.2 BA to get in, UoM asks for a 2.1. I have a 2.1 but would the lesser requirement in Salford make the degree any less desirable?

- Salford much smaller, so is it easier or harder to get to meet new people? I hear UoM is amazing for meeting new people from all over the world. Is UoM mainly UK students? (That wouldn't be an issue, I'm fine with either, but it would be nice to meet people from other cultures here I think)

So any help in making a decision would be really appreciated... :-)
Reply 1
Ehm... Is this an actual question?

Manchester, obviously!
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Original post by Summit
Ehm... Is this an actual question?
Manchester, obviously!

See I thought that but I've been told by a few that their school for the built environment isn't 'great' compared to other options (not necessarily salford).
Reply 3
Original post by ExpandingSmaller
See I thought that but I've been told by a few that their school for the built environment isn't 'great' compared to other options (not necessarily salford).

I'm not planning on studing anything closely related to built environment, however Salford's reputation is not in the slightest bit comparable to Manchester's, not in the UK and certainly not abroad.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending