The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
i understand the point OP is trying to make, when you go to another country the people you see immediately represent the kind of country you'll be in (sort of) say go Japan and you land you're like 'wow I'm in Japan blah blah'

(then again there could be Koreans, Chinese working at those airports)

I think the UK prides itself on multiculturalism so when people arrive they'd be like 'wow, this place is so multicultural, nice!' so I guess sort of like that.

Wouldn't say an airport is a national symbol for any country, though.
Original post by Michael P
It is a social experiment.

Sounded more like a rant or a gripe to me. I'm not criticising that. If you want to rant or gripe that's ok to get it off your chest but don't pass it off as something rational like an experiment.

Unless you're experimenting whether we'll buy that. I'm saying this because you didn't mention this in the OP and only seem to have tagged it on postOP
Reply 22
[QUOTE=K.C;57481863]i understand the point OP is trying to make, when you go to another country the people you see immediately represent the kind of country you'll be in (sort of) say go Japan and you land you're like 'wow I'm in Japan blah blah'

(then again there could be Koreans, Chinese working at those airports)

I think the UK prides itself on multiculturalism so when people arrive they'd be like 'wow, this place is so multicultural, nice!' so I guess sort of like that.

Wouldn't say an airport is a national symbol for any country, though.

I'd say Heathrow is or should be the national identity of Britain because it's the biggest airport in the UK and second biggest in the world. If you've ever been to Heathrow, you'll see a British looking man dressed as a royal guard on posters throughout the walkway from the terminals to the Heathrow express and underground. It was clear to me that he is supposed to represent London. So now I'm seeing a contradiction between him and the Asian people who give Heathrow a non British feeling...
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by ToadintheHold
Cause Brits are known to integrate with other communities when living abroad?
What you are saying could apply to any set of human beings.

By singling out Asians and Muslims that is discrimination and therefore racism. Not saying your racist just the way it comes across.

So I'm meant to accept anti-British/anti-White racism by Asians because Brits aren't nice abroad?

That's not really a ... good argument.
TL;DR
Reply 25
I'd say Heathrow is or should be the national identity of Britain because it's the biggest airport in the UK and second biggest in the world. If you've ever been to Heathrow, you'll see a British looking man dressed as a royal guard on posters throughout the walkway from the terminals to the Heathrow express and underground. It was clear to me that he is supposed to represent London. So now I'm seeing a contradiction between him and the Asian people who give Heathrow a non British feeling...

I understand what you're saying but really those posters serve as *what you're coming for and what you're leaving*, at the end of the day, a job is a job -- tourists won't & don't really care what race the airport staff would be especially when they're looking at the architecture, the designs, the posters all around the airport.

Maybe if it were a country like Russia, for example -- you'd be more surprised at lets say a black person working in the airport.
Original post by 80sUnderground
UK these days is a piece of ****. You try to interact with minorities and actually buy in to the multicult even perhaps marry a non white but these people dont actually afford you the same treatment that a lot white folk do if the boot was on the other foot. But yeah a definite attitude problem at Heathrow, cos its on the edge of Southall. Most of the regional airports and Luton/Stansted are a lot better.

Haha I knew you were a troll! Going around pretending to be an extreme Muslim in other threads. You expect us to believe your 'for' multiculturalism? :s-smilie:

Choose the right path. Niqab must be worn right now especially cos its Ramadhan, dont go down the western route, your old man is right. Going out in jeans and shirt will only lead to harder stuff; its a slippery slope. Inshallah you'll make the right call init.

Yep I couldn't agree more. I decided to do an experiment to test the reactions of Asians working at travelEX currency exchanges throughout terminal 5. In this experiment, I approached the cashiers and asked them if they could change one £20 into two £10 notes. The first cashier was an elderly Asian man, and as I expected, he said that I must buy currency in order for him to change the notes.

I approached a further 5 Asian cashiers and asked the same and received the same outcome as with the first encounter.

However, after walking throughout the terminal, I managed to find a beacon of light - a lovely middle aged British girl, cockney and proud. I asked her the same and without question she gave me two tens without even asking if I wanted to buy any currency. She smiled and wished me a good flight.

Coincidence? Or was this a connection between two like minded British people? I wonder if an Asian were to ask what I asked, would the Asians cashiers be as cold and sterile to them as they were me? It is this kind of customer service that is part of what Britishness is - going above sand beyond...

Yes that is a very definitive test, your research methods and participant pool were beyond reproach. Which research journal will you be publishing in?
In answer to thread title: Yes.
Original post by eskimo_rising
Haha I knew you were a troll! Going around pretending to be an extreme Muslim in other threads. You expect us to believe your 'for' multiculturalism? :s-smilie:

Yes that is a very definitive test, your research methods and participant pool were beyond reproach. Which research journal will you be publishing in?

Bruv. I am a ****ing practising muslim. More practising than most Asians, I am fasting right now....
UK these days is a piece of ****. You try to interact with minorities and actually buy in to the multicult even perhaps marry a non white but these people dont actually afford you the same treatment that a lot white folk do if the boot was on the other foot. But yeah a definite attitude problem at Heathrow, cos its on the edge of Southall. Most of the regional airports and Luton/Stansted are a lot better.

Bruv. I am a ****ing practising muslim. More practising than most Asians, I am fasting right now....

:s-smilie:

Your a white Muslim with a bee in his bonnet because you feel like your not included by non-white muslims/minorities? Throw me a bone here because this is confusing.
Original post by SotonianOne
So I'm meant to accept anti-British/anti-White racism by Asians because Brits aren't nice abroad?

That's not really a ... good argument.

No, you definitely should not accept it. But not because this is done by Brits or Asians, but because it is not right.

To single out a race as behaving a certain way that you criticise is by definition racist. Farrage had to learn that lesson the hard way.
I don't think it's racist, because if it were in another country they would be saying the same thing. If British people were the only ones working in an Indian airport for example, they would question it too.
Wait for this ... NO, I don't think the OP is racist. He is just stating his observations, he isn't belittling these people (unlike the Fedex guy who seemed to think that Asian people as a whole offer bad customer service).

OP, why do you care about the airport, I don't think its reflective of British society. Heres the pictures that come up when you google image search "houses of parliament debate":

Screen Shot 2015-07-01 at 23.46.41.jpg

These are the people that represent Britain in international conferences and they are the ones that go on TV. As you can see, there aren't many Asians or Blacks.

Fortunately or unfortunately, these lot all fit into the stereotypical view of British people...
Original post by K.C
I understand what you're saying but really those posters serve as *what you're coming for and what you're leaving*, at the end of the day, a job is a job -- tourists won't & don't really care what race the airport staff would be especially when they're looking at the architecture, the designs, the posters all around the airport.

Maybe if it were a country like Russia, for example -- you'd be more surprised at lets say a black person working in the airport.

too many people have this misconception that eastern europe has no blacks in public life or that blacks are hated...

the news anchor of russia's second biggest television network is black, and there's a councillor of moscow city council that is black
Reply 34
Original post by SotonianOne
too many people have this misconception that eastern europe has no blacks in public life or that blacks are hated...
the news anchor of russia's second biggest television network is black, and there's a councillor of moscow city council that is black

I'm not saying there aren't any black people there, I'm just making the assumption that there are fewer black people there than there are Asians in the UK
move to cornwall then, im the only minority -.- all cities are a melting pot of cultures this is normally on a worldwide scale
however, they aren't aliens, human beings just like you, just because they are from somewhere else doesn't mean they are clones or that much different from you...
Reply 37
What do you think racism is? Of course this is racism.
Didn't read. Too naive
Reply 39
Original post by jasonlu

OP, why do you care about the airport, I don't think its reflective of British society. Heres the pictures that come up when you google image search "houses of parliament debate":

These are the people that represent Britain in international conferences and they are the ones that go on TV. As you can see, there aren't many Asians or Blacks.

Well no. This is how the UK unfortunately chooses to portray itself to the outside world:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/michelle-obama/11677903/Michelle-Obama-in-London.html
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3127380/So-glossy-tall-No-wonder-girls-look-Michelle-JANE-FRYER-sees-Michelle-Obama-inspire-hundreds-London-school.html

You would really need to drunk around a gallon of multicult kool-aid to think this sort of stuff isn't terrible.
(edited 8 years ago)

Latest